help my mom please.

Jusxdarling

i'm trying to give my mom a healthy hair make over but i need help.
i've been using some of the advice on these boards for my own hair and it has really grown a lot so now i want to help my mom.
a little about her hair;
she does a lot of damaging things to her hair and uses a lot of heat. her hair is very short, like almost a little pixie cut type thing. she uses that orange marcel wax stuff whenever she curls her hair and also uses hair glue to glue a few pieces in her hair for bangs. i think she wants to try going natural for a little while because she wants to grow her hair out long enough to get sister locks.
so my questions are what are some things she can do to her hair after washing it? how can do you ladies with really short hair dry/style your hair? what's an alternative to that icky orange marcel wax stuff? and if you have any other advice/tips for me i'd be much obliged. :]

chicacanella

i've been using some of the advice on these boards for my own hair and it has really grown a lot so now i want to help my mom.
a little about her hair;
she does a lot of damaging things to her hair and uses a lot of heat. her hair is very short, like almost a little pixie cut type thing. she uses that orange marcel wax stuff whenever she curls her hair and also uses hair glue to glue a few pieces in her hair for bangs. i think she wants to try going natural for a little while because she wants to grow her hair out long enough to get sister locks.
so my questions are what are some things she can do to her hair after washing it? how can do you ladies with really short hair dry/style your hair? what's an alternative to that icky orange marcel wax stuff? and if you have any other advice/tips for me i'd be much obliged. :]

Well there you have it right there! Basically, almost every hair sin she could committ she is doing. One, I know they use orange marcel wax in the old school black beauty salons but this using grease to press your hair is equivalent to putting strands of your hair in the frying pan with crisco oil on high heat. Navsgeda had a thread on how heat protectants protect the hair and broke it down so it was plain and simple to understand.

Second, glue and hair is never a good item. Tell her to nix that quickly.

Third is she wanting to get sistalocks cause she thinks that is the only way she can have long hair or because she really wants them for other reasons? I find that many times alot of women on here have said they wanted sistalocs and/or dreads because they didn't know long hair was possible any other way.

She needs to first test her strands and see if they have the right protein/moisture balance. Break to fast and she has too much protein, stretch to much, then too much moisture. But I would guess that her hair is breaking.

She needs to try and find a good moisturizing shampoo and try to mix with a little bit of conditioner so it won't be too stripping. Then do a good deep condition and please, no more marcel wax for pressing. Get a good heat protectant and spray on while hair is semi dry. Do rollersets instead of pressing too.

KAT25

What type of shampoo and conditioner does she use?

I would suggest that she gets a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and incorporate a weekly shampoo and DC and retire the wax and use a heat protectant (sp?) and maybe she could use Lusters Renutrients Wax Stick for the stiff feeling that she wants but it is a healthy alternative to the orange wax. Also she probably wants to put away the glue and maybe she should try to do a wig or something and that way she can let her hair rest. Adding a growth aid would probably help to speed up growth and help with any trouble areas.

drjo91

a little about her hair;

I think your mother needs to stop using so much heat!!!. If she is going to use heat at least use a heat protectant and deep condition for 45 mins to an hr. Also, she needs to stop putting glue because it can take her hair out. I remembered once i got a quick weave and when i took it out, i was almost bald and had to get a hair cut. She can braid her hair after washing or do some twist(less tension on the scalp). She needs to moisturize to retain more length and perhasp she can take some biotin and msn to thicken up her hair.