HELP WITH MY COUSINS THICK HEAD OF HAIR!!!!

BeautyGoesDutch

Hey Ladies,

So next week my mom is doing my cousin's hair she has very thick 4a/b hair. It is very long. Her mom uses relaxers on her hair but her hair is so so thick that the relaxer doesn't take so it looks like she is natural anyway. So since my whole house is natural my mom is trying to help my aunt get my cousin hair into shape and back healthy. She is 12 now but when she was younger her hair was wsl and so pretty. So I need you help to making her hair silky and stright I have seen it done but we need ALOT OF HELP AND PRAYER.

I can tell you the tools we have and the products we have.

Tools

Chi Flat Iron (Original)

Stella Marcel Flat Iron and Stove system

Kentucky Maid Pressing comb (We have two, one that is smooth and another that is spikey like)

Gold N Hot Blowdryer

Products

Aphogee Deep Moisture

Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo

Bone Marrow

*We don't have this product but I was thinking about using it on her hair the Profectiv hair care line I heard it makes you hair really healthy, I use to use it when I was like 5-9 year of age.

So ladies with thick hair like my cousins and ones that work with hair like this can you give me some tips and tricks on hair to get this hair nice silky and smooth. If you want to I will take product suggestions, technique,etc.

She really need alot of help on her hair. Thank you so much ladies for your help.
P.S Also her mom asked how do you get a burnt smell out of your hair from pressing it? My aunt hair has that burnt smell to it. :yep:

TeeMBL

Lurker
Hi there :hiya:

If her hair is thick like mine, a relaxer has never been able to get it silky straight and smooth by itself. It will straighten the newgrowth, but once it dries it's still pretty puffy, definitely not silky. Basically, I've always had to use a flatiron to get that silky, straight, blow in the wind look. I have so many comments about your post, so here goes:

1. Marcel irons and pressing combs are bad, plain and simple. DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!! :nono: Sorry for the emphasis but its necessary....It's smelling burnt because those tools get too hot and can cause too much heat damage. So to answer your Aunt's question, do not press it.

2. Her hair probably smells burnt from the products put in the hair prior to the straightening. To flatiron you should only do your shampoo routine, DC with moisture, and apply a heat protectant. Too many products will make the hair smell, so leave-ins & oils should be applied after the hair has been straightened.

3. Flat iron on the lowest temp possible for her hair type.

4. If you're going to flatiron, do not blow dry...It's one or the other, once again minimizing heat use is very important. So that only leaves your CHI, sorry. I've never used one I have a FHI and love it though.

5. I've never used any of your products, but it is key for her to have a balance of protein and moisture. You'll have to find products that work for her hair, perhaps mixing and matching product lines, don't get stuck thinking one line will be a cure-all. It will take some trial and error.

6. Back to the thickness. How often is her mom relaxing, because too often will quickly take care of that thickness (not in a good way). I stretch at least 12 weeks, bare minimum. I almost relaxed last week because of a breakage scare but fixed it rather quickly.. so onward and upward....

7. She's only 12, does she really need bone straight hair every day? Does someone know how to braid and do cute girly styles?

8. A lot of hair health and growth also has to do with technique. My mom was horrible with my hair once she started relaxing, and I paid for it dearly, there really is a technique to it. I hope she's protecting the relaxed hair, and not overlapping.

Long post sorry so I'll try to shorten this next part, my products and techniques:

Products:
Silk elements Lye relaxer :)drunk: OMG this stuff is wonderful)
AOHSR Shampoo (1x per week)
AOHSR Conditioner (Cowash only)
Silk Elements Megasilk (Moisture DC 1x per week)
Aphogee 2min (1x per week)
Motions Leavein Conditioner for Sealing
Jojoba or Castor oil for sealing
Coconut milk, honey, AOHSR conditioner to fix breakage
Heat protectant - I can't remember the name :lachen: got it from Sally's though and it was in a reddish bottle.

I've experimented with other products but these are my staples.

Steps: Shampoo, Aphogee 2m, DC (This one day a week is the only day I will flatiron if I choose)

Cowash 1x per week, use sylver's scarf method to flatten NG

Tools:
FHI: Only used it twice but I love it.
Blow Dryer: Only used with my soft bonnet attachment

Bun everyday basically. No brushes what so ever. Combs only used 1x per week to detangle, I use my fingers the other days. Use a satin scarf every night, I don't wrap though it caused too many problems. Keep the hair moist, tangle-free, strong, and watch it grow.

