2008 NAPE CHALLENGE!!! Who's with me?

Ivonnovi

I've added pic of my nape. In the past I've tried trimming it (& it itched when growing back), and waxing it off (& the area broke out' itched when growing in); so my goal is to grow it till I can include it into my ponytails.

The Pictures are of my nape about 3 months post my waxing "incident".
In the 3rd picture I've manged to twist it into a lil'horn. :grin:
In the 5th pic, the entire nape has been cornrowed tothe center then included in the "PhonyPony.

Attachments

• Nape1.jpg
    Nape1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Nape2.jpg
    Nape2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Nape3.jpg
    Nape3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Nape4.jpg
    Nape4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Napebraided2.jpg
    Napebraided2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

locabouthair

I've added pic of my nape. In the past I've tried trimming it (& it itched when growing back), and waxing it off (& the area broke out' itched when growing in); so my goal is to grow it till I can include it into my ponytails.

The Pictures are of my nape about 3 months post the my waxing "incident".
In the 3rd picture I've manged to twist it into a lil'horn. :grin:
In the 5th pic, the entire nape has been cornrowed tothe center then included in the "PhonyPony.

I think cornrowing it is a great idea.

I'm gonna do that when mine gets longer.

Ivonnovi

Come on, Ya'll gotta posts pics and routines so we can be motivated &/or help &/or see your progress!

cecilie

I have a section of nape challenge in my Fotki because my nape is my TRAFALGAR ....
I'm with you .
I use to moisturise my nape twice a day with spray an once with moisturiser cream .
I'll do the next pics from nape in the begening of september .

longhaircraver

Girl my nape is a mess. I shaved it off. I am going to buy some peppermint oil and start the circulation. I will braid it and pray for growth!! I am so in. I am a newbie so i will put up some pics when i can!!

complexsimplicity

I would like to join also!!! I have also had problems with nape thinning. Due to tying scarf too tight, overprocessing, and using banana clip too tightly. Right now I don't know what styles to wear. :sad: I am due for a re-touch Friday, 4/25/08 after a 12 wk stretch. I plan on following some of the advice of my LHCF sisters :) and will not relax that area except maybe 2 X a yr, as well as not using the banana clip at all and I am also considering tex-laxing. Can you tex-lax with a no-lye relaxer? I am currently reading through some threads. Esp the one about going form relaxed to tex-laxed.

that is all me right there. i would wear my satin scarf tight and i was always wearing my hair in a ponytail and that d@mn banana clip. that's y i stopped wearing it a/b two months ago. i knew my nape was bad but this morning during pt it rained all over my pretty lil curlformers set. i was so mad so i had to comb it down to put in a ponytail and my nape is so much shorter than the rest of my hair. i was trying to salvage my set but it jus looked too horrible to leave down bc of how thin my hair looked. i also have a small breakage area in the crown of my head bc while deployed i always wore my hair in a gelled down bun and it broke off. i was seriously thinking a/b jus choppin my hair off this morning but i see that lots of u ladies have longer hair than me and still have short napes. so i'm gonna keep up w/ my hair as is and try and get this nape to grow. i'm so glad i read the part a/b wearing a bonnet more often. i do wear a bonnet but i also wear the satin scarf now bc i want the front lay down bc i have my hair lookin like this...

this is a pic of sistaslick. this is where i got the idea to wear it like this. but i also wear other styles. the bonnet is gonna b my best friend now.

locabouthair

How is everyone doing with this?

My nape is growing. My mom and stylist have noticed it too, but i still need at least 3 inches for it to catch up with the rest of my hair. Because its so short, its making the rest of my hair look thin, so I'm going to gradually trim off the rest of hair, so that it can look even.

I'm still consistent with moisturizing it. I also havent permed it since January and this seems to be helping. I'll try to post pics this weekend.

PinkPebbles

I wasn't officially on this challenge but I had issues with the middle of my nape.

I'm happy to say that my nape have filled in and caught up with the rest of my hair.

When I purchased a tall mirror to see the back of my hair to apply my conditioners, oils, & moisturizers that's when I've noticed progress. I was simply neglecting that area because I couldn't see the back of my hair.

I wish all of you the Best!

hurricane

I would like to join. My nape has thinned out since this pic. I was pinning my hair up with hair pins in the same area. I'm going for MBL by Dec. 31, 2009.

Past

Here is a picture that relects how my hair has been in the nape area for years... I dont know what started it to break off like this. But it does it all the time. Im currently trying to retain the little bit of hair that I now have back there. I've been streaching my relaxers and Most importantly Ive been moisturizing like CRAZY... I currently am using John Frieda Daily Nourishment and BB super grow grease... Any recommendations will greatly be appreciated. My nape is Always extremely DRY!!!!! Which I believe is the cause of the breakage....

Present!!! (not much but some progress)

Attachments

• P7230426.jpg
    P7230426.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 19
  • P7200419.jpg
    P7200419.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 18

locabouthair

^ you made progress girl. my progress isnt much but any progress is good! the fact that our damaged areas can grow back is good.

when you get your relaxers, make sure your nape is being washed out properly. sometimes our nape is rested on the shampoo bowl and doesnt get washed out properly. That can cause major breakage.

locabouthair

Im a newbie here...and my nape needs serious help :ohwell:
Im not sure what to do to help it grow as im just starting to build my regimen but any advice would be greatly appreciated. :yep:
Im not sure how to post a pic but i'm starting my fotki and here is the link theres a pic there:

http://public.fotki.com/JoParks/start-of-my-journey/dsc01190.html

Welcome to the board!

My nape is slowly gorwing back. what has been working for me is not relaxing it. My nape broke off completely in January and I havent relaxed it since. I think thats what allow me to retain what I'm growing. And I moisturize it at least once a day. Massaging that area with essential oils helps also.

The rest of your hair looks thick.

locabouthair

BUMPING

How we doing ladies?

I permed my nape for the first time in almost a year. It has grown back. Not completely but it has made progress. I will post pics this weekend.:yep:

Platinum

I had a setback last month.:sad: My Aunt relaxed my hair. I'm not sure if she didn't wash out the relaxer or if it broke off on it's own. It's growing back; slowly.

natural2008

Count me in as well. My nape is a hot mess. I think the next time I get a texturizer I am going to have her texturize this part last and wash it out first. It seems I have been having these problems for years. I think it originated when I was going to this hair dresser 15 years ago and when I would get a perm she would leave it on and have me lay in the bowl and wash that portion of the perm out last. I tought about cortisone shots but have not gotten one. It also seems that that nape gets kinker faster than the rest of my hair. There have been times when I wanted to go into the shop to just get my two baldspots touched up. Has anyone ever done that?