Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
pre_medicalrulz are you cutting for aesthetic or hair health reasons? Your hair doesn't look unhealthy. Since you're protective styling most of the time, have you considered Chicoro's Goal Point Trimming method?

Last edited:

Aireen

The crown of my head is sooooo itchy... ugh! I'm wondering if I washed out all the shampoo from that area because this is the first time I've had any kind of itching in a long time. The area is also kind of tender because I keep trying to scratch it. No flakes though but I've got an extra funky smell coming from there and it's really itchy so I better wash today or tomorrow. I'll miss my flat-iron loool. (Sorry for tmi, ladies. I'm very descriptive.)

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
pre_medicalrulz are you cutting for aesthetic or hair health reasons? Your hair doesn't look unhealthy. Since you're protective styling most of the time, have you considered Chicoro's Goal Point Trimming method?

Im going to look this up unless you have a link...sounds interesting.

Yea def healthy ends. My ends seemed fragile to me...worn down.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Goal Point Trimming per Chicoro

What is a Length Based Trim and How Do You Incorporate It into Your Routine?

If you are trying to gain length, then a length based trim may be just for you. Instead of trimming your hair based on a time table such as every 6 to 8 weeks, you base your trim on other factors: its length and your hair goals.

The length based trim should be performed on hair that has been 'thermally' or heat straightened. This includes but is not limited to blow drying, flat ironing and/or pressing. Once you have your hair relatively straight and styled in a way that you like to wear your hair, examine your ends. You will see that some hair is going to be longer than other hairs. The bulk or majority of your hair will be at the same length. Those longer hairs will make your hair appear scraggly and uneven on the ends.

Identify where the bulk of the hair is.
Determine the next length that you would like your hair to reach. It should not be more than 2-4 inches longer than the bulk of your hair.
Trim off the hair that goes beyond the goal length.
Allow your hair to fill in thickly at the new goal point length. Keep it trimmed at this length until the bulk fills in at the new length!

Congratulations! You now know how to perform a length based trim. I also call this the "Goal Point Method." You use this type of trim when you are trying to gain length, as fast as possible, on healthy hair.

TRIM Every 6-8 Weeks = To Maintain Length
TRIM Based on Length= To Reach Goal Length Faster
Only CUT = To Change Hair Style or Remove Damaged Ends

pre_medicalrulz, she has a more complex explanation in her book.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Should You Trim Your Hair Every 6 to 8 Weeks?

A trim is defined as, "To put into a neat or orderly condition by clipping, paring, pruning, etc." A trim is also defined as, "A haircut that restores the previous cut to neatness without changing the hairstyle." Now that we have a common definition of what a trim is, should you trim your hair every 6 to 8 weeks? Let's talk about it.

Trimming your hair based on a time frame, such as every 6 weeks or 8 weeks is not a method to make your hair grow faster. Trimming does not make hair grow. For most of us, trimming the hair this frequently is a way to MAINTAIN our current length.

For some of us, it is way to keep our hair ends neat as the hair gains length, slowly. For almost all of us, trimming the hair based solely on a timetable of 6 to 8 weeks is not the fastest way to gain length.

Why not? This is because hair, especially afro textured hair, grows in whorls.

Think of hair used for weaving. It is all the same length. If you take that hair and wrap it around someone's head, around and around, that's a kind of whorl.

Although that weaved hair is the same length, once you start wrapping it around a head, some of it seems longer or shorter. This is due to the location of the weaved hair on the head. Think of a sea shell. The shell goes around and around, in whorls.

Our natural hair grows the same way as that wrapped piece of weaving hair and that shell. These are all examples of whorls.

My suggestion is to trim your hair on a time based schedule only when your goal is to neaten up the ends of a style you wish to maintain, at your hair's current length. A trim is for maintenance. A cut is used to CHANGE the hair. A cut is used to give yourself a new style, to completely remove split or damaged ends or to shorten the current length.

If you are trying to gain length, a trim can be useful for your purpose. The caveat or catch is that the trim should not be time based. The trim should be length based.

BeautifyBitByBit.com

Chicoro

ckisland

pre_medicalrulz , fingers crossed that your appointment goes well and your stylist does what you ask. Because if you come back with a salon horror story, there's going to be a mob of LHCFers waiting for certain stylist to get off work :bat:

I'm considering trimming a little more and restarting at full APL. After going back and forth on whether to stay natural or not, I'm excited to start a new HHJ as a predominately straight natural. Off to do even more research :lol:!!

