HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

I have watched a few videos and people use a variety of things . Also I notice "L" can stand for liquid but I guess it can be water or another leave in.

yeah, you can use plain water or another liquid leave-in. i just use water, then oil, then usually a regular conditioner (sometimes a moisture cream). im not really sure why it works for me, but it does. when i just lay oil on top of leave-in or moisturizer, my hair becomes dry quickly...with this method, moisture stays in my hair.

*Frisky* said:
I have watched a few videos and people use a variety of things . Also I notice "L" can stand for liquid but I guess it can be water or another leave in.

I read L stands for liquid-- so some people use water; some use leave-ins; some use tea spritzes (or other spritzes). I guess it doesn't matter what the L stands for as long as you find the right L for you and seal it in.

I've been using water in between washes but it isn't enough.

greenandchic said:
I love using Alba Un-Petroleum Jelly blended with other oils and melted cocoa butter. I started sealing my ends with my blended butters nightly and its working well so far. I will do a dusting in about a month...

greenandchic Do you premix it or are you blending it in your hand?

I wash once a week. There is of course a build up but nothing excessive or unusual for me most of the Dax sinks into my hair - just at a much slower rate than oils. Oils seem to disappear within a few hours for me.

I'd Just like to add that this method makes your fingers/comb glide through your hair, so for those who try it, will see a dramatic reduction in tangles thus less breakage and ssk's. I'm looking forward to seeing alot more retention.

I also look forward to the feedback and for those who are already doing it - yey for Heavy Sealing :yep:
:grin:
thank you sooo much!! dryness stopped me from keeping up my cornrows.
I was told my hair has gotten too long for my style....:drunk:
30.00 for 5 rows(?)
I couldn't get moisture into my hair so it got dry & very tangled. :cry:

when I go in this time I'm gonna have my hair all greased up....
moist w leave in moisturizing creme w coconut oil.:lick::yay:
I can go at least 4 weeks... i will dc every 2 w the braids in tact:grin:
thank you!!!:grin::thumbsup:

Last edited:
yall think it would be really weird to use shea moisture organic raw shea chamomile & argan oil head-to-toe baby ointment as a heavy sealer?

i mean, the ingredients look pretty safe/normal for hair. i always see this is the baby section of walgreens and i'm always rubbing my chin like "hmmmmm...." but i never take the plunge. and the name does say HEAD to toe hahaha...

here are the ingredients:

Raw Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter , Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter , Olus Oil , Centhera Biennis Oil (Evening Primrose) , Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil , Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Jojoba) , Carthamus Tinctorius Oil (Safflower) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Argania Spinosa Nut Oil (Argan) , Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice , Natural Wax Blend , (Carnauba , Non-GMO Soy) , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , Rosa Rubiginosa Seed Oil (Rosehip) , Olea Europaea Oil (Olive) , Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Calendula Extract , Lavender Oil , Rose Extract , Chamomilla (Anthemis Nobilis) Flower Extract , Boswellia Serrata Oil (Frankincense) , Myrrh Extract

that sounds tasty youwillrise! Nice ingredients list. Some might take issue with the waxes in the product? But I never had problems with waxes. The waxes in this one are soy and carnauba. Shouldn't be bad at all!

I definitely need some heavy sealing with the temperature that dropped from 73 degrees to 40 degrees... I have my sugar berries from Oyin and the Hair Shine Butter from UrbanBella (I HATE the smell ya’ll...)

youwillrise - I would try it for sure. Like DarkJoy said, you can always use it on your body if it doesn't work out. For me anything with cocoa butter is a winner. The was looks pretty far down the list...

For the past week I have been putting a little of my co-wash conditioner (mainly on my ends) in my hair and sealing with my Blue Magic Castor Oil grease.

My hair is very very happy.

youwillrise said:
yall think it would be really weird to use shea moisture organic raw shea chamomile & argan oil head-to-toe baby ointment as a heavy sealer?

i mean, the ingredients look pretty safe/normal for hair. i always see this is the baby section of walgreens and i'm always rubbing my chin like "hmmmmm...." but i never take the plunge. and the name does say HEAD to toe hahaha...

here are the ingredients:

Raw Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter , Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter , Olus Oil , Centhera Biennis Oil (Evening Primrose) , Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil , Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Jojoba) , Carthamus Tinctorius Oil (Safflower) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Argania Spinosa Nut Oil (Argan) , Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice , Natural Wax Blend , (Carnauba , Non-GMO Soy) , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado) , Rosa Rubiginosa Seed Oil (Rosehip) , Olea Europaea Oil (Olive) , Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Calendula Extract , Lavender Oil , Rose Extract , Chamomilla (Anthemis Nobilis) Flower Extract , Boswellia Serrata Oil (Frankincense) , Myrrh Extract

I used to seal my hair my hair with this! I also use burt's bees nonpetroleum baby butt balm to seal with too.

youwillrise, HanaKuroi, DarkJoy

I took the plunge and purchased the Shea Moisture Baby Head-To-Toe Ointment today from my local Walgreen's today (none of my local Targets carry SM products). I haven't used it on my hair yet, but I do like the way it feels. It was hard squeezing it out of the tube, but the formula is very buttery. :lick: I will use it on my ends tonight.

