Help! Damaged Hair.

xxcurlsxx

Hi lovely ladies!

I have lurked here for a little while but I find that I have read so many threads pertaining to this particular issue that I am feeling a tiny bit overwhelmed, so I created this thread.

It is the same old tired tale you ladies hear ALL the time.
I overestimated the amount of heat my curls could take and despite using heat protectant I have inevitably managed to fudge up my curls really, really badly and I have straight bits EVERYWHERE.

So can you ladies please advise me of a hardcore protein and a light protein to assist me in reviving the damage please? Something other than Aphogee please. I feel like I need a staple regimen to commit to the health of my hair.

My hair is quite fine and it falls into the 3c/4a category. I currently use Joico moisture recovery balm as my moisturising DC if that makes any difference.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
For a lighter protein treatment I really like Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque. Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor and Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow and Strengthen Treatment Masque are awesome as well. All can be purchased at Target except the Nutrafix, you can find that at Ulta :3

xxcurlsxx

For a lighter protein treatment I really like Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque. Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor and Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow and Strengthen Treatment Masque are awesome as well. All can be purchased at Target except the Nutrafix, you can find that at Ulta :3

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I am in the UK but I *think* all of your suggestions are accessible. Ironically enough I was just looking at the Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor! Out of the SheaMoisture and Giovanni products which would you say you prefer?

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I am in the UK but I *think* all of your suggestions are accessible. Ironically enough I was just looking at the Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor! Out of the SheaMoisture and Giovanni products which would you say you prefer?

Do you mean between the Nutrafix and Anti-Breakage Masque? Hmmm....

The Shea Moisture Masque makes my hair feel like butter and very moisturized as well as strong. The Nutrafix is really strong on my hair and makes my hair very soft...but it's definitely a no frills protein treatment if you know what I mean! lol It just makes my hair super strong as opposed to soft, moisturized, and buttah-like lmao. But the Shea Moisture doesn't last as long on my hair, so I have to do once a week or so...

I guess if I had to pick, I'd go with Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque. Sorry for the long response :blush: lol

Lymegreen

co-signing Shea Moisture Anti Breakage and Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow and Strengthen Treatment Masque.

I alternate between Joico k-pak reconstructor one week and then the next week either Shea Moisture or Nubian Heritage (which ever one but I like Nubian Heritage a little better).

What made a big difference for me was that I started to only leave it in for 1-3 minutes. As a mild protein I don't need longer 1-3 minutes but I do need it every other week.

I use aphogee 2-step every 6 weeks.

This may sound like a lot of protein but I still use moisturizing deep conditioners and rinse conditioners and moisturizing leavin conditioners and moisturize and seal nightly etc.... so it all balances out well for me.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
co-signing Shea Moisture Anti Breakage and Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp & Tamanu Grow and Strengthen Treatment Masque.

I alternate between Joico k-pak reconstructor one week and then the next week either Shea Moisture or Nubian Heritage (which ever one but I like Nubian Heritage a little better).

What made a big difference for me was that I started to only leave it in for 1-3 minutes. As a mild protein I don't need longer 1-3 minutes but I do need it every other week.

I use aphogee 2-step every 6 weeks.

This may sound like a lot of protein but I still use moisturizing deep conditioners and rinse conditioners and moisturizing leavin conditioners and moisturize and seal nightly etc.... so it all balances out well for me.

Yeah, since my rinse out condish is super moisturizing, I cowash daily, and I use activator gel, my hair needs protein all the time now. The Nubian Heritage lasts a long time in my hair, the Shea Moisture requires weekly treatments.

xxcurlsxx

Do you mean between the Nutrafix and Anti-Breakage Masque? Hmmm....

The Shea Moisture Masque makes my hair feel like butter and very moisturized as well as strong. The Nutrafix is really strong on my hair and makes my hair very soft...but it's definitely a no frills protein treatment if you know what I mean! lol It just makes my hair super strong as opposed to soft, moisturized, and buttah-like lmao. But the Shea Moisture doesn't last as long on my hair, so I have to do once a week or so...

I guess if I had to pick, I'd go with Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque. Sorry for the long response :blush: lol

Yes that is exactly what I meant lol sorry for not being specific. Your post wasn't long at all (well by my standards anyway) and it was extremely informative! Thank you!

xxcurlsxx

Thank you for all the swift and informative responses ladies. You have really helped me begin to take a step in the right direction.

KDReese23

I've tried a few different protein treatments and I'm not sure if I'm just not good at applying them or if my hair truly doesn't like them but it always seems to come out hard. :nono:

Now, I do my own little protein treatment every two weeks and it's worked out great. I take one egg (my hair is thick but only about neck length), a tsp of honey, a tsp of olive oil, and mix that together with a moisturizing conditioner. Then I let them sit on my head under a processing cap for about 20 minutes and rinse that out in cool water...the egg will definitely cook if you don't. So gross, lol.

After that I style as normal and my hair turns out. It's especially helpful before and after a relaxer or color treatment.

Lovie

I'm similar hair type as yours, natural, and heat style straight, wet bun, or wash and go.
I use protein to minimize from heat damage, and intense protein I want to wear my hair curly and give a break from heat. My hair is NOT protein sensitive, but it is fine and very dense.

Everynow and then I try something different, but I've been rotating the same protein treatments for years now that always perform. For me, curls and hair structure repair bounce back with the following protein treatments for my hair:

NEXXUS EMERGENCEE
(follow up w/ extra hydrating dc. I use MATRIX BIOLAGE ULTRA HYDRATING CONDITONING BALM / SALLY GVP Knockoff)

or

PHYTOSPECIFIC VITAL FORCE
Think it has been reformualted and is now called restructuring balm.

or

ORS Replenishing Pak

I use all of them with or without heat, depending on how much time I have.
Nexxus Emergencee is my favorite.

Giovanni Nutrafix Reconstructor felt good when using, but was too light of a protein to really make a difference for my curl pattern and potential repair. I did like the Shea Moisture Masque too, but again not as much as my old faithfuls.

Good luck,
Lovie