Last edited:

Aireen

This may be an unpopular opinion but @pre_medicalrulz, I say trim to where you need to/feel comfortable. There is NO point to worn down ends on a healthy hair care journey. If you need a fresh start before progressing towards HL-TBL then cut as much as you need. Also, if protective styling is what helps you and you want to/you're willing to use that method to get to your goal then do it. Listen to yourself and what you know will benefit your hair. You said in a previous post that listening to others caused your ends to become weak, this is the perfect time to go back to what you're used to doing – following your own advice. Forget about trying to get to a certain length before the end of 2014, yeah it would be great but ultimately healthy hair is a journey not a race; this challenge is going to be remade for 2016 anyway.

ManiiSweetheart

My sister said she's going natural and she wants my help ... ive been waiting for her to make a desicion for 4 years

ChocolatePie777

I think my longest layer is waist length (grazing ) but I'm not sure.....ill check when I cowash tonight.......but I still feel like I'm bald headed and my hair is not growing...:(

Aireen

OKAY I made a mask after being inspired by a Youtuber. It's whole milk, EVOO, EVCO, and honey. I'm wondering if I should use this as a pre-poo or as a DC before I condition with something more softening.

LaVgirl

Kind of a random, weird post but anyway... I had a dream 3 nights ago that my hair was sooo long, way down my bottom and I pulled it down effortlessly to show off to someone. :lol: And then last night in one of my dreams someone I know flat ironed my hair for me (after I had only asked for a light blowdry) and then I'm like hey why are my ends so neat? And I realized she had chopped my hair to around APL. :nono: Scary!

ManeStreet

Aireen I'm joining. I fell short for the 2013 challenge so now I'm here.

-Current length + hair type: Waist length, 3c with color & Soft-liss bkt
- Regimen: Wash & deep condition about every 7-10 days then braidout, twistout or flatiron. Moisturize & seal every day. Regular trims.

- Exact goal length: Hip length. 3 inches away.

- Goal date: August 2014

- Plans

- Maintenance once goal is achieved: Regimen will stay the same Regular trims to maintain healthy ends.

ManeStreet

This may be an unpopular opinion but @pre_medicalrulz, I say trim to where you need to/feel comfortable. There is NO point to worn down ends on a healthy hair care journey. If you need a fresh start before progressing towards HL-TBL then cut as much as you need. Also, if protective styling is what helps you and you want to/you're willing to use that method to get to your goal then do it. Listen to yourself and what you know will benefit your hair. You said in a previous post that listening to others caused your ends to become weak, this is the perfect time to go back to what you're used to doing – following your own advice. Forget about trying to get to a certain length before the end of 2014, yeah it would be great but ultimately healthy hair is a journey not a race; this challenge is going to be remade for 2016 anyway.

I agree 100%. I spent 2013 working on my ends & trimming off sketchy ends & at first I was bummed but I didn't make hip length in 2013 but then I saw how worthwhile it actually was to have ends in good shape.

Aireen

Got a corrective relaxer today. Doing a super protein treatment in 6 days to try to replenish my hair. If I had enough patience, I'd do a search and destroy too – we'll see.

NTS: I have to do one on my mum too.

Last edited:

syncerelyhis

Aireen

I'm late I know but :bouncegre can I join?

- Current length + hair type

Currently Grazing WL. 4A. Relaxed.

- Regimen
vitamins daily - Biotin, Prenatal
protective styling daily at least 50% of the time
pre-poo (oils - castor, olive, etc) & washing (shea moisture moisture retention shampoo) & protein treatment (aphogee 2 min) & deep conditioning once per week (ORS Pak or Silk Elements Olive Oil)
moisturizing daily - shea moisture curl & style milkr
exercise
use of direct heat only for length checks/special occassions
trim .5 inch every ten weeks (at least for now, I'm really focusing on thick healthy ends)
Relax every 10/12 weeks

- Exact goal length
Somewhere Btw Hip Length/Tailbone - Not always sure I know the difference.Thick Blunt Ends that sit just above my jeans kinda Like this:

- Goal date
December 2014. I am about 5 inches from where I need to be. My hair grows about .7 inches a month. Factoring in trims I should be able to make my goal.

-Plans
As a newly relaxed lady, I have got to learn to rollerset my hair this year.

- Maintenance once goal is achieved
Will continue to trim to that length, I don't really desire to have my hair any longer....At least not for now:lachen:(we tend to get hair anorexia around here). Continue to treat my hair well - bunning/low manipulation styles.

Aireen

Can't wait for the next 2 inches to grow! I feel like then I'll finally kind of consider my hair long – I hope.