BeautyGoesDutch

Hi there :hiya:

If her hair is thick like mine, a relaxer has never been able to get it silky straight and smooth by itself. It will straighten the newgrowth, but once it dries it's still pretty puffy, definitely not silky. Basically, I've always had to use a flatiron to get that silky, straight, blow in the wind look. I have so many comments about your post, so here goes:

1. Marcel irons and pressing combs are bad, plain and simple. DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!!!! :nono: Sorry for the emphasis but its necessary....It's smelling burnt because those tools get too hot and can cause too much heat damage. So to answer your Aunt's question, do not press it.

2. Her hair probably smells burnt from the products put in the hair prior to the straightening. To flatiron you should only do your shampoo routine, DC with moisture, and apply a heat protectant. Too many products will make the hair smell, so leave-ins & oils should be applied after the hair has been straightened.

3. Flat iron on the lowest temp possible for her hair type.

4. If you're going to flatiron, do not blow dry...It's one or the other, once again minimizing heat use is very important. So that only leaves your CHI, sorry. I've never used one I have a FHI and love it though.

5. I've never used any of your products, but it is key for her to have a balance of protein and moisture. You'll have to find products that work for her hair, perhaps mixing and matching product lines, don't get stuck thinking one line will be a cure-all. It will take some trial and error.

6. Back to the thickness. How often is her mom relaxing, because too often will quickly take care of that thickness (not in a good way). I stretch at least 12 weeks, bare minimum. I almost relaxed last week because of a breakage scare but fixed it rather quickly.. so onward and upward....

7. She's only 12, does she really need bone straight hair every day? Does someone know how to braid and do cute girly styles?

8. A lot of hair health and growth also has to do with technique. My mom was horrible with my hair once she started relaxing, and I paid for it dearly, there really is a technique to it. I hope she's protecting the relaxed hair, and not overlapping.

Long post sorry so I'll try to shorten this next part, my products and techniques:

Products:
Silk elements Lye relaxer :)drunk: OMG this stuff is wonderful)
AOHSR Shampoo (1x per week)
AOHSR Conditioner (Cowash only)
Silk Elements Megasilk (Moisture DC 1x per week)
Aphogee 2min (1x per week)
Motions Leavein Conditioner for Sealing
Jojoba or Castor oil for sealing
Coconut milk, honey, AOHSR conditioner to fix breakage
Heat protectant - I can't remember the name :lachen: got it from Sally's though and it was in a reddish bottle.

I've experimented with other products but these are my staples.

Steps: Shampoo, Aphogee 2m, DC (This one day a week is the only day I will flatiron if I choose)

Cowash 1x per week, use sylver's scarf method to flatten NG

Tools:
FHI: Only used it twice but I love it.
Blow Dryer: Only used with my soft bonnet attachment

Bun everyday basically. No brushes what so ever. Combs only used 1x per week to detangle, I use my fingers the other days. Use a satin scarf every night, I don't wrap though it caused too many problems. Keep the hair moist, tangle-free, strong, and watch it grow.

Thank you for responding I thought I had bad breath for a min :grin: since nobody was coming in. She has been in braids for 3 years. I will admit that the first two years her mom did not know how to take care of it, she was GREASING :blush: her hair down and my cousin hair was just frying in this Texas Heat :lol:

So my mom started taking care of it oiling her scalp,ans giving her shampoos to get to get my cousin hair back into shape. It is so healthy now but still not as healthy as I would like to see it because I know what it use to look like. Yea her hair is the type that when her mom puts the relaxer in it lays down then when it washes out it gets all puffy and crazy. She is in braids now she has taken them down for my mom to do a treatment on her hair aphogee protein and a DC. We are not going to press or flat iron all of the time the only reason is because she has a middle school fall dance coming up and she just wanted it straight for at least once. http://mercz.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/back.jpg This is how my cousin hair looks when it has been relaxed,blow dried,and flat ironed. It just looks like it need to be relaxed again like nothing touched it at all. *That is not a pic of my cousin but that is her exact hair*

So me being the big cousin and studying how to get her hair back super healthy again I put her on a vitamin reggie and I'm so proud of her she has been sticking to it. Also have you ever tried a product called E'tae I was thinking of using this on her hair? Thank you again http://www.youtube.com/user/etaecarmelux#p/u/3/rK5hb5EAlpQ