NAPE ISSUES...PLEASE HELP

Kiki82

HELLO ALL...I AM NEW TO THE HAIR BOARDS, AND I REALLY NEED SOME HELP. NO MATTER HOW MUCH I TRY TO GROW OUT MY HAIR THE HAIR AT THE NAPE ALWAYS BREAKS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE. IT IS SO BAD THAT MY STYLIST "TOLD" ME THAT I HAVE THE CUT THE HAIR AT NAPE OFF. MY HAIR IS ALMOST BSL, AND THE NAPE WAS ALMOST SL..SOME SECTIONS OF THE NAPE HAS 1/2 TO A 1 INCH OF HAIR... I DON'T KNOW IF IT BROKE AT THE DEMARCATION LINE OR WHAT. SO MY STYLIST SAID THAT SHE WOULD CUT ALL MY HAIR TO SL. I ASKED HER WHY CAN'T SHE JUST CUT THE NAPE AND TRY TO REGROW IT, BUT SHE SAID THAT IF I WORE MY HAIR DOWN THAT IT WOULD LOOK THIN AS THERE IS NO HAIR AT THE NAPE. THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.... DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTION ON HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS..OR ANY NAPE REGIMES...I FEEL LIKE ALL MY MONTHS OF HAIR GROWING JUST WENT DOWN THE DRAIN....ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....

I'm having the same problem. I decided to do a nape challenge for myself, but if you'd like to join me let me know. I'm starting on 5/1. Send me a PM.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Welcome! :wave:

You don't have to cut all of your hair to the same length as the nape. The nape area is covered by all of your other long hair so no one will even see if you just cut that area.

It's time to start babying that area and giving it a little tlc. Extra moisture and low manipulation of that area is key into grow out that area.

You are not alone. A lot of ladies here have that same problem and many have sucessfully grown their nape area to great length with a little extra special care.

We actually have a grow your nape hair challenge going on right now and there is whole thread full of information to help get you started.

Here's the link to the thread!! Happy Hair Growing to you!!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=196435

malibu4590

I don't think you should let your stylist cut your nape at all.

One member here is past BSL and keeps her nape cut short on purpose. And another member created a grow out your nape tutorial.

Hopefully they'll both come in here and give you some direction.

But, like I said before, don't loose all your progress because of nape issues. You'll just have to baby it and find out the reason why it's breaking in different spots. I.E. scarves or collars rubbing against it, cornrows that pull the hair back there, it being a different texture than the rest of your hair and relaxing it with the same time limit as the rest of your hair, etc.

Good luck and hopefully some others will come in and offer some advice.

Kiki82

THANK YOU SO MUCH LADIES FOR YOUR RESPONSES...I WAS GETTING SO NERVOUS BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I WAS LOSING ALL THE HARDWORK THAT I DID FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS....YA KNOW...

THANKS AGAIN,
KIKI82

vestaluv1

Welcome Kiki82. A member by the name of Mook's Hair has some really good information on how to protect the hair of the nape via cornrows.
Here is a link to her thread (which also cotains her Fotki...also very good).
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=197345&highlight=protect+nape
I am using this cornrow method in conjunction with:
  • A lot of extra moisture...especially on the ends as with the rest of my hair
  • Fertilising serums/Wild Growth Oil
  • Very very Low maipulation of this area...I just plait it
  • No more pony tails for a while...which is part of the reason I think my nape broke off so bad.
So far, so good.
Hope this helps a bit.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Welcome Kiki82. A member by the name of Mook's Hair has some really good information on how to protect the hair of the nape via cornrows.
Here is a link to her thread (which also cotains her Fotki...also very good).
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=197345&highlight=protect+nape
I am using this cornrow method.

I agree with this. I am also using Mooks method to grow out my nape area. I do have extension in, however I don't have extensions in my nape area. I have one cornrow going across that area, and the rest of my hair cover it up, so no one even see it or no it's there and I moisturize that area everyday as well.