I took the plunge and purchased the Shea Moisture Baby Head-To-Toe Ointment today from my local Walgreen's today (none of my local Targets carry SM products). I haven't used it on my hair yet, but I do like the way it feels. It was hard squeezing it out of the tube, but the formula is very buttery. :lick: I will use it on my ends tonight.

oooh let us know. i havent gotten it yet. how's the scent? i always kind play around with it in walgreens and it does seem thick (like it would be hard to get out of the tube). hope you like it...or maybe i DONT hope you like it so i wont be tempted to spend money LOL.

for winter regimen:
Damp hair, CO, then Blensblend 3-1 conditioner as a my leave in, then seal with BB hair/body butter. Voila! Moisturized soft hair all week-BAM! :lol: I'm too hardcore about sealing and protecting my length and ends.

oooh let us know. i havent gotten it yet. how's the scent? i always kind play around with it in walgreens and it does seem thick (like it would be hard to get out of the tube). hope you like it...or maybe i DONT hope you like it so i wont be tempted to spend money LOL.

youwillrise
The scent is pretty light, at least light for a Shea Moisture product since that and Nubian Heritage is pretty heavily scented. Since is for a baby I think that was the idea.

If I don't like it on my hair, I think it would be good for my skin, especially when it starts to get colder.

If i use grease,will i have to use a sulfate shampoo? I am currently co washing only now. I have vaseline on hand now,but i dont want it to build up

If i use grease,will i have to use a sulfate shampoo? I am currently co washing only now. I have vaseline on hand now,but i dont want it to build up

I don't use petroleum, but I do use some things that are just as heavy and cleansing conditioners work pretty well to cut through the grease.

I just got into heavy sealing over the summer. Jojoba & coconut oil just weren't cutting it for me anymore and my ends were feeling horrible. I started using Nubian Heritage Evoo & Moringa hair butter. My hair felt so much more moisturized and soft. Now I'm going to be using some Tasti kiss hair butters, made with shea butter.

I have always avoided pure shea butter in my natural hair journey b/c I felt like it would be too heavy. But I'm starting to think my hair loves heavier moisturizers. Esp. as my hair grows longer and my ends get older.

Last edited:
youwillrise - I used the butter on my ends last night and its a keeper. A sealed my ends with it, but a little goes a long way when it comes to using in on the length of your hair. The shine is out of this world and doesn't give your hair a buttery dull, matte appearance. It makes a good lip gloss too!

I usually blend my own butters, but it gets old after a while. This will be my backup when I run out of what I normally use.

nice! im gonna try it. prob go to walgreens after work this evening and pick some up. i also ordered some other oils (castor, sunflower, apricot) online last night. ive been out of oil for so long. i ended up stealing the olive oil (which i dont usually use) from the kitchen and using that up (oops...gotta buy some more). definitely need something heavier, though...the cold is having an effect on my hair already...the light/medium oils just arent working for me right now.

I have been doing the LOC method for the past week and I def can tell a difference. I have zero breakage when I finger comb through my hair.

I have been doing the LOC method for the past week and I def can tell a difference. I have zero breakage when I finger comb through my hair.

what are you using (what oil or butter?)...i havent used the LOC method with heavier things like butters. i used it with castor oil mixes (castor oil and a lighter oil) which is heavier...im hoping it'd still work ok (creamy moisturizer able to penetrate through the butter lol)

what are you using (what oil or butter?)...i havent used the LOC method with heavier things like butters. i used it with castor oil mixes (castor oil and a lighter oil) which is heavier...im hoping it'd still work ok (creamy moisturizer able to penetrate through the butter lol)

I always manage to put my own twists to things so I might be doing a little extra hahaha

I spray with water, then I use a leave in. I have been using either As I Am leave-in or Koils by Nature Shealoe leave-in, then I put on this oil mixture of olive oil, castor oil, sweet almond, safflower oil and wheat germ oil then I put on this shea cocoa butter mixture that has grapeseed oil in it that I made...yea I am doing alot but it seems to be doing wonders for my hair.

I would never use castor oil to seal its too heavy my short hair would be stiff as a board but I do use softee mango butter

So I went ahead last night and put the vaseline on my ends on damp hair. Now, I live in the desert so my hair is always dry by the second day making my curls look scraggly and sorry. Today I woke up my curls look just as nice as it did right after I washed it. You kidding me? After all the crap I bought, all I needed was some old fashioned grease? SHM.

This is something I will continue to experiment with, and I will go to Walmart today and buy a better grease product with some nutrients or sumthin' haha

Back