Heavy Protein for Natural Ladies

vtoodler

Naturals, do you use heavy proteins, such as Aphogee's 2 step or Dudley's DRC-28?

Or do you find that, now that you're natual, lighter proteins will suffice?

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Since I've been natural, I've noticed that I no longer need heavy proteins. The heaviest protein that I have that I would ever use is Nexxus Emergencee. Otherwise products that contain moderate to mild protein and my henna suffice to keep my hair strengthened.

MWilson569

I use heavy proteins.... DRC-28 and Aphogee .... I just dont need to use them very often. I especially need heavy protein's when I flatiron my hair.

Eisani

I've found my hair to be the opposite of StephElise's, although I'm sure that would be different if I still used henna. Light protein is all that's needed in conjunction with henna. My relaxed/texlaxed hair only needed very light protein whereas my natural hair can handle, and actually needs, pretty heavy doses of protein. It makes my curls delicious.

Last edited:

bride91501

I use a mild PT weekly (Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor), and I find that it seems to keep my hair strong and pliable. 3 months ago, I started using MT as a growth aid- I "grease" my scalp with it every other day. It definitely affects my moisture retention though and I need to stay on top of using a heavier moisturizer and sealer since I've added it to my reggie. It has taught me that I'm sure my strands could not tolerate using a heavy PT on their length on a regular basis.

I use Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks on my oldest daughter's hair- her strands are EXTREMELY fine (although very dense) and her hair breaks easily. Since adding this, and other protein to her reggie, she's progressed nicely from APL to BSL since September.

HTH

Nonie

I've never used heavy protein but not because I thought I didn't need it. I just think it's easier to screw up the protein/moisture balance when using hardcore protein. Plus when I was learning about protein, I came across an article that warned about incorrect use of pure protein (again w/r/t moisture balance). So it just made sense to me to use products that have both moisture and protein so I don't have to deal with the hassle of trying to make sure my moisture treatments are sufficient to balance the protein. So reconstructors are what what I tried to start with, and what I fell in love with, and what I stuck with from the getgo.

HennaRo

I thought I didn't need it, but it is obvious now I do. I have used several different protein treatments but the only thing that seems to work is henna or cowashing with a protein rich conditioner often.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I use a so-called "heavy" protein weekly. My natural hair loves it. However, I am also all about trying to maintain moisture balance so I use moisture condish in my DC routine.

JessieLeleB

My hair LOVES protein! Even tho I did the porosity test and my hair floated I think that means I used used low protein but I do protein treatments with every bi-weekly wash.

NaturalBoss

I use Aphogee 2 Step about once every 6 weeks and my natural hair loves it. I follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. I wish I could find something where I could take care of the protein AND moisture all in one, but I have yet to find anything I like.

vtoodler

I use Aphogee 2 Step about once every 6 weeks and my natural hair loves it. I follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. I wish I could find something where I could take care of the protein AND moisture all in one, but I have yet to find anything I like.

IllustriousOne

Have you tried Dudley's DRC-28? It's nearly identical to Aphogee 2-step, though not as drying.

Another option is Aubrey Organic's GPB--but that's a lighter protein.

NaturallyATLPCH

I will be three years natural next month and I am STILL confused about natural hair and protein.

I can say that I just alternate between a light protein DC and a moisture DC every other week just to keep some balance.

The only time I use a Reconstructor or hard core protein is after extensive protective styling such as braids or my havana twists.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I use nexxus emergencee before every blowout. I also use aphogee keratin spray as a leave in... I guess since I use heat I need more protein than most naturals

NaturalBoss

@IllustriousOne

Have you tried Dudley's DRC-28? It's nearly identical to Aphogee 2-step, though not as drying.

Another option is Aubrey Organic's GPB--but that's a lighter protein.

I'll have to check out the Dudley's DRC-28 :yep:. I'll have to order it because it's hard to find Dudley's up here in WA where I live.

southerncitygirl

komaza protein strengthener... unless a protein is hydrolyzed it doesn't adhere to or penetrate the hair for an extended stretch. I love it more than aphogee 2 step and I used that for a while before switching to this. i saw quantum leaps in my retention by adding protein not just moisture & ceramides.