2008 NAPE CHALLENGE!!! Who's with me?

locabouthair

I just noticed last night that my nape is overprocessed. It's broken off very badly and I think it's because the relaxer wasn't washed out well. But I believe that with some TLC it will be thicker and healthier again.

I've been reading some old threads and this is what i've found.

Causes of nape breakage
Overprocessing
Not rinsing the relaxer out properly
Not neutralizing well
friction from winter coats and scarves
Tying your scarf too tight

Solutions
BABY this area as much as possible
Apply extra conditioner and moisturizer separately
Relax your nape last or every other touch up
Massage it daily ( I plan on using essential oils to stimulate the circulation)
Use hair bonnets instead of scarfs
Texlaxing that area

Mookshair posted a thread on how she grew her nape by cornrowing it.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=3709799&posted=1#post3709799

I know a lot of women here complain about their nape so I started this challenge.

I am very serious about growing it back so who's down?:grin: We can post pics as our nape as it progresses.

Any other suggestions would be grately appreciated. :yep:

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Good Thread!

I have nape problems too, and I think one small spot of my nape is permanently damaged from chemicals. My nape has gotten alot thicker though since I stopped combing it. I just run my fingers through it to keep it detangled and I rub oil on my scalp back there after every wash. I find that it helps the hair from shrinking too tighly once dry. I also started relaxing that section last. I use smaller rollers back there too and I don't roll TOO tightly. I also make sure the knot of my scalf isn't sitting on my nape either. I rubbed a quater size amount of hair out of my head that way before.

locabouthair

Good Thread!

I have nape problems too, and I think one small spot of my nape is permanently damaged from chemicals. My nape has gotten alot thicker though since I stopped combing it. I just run my fingers through it to keep it detangled and I rub oil on my scalp back there after every wash. I find that it helps the hair from shrinking too tighly once dry. I also started relaxing that section last. I use smaller rollers back there too and I don't roll TOO tightly. I also make sure the knot of my scalf isn't sitting on my nape either. I rubbed a quater size amount of hair out of my head that way before.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I know that misuse of chemicals can permanently damage the scalp but I dont understand the science behind it. Does that mean the follicles are damage? Was the relaxer left on too long in that area?

Your reggie sounds very good.:yep:

gymfreak336

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I know that misuse of chemicals can permanently damage the scalp but I dont understand the science behind it. Does that mean the follicles are damage? Was the relaxer left on too long in that area?

Your reggie sounds very good.:yep:

I think my follicles are damaged there. I have a little hair there but it is not nearly as full as the rest of my nape or head. I think that over the years (And I mean from the time I started being relaxed like at 8 until I was 18)being overprocessed and not having my hair properly neutralized has taken its toll on that spot because that is where my neck rests at the shampoo bowl. Its hard to really rinse that spot. I am trying a new product on that spot later on this year to see if it helps. Since focusing on my nape in general it has gotten better though.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I'll join. This nape of mine has a mind of it's own. The hair is baby fine and grows sooooo slow. If I don't relax it, it beads up and really looks horrible. i have to keep it looking neat especially now because i have a short hair cut. I've been using the ovation cell therapy so hopefully it will help keep that area strong and breakfee.

cici22

I wanna join! My nape seems to grow slower than the rest of my hair and it's been damaged from leaving the relaxer in too long and overlapping. In September I decided to start relaxing my nape every other relaxer and it's gained alot of thickness since then, so I'm going to continue to do that and make sure I keep it moisturized.

MrsWatson

i wanna join!! i'm almost too embarassed to post the pics of my nape!!! it's really bad!! :wallbash: i desperately wanna thicken it up and help it grow out as long as the rest of my hair so maybe this will be the perfect challenge for me!! :grin:

Traycee

I had this problem a year ago and I wish I had all these tips......

But mine was caused from wearing my ponytail in the same place....I love low pony tails

Best wishes ladies......

Esq.2B

I just wanted show you ladies my progress in the nape area, while it's not WOW, it is an improvement. My nape used to be the beadedbeads area, coarse, dry and just disappointing. Now ironically it's the only spot in my head that's curly :ohwell:

Going natural definitely helped, so my suggestion would be to relax the nape once a year or twice (every other relaxer), lots of moisture, and keeping it protected.

Then

Now

WOW Tenny, that's definitely an improvement! :yep:

hondahoney007

Add me to the list also please!!!! I have pictures in my fotki. How long is this challenge for?

p.s. Very nice progress Tenny!!!!

Last edited:

nichelle02

I'm in. My nape area is my biggest hair frustration. The right side of it is in worse shape than the left. I've had this same problem for years and I would love to get past it in 2008. I am now relaxing it every other touch up. It gets worse in the winter. But I'm now thinking that it's from my coat and/or sweaters/heavy clothing. I'm going to start putting a silk scarf around my coat collar and lay off of the sweaters to see if that helps.

princess me

I'm in big time.

I need this because I told myself that if my hair doesnt show improvement by March Im going back to my weaves because taking care of my hair is too much work if I dont see changes.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I'm in. I've been using more heat since I've been using henna and stretching (blow drying once a week) so this is right on time.

turnergirl

I will have to join this one. My nape is a mess because of shrinkage and the matting it causes.

I keep it braided up and I press leave in conditioner into the braid after I cowash. Pictures coming later.

Esq.2B

I'm in!

I'll provide a starting pic when I get some batteries for the camera.

I have to figure out how I'm going to achieve this.

pazyamor

I'm in big time.

I need this because I told myself that if my hair doesnt show improvement by March Im going back to my weaves because taking care of my hair is too much work if I dont see changes.

What do you mean "by March"? Anything with lasting effects (like the enjoyment you'll get from long, healthy hair) takes longer than 5 months! Stick in there girl!

On another note, I'm def in for a nape challenge, my nape is just too much to handle, like for real.

Ladia

I want to join! however I am currently in Iraq and I will not be able to fully participate until April (when I get back home). The stress, water quality, and environment has really damaged my hair esp. in the nape area, but I will still make an effort to do what I can.

locabouthair

Yay! more ladies!

I'm gonna make a list so yall can't back out now:lol:

I'm gonna take pics of my nape whenever I feel I'm making progress.

Ladies, feel free to post pics whenever you feel you're making progress.

We can check in every now and then to see how everyone's doing.

Hey guys check out Mooks thread about cornrowing your nape to grow it back.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=3709799&posted=1#post3709799

Last edited:

nichelle02

I want to join! however I am currently in Iraq and I will not be able to fully participate until April (when I get back home). The stress, water quality, and environment has really damaged my hair esp. in the nape area, but I will still make an effort to do what I can.

Well then I hope April comes fast for you! I can't imagine the stress but I wish you a safe journey home.

I'm off to deep condition!