Do you use a heavy protein?

• Yes

Votes: 59 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 47.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

No, I use a light protein (AO GPB) every week. I've tried adding an egg to my DC and that was too much for my hair, so I don't try using any heavy proteins.

How did you know that it was too much for your hair? Did your hair start to feel hard afterward?

youwillrise

I just started using heavy protein (hydrolyzed keratin diluted in spray bottle)...well, let me say I just went *back* to using heavy protein (used aphogee hardcore in my regimen a few years ago).

My natural hair is fine and very porous and my hair thrived when I used protein before, but I stopped using it for whatever reason and focused more on moisture, but I realized recently that moisture just disappears right out of my hair...no matter what I used and all this time I thought my hair just hated every moisturizer or leave in. For me, the protein helps to fill in the gaps in my hair that cause moisture loss, it also brought the resiliency back to my hair - when I pull or manipulate a section of hair, it boings back instead of coming out : )

But as it goes, what is spectacular for ones hair may be tragic for anothers.

greight

I personally believe if you have fine hair, you should highly consider med-heavy proteins :yep:. I use it and love them.

greenandchic

Does anyone else dilute heavy proteins with moisturizing conditioners to give your hair a mild boost in between heavy protein sessions? I started mixing a little Aphrogee 2-Step in my regular conditioners lately with good results. I also use AO GPB at times.

coyacoy

I have fine strands and use some form of protein weekly. When i see there is weakness in my shedd strands i do a hard protein using komaza care protein strengthener. I have mixed jheri redding w/ a moisture dc to make a mid/mild protein or use AO GVP. Tropic isle protein condish is somewhere between hard and medium IMO. Light proteins for me are giovanni nutrafix or protein fusion.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

vtoodler

I just started using heavy protein (hydrolyzed keratin diluted in spray bottle)...well, let me say I just went *back* to using heavy protein (used aphogee hardcore in my regimen a few years ago).

My natural hair is fine and very porous and my hair thrived when I used protein before, but I stopped using it for whatever reason and focused more on moisture, but I realized recently that moisture just disappears right out of my hair...no matter what I used and all this time I thought my hair just hated every moisturizer or leave in. For me, the protein helps to fill in the gaps in my hair that cause moisture loss, it also brought the resiliency back to my hair - when I pull or manipulate a section of hair, it boings back instead of coming out : )

But as it goes, what is spectacular for ones hair may be tragic for anothers.

I'm so glad that you mentioned this. I've noticed that my hair doesn't react well to most moisturizers.

Maybe that's because my hair needs more protein.

Last edited:

MsDes

I don't. I use light to medium protein. I really like ORS Hair Mayo. But as I'm getting deeper into my transition (I'm going on 7 months post) I am experiencing increased breakage. So I may need to try a heavier protein.

mstokes2008

I don't. My strands are very thick and protein sensitive. The only time I use protein is before and after I flat iron but it's still pretty light or moderate. I've only used the 2min reconstructor once and it was just ok. May try the ORS replenshing pack again next time I wash though.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Previously used: Aphogee 2 Step
Result: Protein Overload
Thus: I don't use heavy protein.
Why: Reconstructors work great for my protein sensitive hair. They make my hair feel strong yet balanced and doesn't protein overload my hair.

Raspberry

Seems like hydrolyzed proteins are all the rage in shampoos, conditioners, and leave-ins nowadays. I have enough of them in my regular products so I don't do protein treatments anymore. Maybe that will change down the line, we'll see.

Like @longfroinghair said, I don't understand why some proteins have more of an effect than others. Keratin protein as a leave-in makes my hair instantly hard.

dinarine

This is a great thread..Can someone explain what hydrolyzed proteins are? And why are they good? Are they better than other protein?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
dinarine, I borrowed the below from another site:

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy

Keratin Protein More In Depth:

*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)
The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like Keracare's humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance."

* Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

ManeStreet

when i was relaxed i did. if i saw any weird breakage starting i would use a heavy protein & it would stop

melissa-bee

I don't use heavy proteins but I should probably get back on to reconstructers, my hair like them when I was relaxed.

BadMamaJama

I'm relaxed and color treated and I kept trying to use heavy proteins and every time I'd get protein overload. Now I'm going to stick to light proteins. Chi Nourish Instense shampoo, Kenra mc and ORS replenishing. Is there anyone else like this? Any recommendations?

AtlantaJJ

I don't currently use the heavy protein treatments because I'm not using a lot of heat on my hair. If I were to straighten more often, then I would add a heavy protein to my reggie. AO GPB or something similar works fine for me now.

healthyhair2

Luckily,my hair loves it because it's a necessity. My hair is relaxed and permanently colored. The Aphogee 2 step is ok, but my Optimum Salon Care Intensive Reconstructor works just as well. I might look to get Dudley's DRC 28 in the future.

Lilmama1011

healthyhair2 said:
Luckily,my hair loves it because it's a necessity. My hair is relaxed and permanently colored. The Aphogee 2 step is ok, but my Optimum Salon Care Intensive Reconstructor works just as well. I might look to get Dudley's DRC 28 in the future.

How often do you do your protein treatments?

irisak

I use aphogee 2 step every 8-12 weeks. If I don't use protein my hair won't hold moisture. In fact aphogee makes my strands softer even before a moisturizing dc.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

baddison

natural for good
I vote: NO....actually its more like: NEVER! Lol... I use NUPUR Henna every single month and because of the strengthening herbs, my hair is uber strong. Heavy Protein would break the mess out of it. :nono:

coolsista-paris

baddison said:
I vote: NO....actually its more like: NEVER! Lol... I use NUPUR Henna every single month and because of the strengthening herbs, my hair is uber strong. Heavy Protein would break the mess out of it. :nono:

henna is great. i hate the rinsing out part.its sooooo long. but henna works great. i did it last month for the last time.
i mix it with olive oil to avoid henna drying my hair out + an egg . there you go. nice strong hair and soooo easy to detangle ! + its soft after all that. love it. (but...not the rinsing) lol

maxineshaw

No. I never noticed a difference in my hair. I prefer to condition my hair daily with moisture and oils.

I do like the Aphogee 2 min treatment.