Heavy Protein Correcting Porosity

vtoodler

Will a heavy protein, such as Aphogee 2 step or Dudley's DRC-28, correct high poristy problems?

Last edited:

bellebebe

IDK but I certainly hope so. My hair has been breaking with every touch. I'm doing the DRC protein treatment on Tuesday, and I really hope it helps me out. As for porosity, I bought roux porosity control. I've only used it twice, but my hair is still being a bad girl. Well, it never hurts to try.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
In my experience, it does help reduce porosity. Using protein treatments in general will help, but its much more effective when you also incorporate a conditioner that specifically addresses porosity into your reggie. Protein helps fill "gaps" in the cuticle but acidifying contioners "lay down" the cuticles themselves; raised cuticles = porous hair. I find Roux porosity control conditioner works well, I use it every wash :yep:

Akemi

Yes. It can help. But products with the right pH address this problem directly. Why don't you try Joico K-Pak reconstructor? It has both protein and a low pH.

davisbr88

ITA with halee_J. It helps to fill in the gaps, not necessarily "corrects" it. I'm a heavy protein user and love the way my hair feels afterwards (like silk!) but I have to admit that while ACV rinses don't give me that same feel, my hair definitely stays moisturized longer, and I'm assuming it's because of the same reasons mentioned - laying the cuticles flatter.

qchelle

High porosity... is that when hair dries really fast?

Sent from my WX445 using WX445

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
High porosity... is that when hair dries really fast?

From sistaslicka's article:

High levels of moisture loss are also experienced over time. Highly porous hair absorbs more water when wet, but also loses even more as it dries. The moisture loss is a result of a shoddy cuticle layer barrier. Water flows in, and flows right on out just as easily. The cuticles are so lifted or damaged that they cannot adequately hold the moisture inside. This is why when porous hair is fully dried, it often feels swollen, puffy, and rough to the touch.

Will a heavy protein, such as Aphogee 2 step or Dudley's DRC-28, correct high poristy problems?

It certainly helps. I, like a few other posters, use Roux Porosity Control as part of my wash routine. The combo of PC and some protein seems to do its job on correcting porosity.

My hair used to dry INSTANTLY with a towel and ceiling fan in 5 - 10 minutes tops. From root to tip. Now since working on the problem over time, it certainly has improved.

greenandchic

From sistaslicka's article:

It certainly helps. I, like a few other posters, use Roux Porosity Control as part of my wash routine. The combo of PC and some protein seems to do its job on correcting porosity.

My hair used to dry INSTANTLY with a towel and ceiling fan in 5 - 10 minutes tops. From root to tip. Now since working on the problem over time, it certainly has improved.

Do you feel you have to change the products you use on your hair?

My hair soaks up a lot of oils because its so porous - I wonder if that will change if I use something like Roux..

lilyofthenile

I found that doing regular protein treatments while keeping a balance between moisture and protein really helps with porosity.

bellebebe

I've also found that ceramides help with Porosity issues. They really do close the cuticle. I thought I had that problem, but I did the test the other day, and my hair floated. It did not even sink although the water was slightly agitated. I'm still gonna finish my roux condish, but it turns out all I needed was a protein treatment. So, yeah. Protein treatments do help out a lot.

Imani

My hair is porous, but heavy proteins just dry my hair out. I tried porosity control back when I was relaxed and it didn't help much either. I did the acv rinse too whic just made my hair feel like straw.

I stopped using chemicals, minimize heat, and just work on keeping my moisure level up. While it has improved some, I've just accepted it as a property of my hair.

Last time I went to the salon my stylist commented on how my hair is like a sponge. Didn't say it like it was a bad thing just that's just how my hair is. She also commented on how healthy and well taken care of my hair looked. So I don't think just bc u have porous hair its necessarily unhealthy.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using SGH-T839

BraunSugar

Ultra Sheen has a protein treatment called Duo Tex that has a Low pH. It's really good for this problem. When I initially used it I was leaving it in too long and not rinsing it well from my hair, so my hair was hard. Once I made sure I removed it completely and didn't exceed the recommended time, it was great. I use it once a week.