Help...how to make a bun w/o a scrunchie

LoveLiLi

Hey ladies. I have no clue how to make a bun using just regular hair pins or good hair day pins.

Can y'all give me some pointers?

I'm not sure if the problem is not knowing how to make a bun using pins only or if the problem is not having hair that's long enough.

Do I have to be bsl or longer to pull this off?

newflowers

here are my simple (and plain) bun-city directions:

1. comb/brush hair into a ponytail (but don't use the holder) and hold in
your dominant hand. if you make bangs, be sure that bang hair is
not included in the pony

2. make sure everything is smooth but not tight

3. twist the hair - the whole pony in you hand - and continue to twist
your pony will begin to make a snake. if you use this method, make
sure you change directions of the twist

4. as the hair snakes, hold the base of the pony against your head and
twist it around itself to make a donut

5 keep twisting until your hair has reached bun-city

6. secure with hair pins, flexi-8, etc

7. stick a blue feather in the back so all of your lhcf sisters will recognize you - :grin: okay - feather is optional.

Hair length is not much of a problem with this bun method - if your hair can form a tiny pony, you can make a tiny bun - it's really cool to watch your bun grow.

krikit96

I suck at hair buns but I get compliments on my buns daily.

1. I put my hair in a seemless hair band at the base of my head.
2. I take my ponytail and fan it out all around in every direction like a
firework
3. Take the hair and start gathering it like a bun, wrapping it around like a
bun and pushing the hair under the next portion of hair beside it until
you have wrapped your hair completely around in a circle... I hope this
makes sense. Your hair should be tucked under and the top layer
should look like the buns you buy in the store (PM me if you want pics)
4. Take the Good day hair pin and secure the bottom portion of your
hair...sometimes I use two just for making sure it won't come undone.

My hair really looks good this way - I suprised myself when I did it! I DO have a picture by picture tutorial on this, I'm just at work for now so let me know if you want me to send it to you when I get home... it's the easiest thing and it takes me all of 90 seconds from start to finish... HTH!

Jessofpal

For instances where I need my hair up and out of my way I bantu knot my hair into a bun. My hair is only SL and layered so I tend to do bantu pony buns, but on longer hair a single bun may also work

pri

I just put my hair in a position as if I'm going to ponytail it but instead I wrap the hair around in a donut style and stick a pin in it and go.

LoveLiLi

Thanks, ladies! I'll practice these methods until I've mastered the bun w/ pins only because using a scrunchie is causing some breakage along one area.

I tried the Southern Tease bun and got frustrated, but I'll try it again because if she can make that bun in less than 42 seconds, I know I can get the hang of it. I'm ashamed of the mess I made of it the first time :blush:.

LoveLiLi

what type of scunchies are you using?

I've switched them up a few times; I was using the regular scrunchies with the satiny finish. For the past few months I've been using Conair pony wraps.

It says comfortable hold on the package and there aren't any metal parts, but I was placing the bun in the same spot and I know I have a tendency to tie them too tight.

Chameleonchick

Thanks, ladies! I'll practice these methods until I've mastered the bun w/ pins only because using a scrunchie is causing some breakage along one area.

I tried the Southern Tease bun and got frustrated, but I'll try it again because if she can make that bun in less than 42 seconds, I know I can get the hang of it. I'm ashamed of the mess I made of it the first time :blush:.

I can not make that bun to save my life.