Besides breakage, how can you tell if your hair is heat damaged?

HoneyDew

I don't have breakage. My hair is very elastic. It is not chemically overprocessed because my hair is VERY texlaxed.

But, it is VERY soft - it seems TOO soft to me. I feel like I overmoisturize it all the time because I have to use protein weekly so it will not be so soft, but even that is minimal (I never do hardcore protein though)

But, could it be damaged from heat use that is causing it to be so soft?

What are other signs besides breakage?

Maybe I do need to toss some hardcore protein in there just to see. What do you guys think?

IDK- I say if it's not broke (breakin') dont fix it.

Are you curling w/curling iron or doing a roller set? Reason I ask... my hair w/not hold a curl w/curling iron, but if I wet set the curls stay. Couple of my family members' hair wont hold curling iron & the wet set has to be set w/a hard gel.

i noticed my hair was heat damaged because it was NOT soft anymore. it was rough, crunchy and waaaaaay to dry.

im no expert, but i wouldn't associate softness with heat damage, but if you are worried, cut back on the frequency of your heat use and see if it makes a difference :)

HoneyDew said:
I don't have breakage. My hair is very elastic. It is not chemically overprocessed because my hair is VERY texlaxed.

But, it is VERY soft - it seems TOO soft to me. I feel like I overmoisturize it all the time because I have to use protein weekly so it will not be so soft, but even that is minimal (I never do hardcore protein though)

Maybe I do need to toss some hardcore protein in there just to see. What do you guys think?

sounds a lot like my hair although I do have breakage. My hair also is very elastic like and always VERY soft. The softness makes it harder to determine whether I need moisture or not. I think I may over moisture my hair will probably causes the breakage, I don't like the way my hair feels after I do protein treatments.

To me it doesn't seem you have heat damage

When I have ongoing mushiness I usually breakdown and do a hard protein treatment. That usually solves the problem.

I'm not relaxed, but I can tell heat damage if I have strands that are straight. I flat-ironed quite a bit when I was transitioning, so that could be factor of heat damage. I'm monitoring this patch of straight hair in my head, to see if it's heat damage or not. As my hair grows, there's no change in pattern to this patch of hair at the roots. I'm starting to think that my hair just grows straight in that part :confused: I honestly would much rather it be heat damage, and have it grow out, than to have to worry about making a straight patch (about the size of a half dollar) blend with the rest of my hair.

Okay after I posted this, I did some thinking. About 2 weeks ago, I stopped usign conditioners that contain mineral oil, silicone or petroleum. But, everything else remained the same. That is when I noticed this major softness.

I did not make a big deal about it because it felt fine in the shower when I washed it. But when it is dry, it is really too soft for me.

It is so soft that I don't want to touch it - which is maybe why I don't see breakage. I bet if I combed it, I would get breakage. I do flat iron, but it has not even been getting straight when I flat iron it. It is still pretty wavy and I am too scared to raise the temperature. WAIT - you know even when my hair is dry it has still been feeling "damp" but I know that the water has dried.

Maybe it is over-moisturizing that is going on since I have been conditioning it with no-cone conditioners and then following it up with no cone leave-ins. :confused:

Oh Lotus, I don't use curling irons (don't seem to work for me :confused:). I flat iron my hair and then do dry roller sets because my hair is NEVER straight after wetsets even when I go to the salon for it - the stylist fusses about my hair "not being relaxed" (it is, though!) , but I WILL NOT let her "correct it" and relax me bone straight like she wants to.

I am going to do a hardcore tonight and see if that happens. I really don't like feeling like I cannot touch my hair - it just feels too delicate right now.

sareca said:
When I have ongoing mushiness I usually breakdown and do a hard protein treatment. That usually solves the problem.

I am going to have to just breakdown and do it. I have some Aphogee in my PJ closet. I need to blow the dust off of it and do it.

I have not been doing Henna or cassia regularly anymore either - that could have something to do with it, too.

HoneyDew said:
Okay after I posted this, I did some thinking. About 2 weeks ago, I stopped usign conditioners that contain mineral oil, silicone or petroleum. But, everything else remained the same. That is when I noticed this major softness.

I did not make a big deal about it because it felt fine in the shower when I washed it. But when it is dry, it is really too soft for me.

