Help with hair thinning at nape

Garner

I need some advice from my LHCF sisters regarding thinning at the nape. I use a satin scarf nightly. I tie it tightly to lay down the edges and I had been using banana clips during the day which have also been tight at times. It appears these two regimens could have been the problem but what is a girl to do? In stretching you have to have a scarf to lay down the edges. I just purchased some satin scarfs, but if tying the scarfs too tight are part of the problem, I might need to consider bonnets? Any suggestions regarding this and resolving the thinning in the nape area? :sad:

PassionFruit

if you tie the knot in the back, move it to the side, or to the front.. rotate it...

I dont tie my scarfs... I use a wrap thing to hold it down

Platinum

I didn't do well with bonnets. I wore them a few years ago but think the elastic rubbing on my nape made it worse.

Jetblackhair

I think you are right about the banana clip and the scarf. At night, you can use a bonnet and if the elastic bothers you, just turn the bonnet inside out. You can then just roll the edge of the bonnet up, like you are flipping it up.

In the morning if you need to lay your edges down then tie your scarf on your head while you get ready. As far as the banana clip, give your hair some time away from using it. You may be able to create a similar look by using other hair accessories or bobby pins...be creative.

HTH

I think you answered your own problem. You ain't need us :grin:!
  • don't tie your scarves there and don't tie'em too tight; give that area a break
  • how are you wearing your hair? rub castor oil there daily and cornrow the hair back there across and give your hair a break. cover the style by wearing a wide head band over it
  • if you relax, don't apply the relaxer there at all next time giving your hair a chance to thicken up and gain strength
HTH

Garner

Thanks so far to those responding. Great IDEAS!!! Right now I am in the 10th week of a 12 wk stretch. I am wearing it in a bun using a satin scrunchie (pardon my spelling). I have a lot of new growth and could wear it down but I usually only do that on Sunday's or when I am going out. I don't self relax so when I go to my hair dresser I will have to tell her to skip that area or make it last. Using the bonnet at night and tie down in the am while preparing for morning sounds good. Any suggestions regarding satin v. silk bonnets/scarfs?

PassionFruit

Thanks so far to those responding. Great IDEAS!!! Right now I am in the 10th week of a 12 wk stretch. I am wearing it in a bun using a satin scrunchie (pardon my spelling). I have a lot of new growth and could wear it down but I usually only do that on Sunday's or when I am going out. I don't self relax so when I go to my hair dresser I will have to tell her to skip that area or make it last. Using the bonnet at night and tie down in the am while preparing for morning sounds good. Any suggestions regarding satin v. silk bonnets/scarfs?

I use satin & silk... as long as it isnt cotton or polyester you should be OK

cecilie

I have the same problem I think that you answer yourself in part of your problem , what style do you wear when streching be careful with braid and sew-in you must avoid tension on your nape and make low manip .
You can check my Fotki I updated today ( after8 months of strech ) and I have pics for my nape .
Cecilie .

First thing, you have to stop tying your scarves tight. You're might be cutting off vital circulation. Second, I have that problem too. I've started using silk drops (anti-breakage serum) to the nape area, to stop the hair from breaking. Let's see where I am in 6 months. It's all about babying the area.

Garner

During stretching I usually wear a pony tail, except on Sundays or special occasions which is when I wear it down. That's one of the reasons I tied the scarf tightly, to tame new growth. I have no weaves or braids. What type of silk drops are you using?

Misseyl

When I use to visit the salon I use to have that problem but no more..

Now are you sure the relaxer is being rinsed out properly in that area?
Does the beautician rinse w/neutralizing shampoo the top of the sink before she places your head there?
Is that area overlapping during the relaxing process?

Believe it or not but not neutralizing properly, IMO, is one of the reasons why relaxed hair breaks... Since I've been self-relaxing, my nape area has grown in and I no longer suffer breakage. My temples have always been thin which I attribute to genetics but since I've been doing my hair myself even my temples are making progress..

Garner

I never noticed whether she rinsed the top of the sink. I am going to have a retouch in 2 more wks and discuss these ideas with her. I self-relaxed long ago. I don't have the water pressure to get out all of the relaxer though. :sad: I may tell her to skip this area or make it last.