HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

faithVA

Babyganics is BOGO free at walgreens.

I went back today to get my second one. They didn't have the buy 1 get 1 sign up when I purchased it so I just got one. I just happened to see the sign at another store. This should last me for a long, long, long time. :yep:

beanie44

Hi ladies, I wanted to just give yall an update on me using this Baby Ganics as a sealer for my ends since 09 SEP 2011, I wash my hair every other week in the winter, I have been resealing on the ends twice between shampoos and washing my hair with a non sulfate shampoo.

I trimmed my ends 6 weeks ago and got rid of the SSK's so far the ends are good and moisture is being maintained. I will continue to use this product as a sealer on my ends until the end of spring if I retain all my length up to that point I will be ecstatic.

faithVA

This is probably already addressed in this thread but I am looking for an easy way out instead of reading through 7 pages.

I have the babyganics unpetroleum jelly which works well but it is very thick. Is anyone using unpetroleum jelly or petroleum jelly (guess it doesn't matter) and diluting it with something to make it easier to apply?

If so what percentages of unpetroleum to other products do you use?

I usually put some water in my hands and then mix the unpetroleum jelly with it. It works ok but I would like to thin out most of it.

tia

Curlykale

faithVA my experience with waxes in general is that they only melt in oil. suppose you have a wax disaster build up in your hair: a shampoo or a conditioner, or a water rinse won't solve the problem until you use oil or hot oil. depending on the consistency of the pomade, I either add it cold or I melt everything in a double boiler before adding it. Too much thin oil, of course, could defy the purpose of heavy sealing unless maybe you use something like castor. hope it helps!

Last edited:

simplyhair

I just found out this method works by mistake when I used a castor oil mix. It lasted a few days which says a lot for my normally dry and thirsty hair.

Bublin, does the moisture eventually leave and you need to redo the method? If so, do you think the moisturizer/leave in and castor oil mix worked just as well the first time OR did you find that it didn't moisturize (unable to penetrate)? Did you have sticky hair at all if you applied a second time?

melissa-bee

My shea butter is almost finished and if I can't find anywhere to buy it in stores I'm going to switch to back to castor oil mixed with almond.

Bublin

I just found out this method works by mistake when I used a castor oil mix. It lasted a few days which says a lot for my normally dry and thirsty hair.

@Bublin, does the moisture eventually leave and you need to redo the method? If so, do you think the moisturizer/leave in and castor oil mix worked just as well the first time OR did you find that it didn't moisturize (unable to penetrate)? Did you have sticky hair at all if you applied a second time?

@simplyhair I have found the perfect combination for me. I can moisturise and seal as often as i want without a huge amount of build up by using a water/lavender and Rosemary eo spritz as the main moisture, I then coat my ends in Keracare Moisturiser and then seal with a little Castor Oil Mix.

I have to say i think it took a good few months for the moisture levels in my hair to increase to a healthy state (I had major protein overload when i started this thread but didn't realise what the problem was at the time).

My hair is now really black and shiney and i can go a few days without really needing to moisturise. I do not use any gels/styling products so there is no block to the moisture.

I mainly wear braid-outs so i always at least spritz ends very lightly and seal with CO mix so i can rebraid without any damage.

If your main moisture comes from the water then build-up from sealing often shouldn't happen as Castor Oil penetrates the strand albeit at a slower rate than say, Jojoba Oil.

I always use a CO Mix (i add Almond Oil) as on it's own it's too sticky and actually causes me breakage as i'm trying to apply it to my hair!

Last edited:

simplyhair

Thanks Bublin, I am trying to build up the moisture level in my hair. When I accidentally used the "heavy seal method", I did use gel (cowash hair, leave in, CO mix, gel). However, my hair stayed moisturized for at least 3 days before I needed to moisturize again.

Do you think a water spritz and CO mix would penetrate even though the gel was used three days ago?

Bublin

simplyhair I would say yes, it would penetrate but you would get build-up quickly if you repeated the gel/water/oil sequence and didn't wash very often.

Maybe someone else could advise as I don't use styling products but intend to experiment oneday.

Oh and when i use a water spritz I don't make my hair soaking wet, except i do with my ends as they dry very quickly. Just spray once or twice and 'press' the water into my hair then. I want my hair to be completely dry in the morning.

simplyhair

Bublin, Thanks! Yeah, I don't apply gel after the initial application. So, I'm going to keep experimenting with the "HSM", remoisturizing w/CO mix and see how it goes for me.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
So glad I found this thread! Any one still heavy sealing?

