• Highlights with a rinse to coat it

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Dye

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 25 54.3%

• Total voters

Tylers-mom

I'm so tempted to get some sort of color into my hair...a dark sandy brown look. I've dyed my hair in the past and have had highlights. But since I'm on a "healthy hair" kick I've only been using rinses and cellophanes. But I want something more prominent. Please help relaxed ladies!
I am SO torn...:perplexed

MizzBrown

They are both bad but I've heard highlighting is REALLY bad because the color has to be lifted from the hair first. In other words, BLEACH.

I get my hair rinsed and used to dye a lot in the past but never did a stylist tell me "You BETTER condition your hair and take care of it!" than when she did when she gave me highlights.

FlawedBeauty

highlights are worse. unless of course you are dying your hair a lighter color. highlights is stripping color from your hair and dyes deposit color. they are both harsh but the dye is the lesser of two evils so to speak :yep:

ETA: I higlighted my hair a few months back no problems. you just have to really keep it moisturized and take care of it. when my highlighted portion was wet i could tell how much weaker it was than the hair that wasnt highlighted.

Last edited:

MizaniLocs

If you're on a "healthy hair kick" I would strongly advise you stay away from both of them.

Especially if it's a color that a rinse can achieve.

Very rarely do I see people (with hair longer than shoulder) with healthy hair and dye/highlights. RARELY.

Tylers-mom

If you're on a "healthy hair kick" I would strongly advise you stay away from both of them.

Especially if it's a color that a rinse can achieve.

Very rarely do I see people (with hair longer than shoulder) with healthy hair and dye/highlights. RARELY.

Thanks so much for that! I think I'll stay away from them both! :yep:

Afro-Indi

highlights are worse. unless of course you are dying your hair a lighter color. highlights is stripping color from your hair and dyes deposit color. they are both harsh but the dye is the lesser of two evils so to speak :yep:

Permanent color, or 'Dye' as the OP states, can be just as damaging if not worse than highlights.
Permanent color ALWAYS lifts color out of the hair no matter what developer is being used; the hair is always being lifted between 1-4 levels, once the color from the hair has been lifted, the permanent color is then deposited.
In most cases permanent color will be more damaging than highlights because the lifting process is being utilized all over the head instead of being used on select strips like highlights.

Last edited:

Barbie83

Permanent color, or 'Dye' as the OP states, can be just as damaging if not worse than highlights.
Permanent color ALWAYS lifts color out of the hair no matter what developer is being used; the hair is always being lifted between 1-4 levels, once the color from the hair has been lifted, the permanent color is then deposited.
In most cases permanent color will be more damaging than highlights because the lifting process is being utilized all over the head instead of being used on select strips like highlights.

Totally agree! OP, it looks like your hair is off black, so to take it to a sandy brown color, you would have to lift color from your hair. Super harsh. Some people can handle both relaxer and color, and I learned the hard way that I am not one of those people.

If you must color, i think highlights (lifting color in a few small places) are safer than lifting color all over your entire head.

Be careful!

Dani.Nicole

I had the same problem as you! I was so tired of my boring black hair...I dyed it black with semi-permanent color. I finally just took the plunge and got highlights. I think that if you already know how to maintain healthy hair, why should highlights make a difference? If you know hair color dries your hair out, then you should know to deep condition and moisturize religiously. Nothing bad has happened so far. My hair doesn't feel or look any less healthy.

NikStarrr

Highlights done without bleach is healthier. Without using bleach, you probably can't get blond shades--but auburns and light browns can be done. A lot of the horror stories from color/highlights we hear are majority because ppl used bleach which is really hard on hair, and isn't always necessary.

NikStarrr

The developer used is actually very important. Plus it also depends on what kind of color the OP would be trying to dye her hair--the darker colors of course use a really low amount of peroxide just enough to open the cuticle and then deposit the color--which causes little to no damage on most heads. The lighter colors can be more damaging because they need a stronger developer (more peroxide)--enough to open the cuticle lighten the hair enough for the lighter hair color to show up.

I think people assume highlights are worse because for some reason most people's highlights are done using bleach and bleach is really hard on natural hair--let alone hair that has been relaxed. Perhaps because ppl tend to to want blond highlights is why bleach is used. If people wanted lighter browns, honey browns, and auburns--no bleach is needed. And then that done on sporadic strands as opposed to a whole head of dye--would be a lot easier on the hair.

back2relaxed

Since you are wanting to lift your hair color, I would say the highlights would be the way to go. I've had both w/relaxer, and each time I did all over lighter color, my hair dried out, and broke off. I have highlights now, and my hair has responded really well. My stylist as well explained that I would have to keep my deep conditioning game up, and I have...so no issues there. If you just DC at least weekly, reduce heat(direct) if you use it, protective style you will be fine. Make sure you thoroughly moisturize and seal your hair daily as well. Finally make sure you get a professional to do your highlights.