Here are the Directions on How to Do a Straw Set

KinksnCurlz

Ms. Web (that's me
) was surfing looking for some spiral rods and i came across this information. Very detailed and thorough, i like it - i love it
. Thought this might be of use to the ladies attempting to achieve a head full of beautiful curls. Hopefully, I'll be able to try this on Friday (with the help of a friend of course) and take a pic
(since I now know how to work my camera... YIPPEEE
) and post it by Monday afternoon.

How to do a Straw Set

Straw sets are exactly what the name implies, hair is wet set onto drinking straws. It's a great way of temporarily getting the corkscrew, spirally look that has become so popular.

This set is really best done with help of a friend. You need to start by purchasing plastic drinking straws at you local grocery or department store. You will probably find the larger diameter straws easier to work with than the smaller ones. Now shampoo and condition your hair as usual and towel blot. A salon tip we use is to put a small very amount silicone product such as Kerasoft's Glosify Hair Polish into the hair as well at this point and comb it through. It really helps to later control frizzies and puff in the hair as well as adds a great deal of shine.

With a tail comb starting at the top of one ear, section out a very small section of your hair and run your comb down its length, the most important part of this set is small sections. Apply a good quality setting lotion or a styling gel that can be used to wet set with to the hair you have sectioned out, carefully following manufactures instructions for product usage and place one end of the straw at the base of this section, angle it downwards and now wrap it around the straw, spiraling it down the end (like the threads on a screw) and secure in place with a clip or bobby pins (for the shorter hair sections you may use scissors to trim the straw to a correct length to clip or pin easier). You also have the option of twisting the hair before you spiral it on to the straws, this will give a more springy/coily than ribbony look to the finished style. **interjecting to say
hmmm, very interesting**

Continue this down toward the nape of the neck following the perimeter of the hair line repeating the sectioning and wrapping. When you reach the top of the other ear reverse and work your way back the other direction, until the whole back of your head is done. Measured by a line from the top of one ear across the head to the other, this is the back half. Now start the same procedure to the front. Again working from the top of one ear around the perimeter of the front over to the other ear and then reverse back, until the front half is done. This set will take some time and It is important that you keep the hair that is not yet set damp by spraying it with water from time to time until you are ready apply the lotion or gel and spiral down.

You can now air dry the set, letting it just dry naturally (this will take the better part of a day, less if it is hot and dry out), use a hood dryer if you have one or use a diffuser on a blow-dryer to slowly dry your hair, do not use a blow dryer without a diffuser on your hair as this will lead to a poor result. After your hair is dry carefully remove all of the straws and apply a little of the silicone based product as mentioned prior to your hair by putting a little in your palms and scrunching it into your hair. Do not comb or over manipulate your hair as this will lead to separation of the spirals and take away from the look you just went through a great deal of time and effort to achieve.

JenJen2721

Re: Directions on How to Do a Straw Set

Wow, thanks for posting this!!! How long does it usually take to do a straw set? This is a good style for transitioning too, right?

PrettyBrownEyes

This is great CH, I'm going to print it out. I found it useful to help me improve my regular roller sets.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
You also have the option of twisting the hair before you spiral it on to the straws, this will give a more springy/coily than ribbony look to the finished style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...that part was very interesting. I'm gonna have to try this.

KinksnCurlz

It takes a longgg longgg longggg time

I had the flexirod set done before and it took her about an hour to set it... 2.5 hours to dry...

Cat_Eyed_Cutie

It took my stylist at least 2.5 hours to set my hair and about an hour to dry it...it was a pain, but it looked great and lasted 2 weeks.