It is so soft that I don't want to touch it - which is maybe why I don't see breakage. I bet if I combed it, I would get breakage. I do flat iron, but it has not even been getting straight when I flat iron it. It is still pretty wavy and I am too scared to raise the temperature. WAIT - you know even when my hair is dry it has still been feeling "damp" but I know that the water has dried.

Maybe it is over-moisturizing that is going on since I have been conditioning it with no-cone conditioners and then following it up with no cone leave-ins. :confused:

Oh Lotus, I don't use curling irons (don't seem to work for me :confused:). I flat iron my hair and then do dry roller sets because my hair is NEVER straight after wetsets even when I go to the salon for it - the stylist fusses about my hair "not being relaxed" (it is, though!) , but I WILL NOT let her "correct it" and relax me bone straight like she wants to.

I am going to do a hardcore tonight and see if that happens. I really don't like feeling like I cannot touch my hair - it just feels too delicate right now.

That's how your hair is supposed to feel when there's no mineral oil/petroleum to weigh it down. Personally, I loved the light, soft, airy feeling that my hair would get after drying it in rollers (when relaxed). The best combo for that feeling would be to wash/condition with Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture Shampoo & Daily Treatment, use Rusk Sensorie's Smoother as a leave-in, then rollerset. When combing out the curls, my strands felt like clouds. Those products contained cones, but no heavy mineral oil/petroleum.

Going the no mineral oil/petroleum route seems to be a good thing. I wouldn't think that your hair would be harmed because of it. But then again, everyone's hair is different.

TSUprincess04 said:
That's how your hair is supposed to feel when there's no mineral oil/petroleum to weigh it down. Personally, I loved the light, soft, airy feeling that my hair would get after drying it in rollers (when relaxed). The best combo for that feeling would be to wash/condition with Paul Mitchell's Instant Moisture Shampoo & Daily Treatment, use Rusk Sensorie's Smoother as a leave-in, then rollerset. When combing out the curls, my strands felt like clouds. Those products contained cones, but no heavy mineral oil/petroleum.

Going the no mineral oil/petroleum route seems to be a good thing. I wouldn't think that your hair would be harmed because of it. But then again, everyone's hair is different.

Maybe I have been blinded by the cones! :lol:

I still do use a little serum before flat-ironing - but before I used to have cones in EVERYTHING - from shampoo to conditioners/leave-ins to moisturizers. And I stopped using Mane N Tail because one formula has wax AND mineral oil in it - my hair started trippin after a while from it.

There were times when my hair, especially my ends were just fried - and looked it. I never even thought of heat as the culprit till I started transitioning. During my perm, blow dry and curl days my ends were extremely dull and it didn't matter how much oil or GREESE I put on them, they stayed dull and fried looking.

Your hair looks great and most women I know would LOVE for their only hair complaint to be that its too soft. So, Miss Honeydew, I'm gonna have to say . . .

If it aint broke (or breaking - literally) don't fix it.
Enjoy your soft hair girly.:) :)

i know what you mean. i like when my hair has a little weight to it, and looks full and thick instead of extra soft and "delicate"... and the only way for me to get that is protein treatment. When it gets that way I use Nexxus Emergencee (every 2-3 wks), leaving it on just for 2 minutes like the directions say, then 'poo and condition. I am prob gonna also do the heavy Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair about a week after my relaxer.

whitneysimone said:
i noticed my hair was heat damaged because it was NOT soft anymore. it was rough, crunchy and waaaaaay to dry.
im no expert, but i wouldn't associate softness with heat damage, but if you are worried, cut back on the frequency of your heat use and see if it makes a difference :)

That's when I knew I had extreme heat damage and why my hair was not growing and constantly breaking.

I feel less scurred now. :lol:

I cannot wait to get off work today!! My hair is begging me for some protein.

I am getting a touchup in about 3 weeks and the way my hair feels right now - I would not feel good about putting a relaxer on it.

HoneyDew said:
I am going to have to just breakdown and do it. I have some Aphogee in my PJ closet. I need to blow the dust off of it and do it.

I have not been doing Henna or cassia regularly anymore either - that could have something to do with it, too.

I bet that's it. My regimen is designed around henna so when I stop doing treatments I have way too much moisture and my hair ends up overconditioned too.

