How do you make your bun?

inthepink

A lot of us here wear buns everyday or almost everyday as a protective hairstyle. I've been noticing that practically everyone creates their bun differently and sometimes with an entirely different bun look.

Right now, I make my bun two different ways. The first way, I use an ouchless band and then coil my hair lightly around it to secure with pins. The second way, I use a scrunchy and fan my hair around it to secure with pins. (I stole that from Supergirl.) I used to use a bun donut to do the same thing but I find it looks more natural just using a scrunchy.

How do you make your bun?

zanna

I just grab all my hair and twist it then turn the twisted lock around to make a bun, and secure it with pins.
Zanna.

Mija

Exotical OG
The first way, I use the scunci ouchless nylon band and coil it around with one or two bobby pins. I try to alternate between the high bun, side bun, and low bun to prevent breakage.

Spagirl

Most of the time I twist and then coil my hair around the base to form a basic bun (cinnamon bun) and secure w/ a Good Hair Day Pin. Other times I just coil the hair around the base and secure with a pin.

I also like variations from the basic bun: the figure 8 bun, bun on bun, side by side buns (double buns), etc.

Edited to add: Ooops! I also like to braid my ponytail and coil it around the base to make a braid bun. I find this help my hair to maintain moisture the best.

Crystena77

I use a fake bun.

I also take a rolled up sock and wrap my hair around it, then secure it with a scrunchie - that makes about the best bun....

jainygirl

i just twist my hair coil it around and secure it with a scrunchie. the ends stay tucked without using hair pins. There is a picture of my finished bun in my photo album
--jainygirl

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
zanna said:
I just grab all my hair and twist it then turn the twisted lock around to make a bun, and secure it with pins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here.

renee_n_3000

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
zanna said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I make a bun, too, but I don't use anything to secure it. I tuck the end of the twist into the underside of the bun.

Angelicus

twist around in a very small, pathetic circle, paying attention to the ends and tucking them in, then i wrap a satin scrunci over it. i dont loop it over though-- just throw it on there.

Isis

I like to wear my buns either low in the back or low on the side. I wrap a silk scrunchie around my hair then make one big twist and tuck it under, pinning it with Good Hair Day pins. It looks almost like a braided bun.

Allandra

Hairlove,

What about the bun you did with the sock(s)? That bun really looked nice. Is it not working now?

inthepink

Allandra,

Nope, that bun doesn't work well for me. It sticks out too far from my head and just looks fake. I don't like it anymore.

asummertyme

scunci bun maker, and a cinnamon bun twist all the way around with no band, and secure with a pin or 2....

chicamorena

I put my hair in a scunci, part my ponytail into two pieces, then take one piece and wrap it around the scunci one way and take the other piece and wrap it the opposite way. sometimes I pin it and sometimes I don't

BrEE

first i put my hair in a ponytail using a silk scrunchie .then twist the hair, not too tightly .then twist the hair around itself(not too tight). then i use a black headband and wrap it around the bun while im holding the bun with one hand and the headband with the other.then i take those mini clips and clip the top of the bun to the head band. i clip it just in case it's not secure enough and i think it looks cuter that way.and the reason i dont twist the hair too tightly is so my bun looks full and not tiny. i have pics in my photo album if anyone wants to see.

miss_brown

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
luv your expanded album bree
very nice hair pics

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO. Your hair looks great bree

BrEE

[ QUOTE ]
miss_brown said:
[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
luv your expanded album bree
very nice hair pics

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO. Your hair looks great bree

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks you guys, i really appreciate it.

inthepink

Darn, Bree. That is a CUTE bun but I don't get your directions at all. If you're twisting your hair around, then why does it look like two halves?
I am so bun-challenged.

BrEE

yea i know, but it's only one twist.try it and see. i dont know how to better explain it.sowwy. maybe it's due to the fact i dont twist it that much, maybe once or twice then i coil it around the scrunchie, and then add the headband.

Isis

Bree - Your hair looks gorgeous loose and in a bun! Can you direct me to your regime and hair type? Thanks.

BrEE

hi isis

i'm 4a maybe 4b or 3c. i dont know what the front of my hair would be considered,they're teeny tiny waves.i wash my hair once a week using kenra moisturizing conditioner and shampoo.and clarify 1-2x a month using kenra clarifying shampoo. i only airdry. i havent used any heat in months.i relax 2-3 times a year. i'm trying to stretch it out to every 6 months, we'll see how that goes.i moisturize every day using nexxus headress then loreal serum to help comb through and vaseline on the tips.i havent found a good protein conditioner yet and i'm still looking to try the elucence products.another conditioner i use and really like is nexxus y serum conditioner.for my daily style i "do the adrienne"=+) and wear my hair in a bun.i think thats pretty much it.btw thanks for the compliments

BlkHoneyLuv2U

[ QUOTE ]
Crystena77 said:
I use a fake bun.

I also take a rolled up sock and wrap my hair around it, then secure it with a scrunchie - that makes about the best bun....

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the same thing.