Highlights Anyone????

ellennicole

I'm seriously considering getting highlights. I'm a relaxed 3c, with jet black hair. I've never had any kind of coloring in my hair. I've been too afraid that color coupled with a relaxer would damage my hair. What are the pros and cons of highlights? Also, my main goal is to grow my hair, would I have to do something different in order to maintain healthy hair growth?

NAY007

hey:)

my natural hair color is dark brown and i had highlights three times before. i really like the look and now that ashanti came out with her new look i was tempted to do it too, but i stayed strong and didn't do it:) the reason is that the other times when i had highlights it always damaged my hair tremendously. and since i want to grow my hair long too, i decided to stay away from highlights until i reached my goal. then i might reconsider it. right now my hair is back to healthy. well, it's been back to healthy for a while now. i really love the look but the length and health of my hair is my priority right now. i also have 3b/c hair.

so to sum it up, the pros are, that it looks really good and changes up the look.

the cons are that it will damage the hair and then it might have to be cut, and then it will take even longer to achieve the goal.

sunny

I have relaxed, dark brown hair and earlier this summer i put in my own highlights with some powder lightener and creme developer. Basically i was bored and wanted to see how a few lighter streaks would look on my hair. The few streaks came out great and i had no breakage from it, but that might have been because i didnt lighten a whole lot of my hair. My suggestion though is if you want a drastic change with the highlights then go to a PROFESSIONAL. If you just want to experiment with A FEW SMALL streaks here and there you can do it yourself if you feel up to it.

mrsdst

I have highlights on my 4A relaxed hair. I have had them about four years. I only get touch ups annually. I have been afraid a few times but with EXTRA care and reduced heat it can be done.
(I do it to disguise a few premature gray hairs.)

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi EllenNicolle, I have naturally jet black, relaxed hair too. I decided to get highlights professionally done for my wedding. Thanks to Tracy, the hair color guru, I did not have to suffer breakage.

The main points I came away with were to be diligent about upkeep and vigilant about my hair's needs day-to-day.

Warm oil preshampoo treatments helped as did light-colored rinses from Sebastian's Cellophanes/Colorshines. I had to oil my highlights specifically and I found shea butter did the trick. I also used Feria's Color Moisturizing Treatment conditioner (by L'Oreal) at Tracy's suggestion, which made my highlights sparkle.
Finally, I found that *my* highlighted, relaxed hair required more protein than when it was only relaxed. I upped the protein conditioners to once a week and haven't looked back since. I like Aubrey Organics GPB and Elucence's Extended Moisture Repair Treatment because I have found them to strengthen my hair yet remain moisturizing. I continued to use moisturizing conditioners and leave-ins.

Sorry this is so long! Pros: very pretty, new look; Cons: more serious upkeep, greater risk of breakage due to the double process of relaxer and color.

HTH