HoneyDew said:

You need protein my friend :lol: A strong protein product.

With heat damage, the last thing your hair will feel is soft. Heat zaps the hair's moisture levels, so heat damaged hair is usually very rough, dry, lifeless, fly away and hard. Heat damaged hair is also usually porous because of the damage inflicted on the cuticle layers. It couldn't retain moisture even if it wanted to, and it doesn't hold your heat styles very well either. :nono:

Your hair just sounds like it just needs reinforcement. Lighter protein treatments can help you for awhile, but because the proteins in these treatments are usually large-- they tend to just coat the hair and sit on the outside of the cuticle. They help, but that protein is superficial and needs to be replaced more often. Every once in a while you need something that can really get into the inner cuticle layers and reinforce the hair on a deeper level. Heaver treatments usually have smaller proteins that can reinforce deeper cuticle layers and remain on the hair longer than superficial treatments coating the outer shaft.

Dust off that Aphogee girl. :lol: I think you'll find that your hair still remains soft, but that protein component will make it feel stronger with that same softness rather than weaker. :yep:

First of all - LOVE YOUR PICS!!

Okay you guys ever get antsy at work cause you want to get home and treat your hair!?!

I CANNOT wait to get home and break out the Aphogee!! My son just called me and told me that he is staying over at a friends tonight - EVEN BETTER!!

I will be at home alone with my Aphogee treatment and a hooded dryer!! :lol:

Sistaslick said:
You need protein my friend :lol: A strong protein product.

With heat damage, the last thing your hair will feel is soft. Heat zaps the hair's moisture levels, so heat damaged hair is usually very rough, dry, lifeless, fly away and hard. Heat damaged hair is also usually porous because of the damage inflicted on the cuticle layers. It couldn't retain moisture even if it wanted to, and it doesn't hold your heat styles very well either. :nono:

Your hair just sounds like it just needs reinforcement. Lighter protein treatments can help you for awhile, but because the proteins in these treatments are usually large-- they tend to just coat the hair and sit on the outside of the cuticle. They help, but that protein is superficial and needs to be replaced more often. Every once in a while you need something that can really get into the inner cuticle layers and reinforce the hair on a deeper level. Heaver treatments usually have smaller proteins that can reinforce deeper cuticle layers and remain on the hair longer than superficial treatments coating the outer shaft.

Dust off that Aphogee girl. :lol: I think you'll find that your hair still remains soft, but that protein component will make it feel stronger with that same softness rather than weaker. :yep:

sareca said:
I bet that's it. My regimen is designed around henna so when I stop doing treatments I have way too much moisture and my hair ends up overconditioned too.

I never had this problem when I alternated henna and light protein. This past semester of classes just had me HAIR LAZY. I just never felt like doing my henna treatments on the weekend when I had to study study study!

Aphogee it is! Please, let us know how it turns out.

:confused: I do Aphogee straight at least once a month and mix it w/weekly DC sometimes during the week. If yourn turns out ok... I think I may increase to 2xs a month (for a while)... I want curls too! :(

Ladies!! I am in the middle of doing my hair right now and JUST HAD TO fire up my laptop to find this thread and let you guys know that the Aphogee is just what my hair needed - DUH!!

I really thought that my protein pre-poos were enough. Oh and that Aphogee is nasty - I dripped that stuff all oer the place.

Anyway, here is what I have noticed so far:

1. My hair was not as poofy and big after I rinsed out the Aphogee. It was flatter and tamed. I could easily feel my tamed NG under there instead of it being one big ol' mess.

2. My hair was easy to detangle out of the shower, which made it easier to apply leave in.

3. My hair airdried WAY FASTER!! It is still a little damp at the roots, but for the past few weeks my hair too forever to dry and still felt moist after it dried (duh - was that a red flag or what ?!?!)

4. My hair is actually straightening. For the past 2 weeks, I have not been able to straighten my hair which gave me a poofy, billowy curls. I think I pulled it off, but I did have a lady at work say - did you do something different to your hair? :look:

5. I can actually finger comb my hair - before even that seemed to much - my hair was just WAY too fragile.

Thanks ladies!!

Oh - I still have some softness, but it is the good kind!! :D My hair is back to its old self!

Back