Anyone here growing out highlights?

melodee

I am in the last stages of growing out my highlights. Since my hair is layered, I have the highlights in various sections of my hair at the ends. There is approximately two inches of highlighted ends left. They are dry, frizzy and prone to splits. The ends in the sections where there are no highlights are not in this condition. I have been cutting them off little by little, but I'm considering cutting all the highlighted parts out.

Is there anyone else here having issues w/highlighted or colored ends being dry and frizzy? how can you keep them healthy? Or do you have to just chop?

lisatamika

I'm growing out some too. I dyed my whole head when I was about 20 and I swore to myself that I would NEVER, EVER dye my hair again and what did I go and do?:lol: I guess my thinking was, well if they dye starts to damage my hair, all I have to do it cut it out . . . yeah right!

I did start to notice some breakage so I tried my best to take care of it. Double processed hair is VERY take care of, IMO but it didn't wind up having to cut them out. I still have the highlights on the ends of my hair. I'm just gonna let it grow out and trim it as I normally would :) , HTH.

lilred26

I too have highlights that I am trying to grow out and the ends are dry and prone to splitting. I have wanted to cut the color out so many times, but I think I will maybe put a dark brown rinse over it just to coat it, I'm not for sure yet I'm still playing with the idea in my brain. But what I found really good to work on my ends recently was softsheen/carsons' breakthrough daily moisturizing hair dress and BarnerBros castor oil.

MissM

I'm growing out highlights too, after I swore four years ago that I would never get them again!! I kept them for two months and couldn't stand it-I just love dark hair too much. I put a rinse over mine and it's going to take quite some time to grow them out, like a couple of years cause my hair grows really slow. The parts of my hair that were highlighted are drier and more prone to split ends. I just try to keep them moisturized. I think I would have kept my highlights if I would have chose a color with a gold base instead of an orange base.

tlmack

Don't give up on your highlighted ends. I would try protein treatments to strengthen them.

I have highlights that I'm growing out b/c of damage. I actually love the look and hope to get it back again soon.

I've been growing them out for about 1.5 yrs. I never cut them out. I just keep treating them. Keeping my hair oiled and protein treatments!!!

You can do it!

NAY007

i had highlights several times before but i never let them grow out. i never liked that look on myself. i always used my own hair color (either a dark brown or a soft black) and colored over everything. the darker color will make your seem "healthier" and it won't look as dry. soo i would either color it or as you already mentioned cut it off.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i trim and trim cause mine are dry and seem to split way more than the rest maybe you should just color over them if you want to have instant results without chops all over

melodee

I have used the semi-perm rinses like Jazzing before, but they never last. I wish I was one of those people whose black rinse stained the hair.
I have been cutting the really frizzy and thinned out edges, and there is barely any color left. But there is one patch that always looks frizzy, even after a dominican blowout( when the rest of the hair is bouncy and smooth).

Has anyone used anything other than a semi-perm to rinse out highlights?

blkmaryland

I used John Freida's hair lightening gel April-June--The gel has peroxide in it and even though I didn't use it everyday, it continued to lighten my hair in the sun.....It was very damaging.....It is growing out, and yes my hair has two tones, but I have been wearing my hair in a bun, so you can't see the two colors, and I keep the ends ultra moisturized. Eventually, I will do something in the spring but until then.....I will moisturize, moisturize, moisturize the ends.

ms_kenesha

I'm growing my hair color out, too. I love the highlighted look *I mean LOVE :love:* but I have to admit my non-colored hair looks to be in better condition. I have been dusting to get rid of the color about every month. *Yet, I still talk about dying my hair lighter, :nuts:*

I have been thinking about going over everything with a soft black or dark brown semi perm. The infamous Caramela used to use Clairol Loving Care semi-perm in natural black, although it seems as if Clairol is trying to push it's Loving Care users to Natural Instincts, the corresponding color in that collection is #36 Neutral Black.

melodee

I know what you mean, K. I love the way golden highlights warm up my face, or the way auburn makes me look spicy. But I also love my dark hair, and it's way stronger than the color treated hair,especially when it comes to the ends.

I'm glad you brought up Loving Care and Natural instincts. Why does Loving care say not to use on previously highlighted hair? Is it b/c it would stain it, cause that's what I wish would happen. And is Natural Instincts gentle enough. It does have some peroxide, although less than regular dyes and no ammonia. I was thinking of giving it a go. Rinses and semi-perms don't last a week on these ends.