Help thy nape to grow please!!!!!!!

sexyaqr

Okay ladies, first of all, thanks for all the wonderful tips I have learnt since being here. But of course, I am here to ask my ladies for much needed help.

My nape is a shame. I can't seem to get it healthy like the rest of my hair. I need some suggestions, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

For the ladies who once had very short nape here that is now flourishing, share thy secrets. I am desperate. The rest of my hair is very near to bra-strap but the nape isn't responding to the love that I put into my hair

gymfreak336

sexyaqr said:
Okay ladies, first of all, thanks for all the wonderful tips I have learnt since being here. But of course, I am here to ask my ladies for much needed help.

My nape is a shame. I can't seem to get it healthy like the rest of my hair. I need some suggestions, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

For the ladies who once had very short nape here that is now flourishing, share thy secrets. I am desperate. The rest of my hair is very near to bra-strap but the nape isn't responding to the love that I put into my hair

What has helped me alot is to do a separate strand test on my nape every week. I find that it sometimes needs different levels of moisture than the rest of my hair. I also rub stimulating oil on the areas the night before I wash.

gorgeoushair said:
Stretching my relaxers and relaxing the nape last and moisture, moisture, and more moisture. HTH

I agree. And keep the back area protected. Keep it braided if possible.
View the second link in my siggy for some inspiration. : )

Last edited:

yodie

gymfreak336 said:
What has helped me alot is to do a separate strand test on my nape every week. I find that it sometimes needs different levels of moisture than the rest of my hair. I also rub stimulating oil on the areas the night before I wash.

I second and third this suggestion. Moisture is definitely key!! I spritz my hair with Scurl moisturizer at least twice a day. It's been wonderful!! My hair in this area now curls up. I also use Boundless Tresses and take biotin.

My hair is now slowly growing in. YAY!!!!

Lavendar

Moisturizing and protecting made a huge difference for me, especially protecting. My bonnet always rubbed this area or came off and my hair constantly broke. I bought a really big stretchy satin scarf that can wrap around my head twice and now I leave a lot of folded material to cover the nape and neck. When I put my bonnet over that it stays protected all night and my scarf does slip off, in fact all of my edges that constantly broke have grown out.;)

autumnbeauty29

My nape area is the weakest spots on my entire head. I am/was at a lost about what to do with it. I am thinking about trimming the dead ends next week and using a protective style until it catches up.

sexyaqr

Thank you ladies for all the suggestions and I will definitely start doing these things and hope for improvement

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
If you can get away with it, don't relax the nape at all. I haven't relaxed my nape in over 1 year, and it's the longest it has been in a while! :)

sexyaqr said:

autumnbeauty29

bklynwildheart said:
If you can get away with it, don't relax the nape at all. I haven't relaxed my nape in over 1 year, and it's the longest it has been in a while! :)

Will do! Do you suggest clipping the bad ends or letting it grow right now at its down pace? What protective style is the best? I am going to the BSS tomorrow so if I need to buy a cute wig/quick weave I want to know:)

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
I just let mine grow--no clipping. As for protective styling, when I bun my hair, all I did with the nape was probably pin it up. Now that it's longer, I can just incorporate the nape hair into my buns/twist. :up:

Also keep it moisturized! I swear, NTM leave in is the best thing for my nape. It leaves my hair so soft. :D

autumnbeauty29 said:
Will do! Do you suggest clipping the bad ends or letting it grow right now at its down pace? What protective style is the best? I am going to the BSS tomorrow so if I need to buy a cute wig/quick weave I want to know:)

Gryphyn

CandiceC said:
I agree. And keep the back area protected. Keep it braided if possible.
View the second link in my siggy for some inspiration. : )

I agree 100% with this. This is the only way I managed to grow my nape out!!

lizjoseph

Hey, Just make sure that if you end up buying the half wig, don't wear it everyday. The teeth in it will wear your hair out in the front where you place it, especially if you wear it in the same spot day after day. Go for a full wig if you can. Good luck!! :) :)

Miss*Tress

autumnbeauty29 said:
You might not have bad ends. Try moisturizing, i.e. saturating your nape with whatever product you normally use. Don't be afraid to be heavy handed because regardless of how you wear your hair, you can comb the nape to blend in.

I was at my wits' end because of my nape, so this week I used some Anita Grant butters really concentrating on that area. Today, exactly 7 days later, my hair is soft and not snapping off back there.

autumnbeauty29

Miss*Tress said:
You might not have bad ends. Try moisturizing, i.e. saturating your nape with whatever product you normally use. Don't be afraid to be heavy handed because regardless of how you wear your hair, you can comb the nape to blend in.

I was at my wits' end because of my nape, so this week I used some Anita Grant butters really concentrating on that area. Today, exactly 7 days later, my hair is soft and not snapping off back there.

I am going to try and find some of the NTM today, hopefully I will have luck and start using that on my nape area while I keep it braided up..trying to incorporate a style:confused:

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Dear OP: Takes the advice of these ladies! Since LHCF, I've followed all the great advice including - not relaxing for every t/u, relaxing very last whenever I do t/u the nape, moisturizing religiously, extra conditioning and protecting the area has restored my nape thanks to the ladies here. Nowadays I keep my nape area braided up and super moist. When I started my hair journey I couldn't even catch the hair in order to braid it.

Be patient/consistent and it will turn around. HHG!

P.S. Big shout out to CandiceC - my nape grow out inspiration!!:)

my nape is growing!

sexyaqr

This is a great idea also. Never thought of it. But right now it is too short to even braid. Thanks again ladies

blac_quarian said:
Dear OP: Takes the advice of these ladies! Since LHCF, I've followed all the great advice including - not relaxing for every t/u, relaxing very last whenever I do t/u the nape, moisturizing religiously, extra conditioning and protecting the area has restored my nape thanks to the ladies here. Nowadays I keep my nape area braided up and super moist. When I started my hair journey I couldn't even catch the hair in order to braid it.

my nape is growing!

autumnbeauty29

Ok I braided that "kitchen" and uhh I had to braid some braids together because I can't cornrow and it was almost too short to braid on one side:(

But good news I found the NTM at a grocery store today so I applied that and I am going to begin tracking progress on that dear nape back there. It looks worse that a balding babies head who lays down its entire life.

BrooklynSouth

blac_quarian said:

my nape is growing!

My nape is responding to moisturizing constantly. I did the cornrow across as you did but it looks weird on me with the rest of my hair not braided. Do you cover it with hair or leave it exposed? I guess I could do vertical braids upward and it may not be so unusual looking or wear a lower bun. Thanks.

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Brooklyn: I admit, it does look a little weird and exposed in the pic, but IRL it's usually covered by my bun or disguised by a french braid, phony pony etc. It's not as obvious as you would think!

PS, as for the length issue - I used extension in the cornrow until it picked up a bit to go without it. However, if it's just too short to catch braids without risking further damage to the hair, just keep moisturizing religiously ladies, it will pay off:)