I have not used grease since I was a teenager, but found that heavy sealing is the only way to go.

I can't really use coconut oil daily as my hair is really protein sensitive. The other oils just dry out. EVOO is useless for my hair. I did find that peanut oil (refined as the unrefined has a smell) works good as well as grapeseed.

Melting together mango butter, shea butter and coco butter makes a great heavy sealant. I've noticed length retention this last month of using this.

IDK how the summer will treat my hair. I've never taken care of it before! But will see if heavy sealing is even necessary through the more humid months

GaiasDaughter24

I've been heavy sealing since last september or august, I believe. I LOVE it!!! It keeps my hair moisturized for so long. I seal with Indian Hemp grease and Castor Oil.

MystiqueBabe

Thanks for this thread. I just tried this yesterday afternoon and my hair is still moisturized and my ends are no longer brittle and frizzy. I used Blue Magic hair grease and focused it mainly on my ends on wet hair. At first, as it was drying my hair felt like a crunchy mess but after it dried it was so soft and non-greasy. My ends looked healthy and are no longer breaking. I can't stop touching my hair. This is definitely a keeper in my regimen.

Just going to say also that I am sooo glad that I did not stop using grease and throw all my "bad products" away.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Wow. Indian hemp is still around! I remember that from back in hs.

In the past I used lanolin. That stuff is thick! Might buy some just for a change tho my hair loves the cocobutter mix I make

BraunSugar

Bumping because the weather is getting cooler and the air is getting drier. This method can be especially helpful in the winter months! Since I introduced Crisco into my regimen, I have basically eliminated any problems I had retaining moisture. I use it all year now. Anyway, hope this is helpful to somebody!

youwillrise

i'll be getting back on my castor oil mixes soon. getting collllder out there!

i usually use castor oil all year round, but havent had any in a while...definitely want to get some since the weather is changing, though.

Bublin

Yes, I'm still using grease. I've switched to the Blue Magic Castor Oil. It smells like candy and is lightweight. I seal my wet hair and braid and my hair is so soft when airdried.

I need to stick to what I recommended and what works because every time I try something different my hair goes up the wall with breakage.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Same here Bublin. Stick to what works!

It is definately getting dry. My hair, skin, and even garden are in constant thirst.

I've been using a sulfured grease and my hairs been doing fine. Still might use the lanolin under it if worse comes to worse. My hair loves that too.

greenandchic

I love using Alba Un-Petroleum Jelly blended with other oils and melted cocoa butter. I started sealing my ends with my blended butters nightly and its working well so far. I will do a dusting in about a month...

youwillrise

have any of you tried heavy sealing with butters or unpetroleum jelly using the LOC moisture method? i havent tried it on butters, only oils...and i wondering if it'd work still with the heaviness of butters & unpetroleum jelly and other thicker/heavier sealers.

i have tried it with castor oil and it worked fine for me...maybe i should stick with that to stay safe lol. regular sealing doesnt work for me. hmmmm.

greenandchic

have any of you tried heavy sealing with butters or unpetroleum jelly using the LOC moisture method? i havent tried it on butters, only oils...and i wondering if it'd work still with the heaviness of butters & unpetroleum jelly and other thicker/heavier sealers.

i have tried it with castor oil and it worked fine for me...maybe i should stick with that to stay safe lol. regular sealing doesnt work for me. hmmmm.

I like unpetroleum jelly a lot, especially when I blend it with other oils. I will be buying more soon.

What's LOC?

*Frisky*

I like unpetroleum jelly a lot, especially when I blend it with other oils. I will be buying more soon.

What's LOC?

I just discovered what this is hahaha

L-Leave In
O-Oil
C-Cream

You start off by moisturizing you hair with water first, shampooing, cowashing, misting, etc then you do the L.O.C. It supposedly locks in the moisture of the water. At least this is what I get from it.

greenandchic

I just discovered what this is hahaha

L-Leave In
O-Oil
C-Cream

You start off by moisturizing you hair with water first, shampooing, cowashing, misting, etc then you do the L.O.C. It supposedly locks in the moisture of the water. At least this is what I get from it.

Thanks, *Frisky*!

I wonder what kind of creams would be recommended for this, or if a heavier butter after the leave-in is good enough - kind of an oil and cream in one.

*Frisky*

Thanks, *Frisky*!

I wonder what kind of creams would be recommended for this, or if a heavier butter after the leave-in is good enough - kind of an oil and cream in one.

I have watched a few videos and people use a variety of things . Also I notice "L" can stand for liquid but I guess it can be water or another leave in.