Heat Training Support Thread

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Heatlaxed ladies: When you do your twists (if you still do your twists), do the ends stay? I mean, are y'all still doing twist outs?

Also, for the most part, does all of your hair texture loosen the same way? or do you have looser parts, medium parts, and then kinky parts (or is something done wrong if it ends up like this)?

TIA.
The ends of my twists only stay if I do twists on wet hair. But I never wear wet twists as a style. I use twists to airdry my hair if I'm not going to use heat. When I do twists on dry hair, the ends do not stay. They unravel.

It seems like with my hair, it does not loosen all the same way. It loosens relative to the original texture. For instance, before I ever straightened my hair, the top/front part of my hair was always the straightest and the crown was always the nappiest. The nape and sides had this silky kinky thing going on. With heat training, each area of my hair is looser based on it's original hair texture. Like the top/front part of my hair is just a bit straighter than usual. Hope that makes sense.

Hey PoohBear,
How are you using Ultrasheen? I got it a few months ago--I think based on your recommendation:lol:, but maybe I didn't use enough...Do dab on each piece of hair you flat iron or put it on in big sections...?

Yes. I either put a small amount on each piece of hair I flat iron. Or I'll section off a section of hair and apply it to that section before separating it out into smaller pieces to flat-iron.

keepithealthy

i use grease for pressing too! apex pressing oil is my baby daddy! its the lightest most non greasy grease ive ever used! plus it has no smell! i hear no crackling when i use it and it gives the ultimate blang blang and swang swang!:lol:

my hair stays bone straight for weeks with this joint!:yep:

I've used this product sometimes when I straighten my hair and it works well. My mom used to use this a lot when I was little and my straight hair would last for maybe two weeks.

Kiki0130

I know a lot of ladies are not a fan of this, but I use grease to straighten my natural hair. It has helped "heat-train" my hair. I currently use Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres (white jar with light yellow writing). Grease is the only product that keeps my hair from reverting. Whenever I wash my hair, it goes back to normal. I don't have any permanently straight pieces in my hair and do not want that either.

I feel like heat training is more about helping your hair to straighten easier and it's more for naturals who prefer to wear their hair straight majority of the time.

I know it's not popular or even well-known but the last time I
straightened my natural hair, I used good ol' Crisco. I had an
epiphany of sorts after MyAngelEyes~C~U posted about it and
I watched her video.

My mom used the Utra Sheen Creme Satin Pres back in the day
and my hair did just fine. All this worrying about heat damage
stressed me out and I just decided to go for it one day. I
maintained my hair in about 4 or 8 bantu knots and my Crisco-
press lasted until I washed my hair 12 days later. Full reversion.

I always thought heat-training was simply to help the hair to
straighten more easily but after watching Brittany's example over
time, I see it as a way to gain more manageability, lessen the
time it takes to detangle and to prevent those SSK's.

I'm on the fence about it because I like a big ol' puff when I want
a big ol' puff. Can't have it both ways. Once you start down this
road, there will be no more big ol' puff. Then again, did y'all see
Brittany's video with the ca-yute puff?

Yep, I'm definitely on the fence about it :yep:

reeko43

I was watching a video on youtube with meekajael (real queens regimen). She flat irons with shea butter and really raves about it. Her hair really looked nice. I ordered shea butter a few days ago for my skin and to condition my hair but I think I will try flat ironing with it as well whenever I want a straight look. Here's the link:

YouTube - Flat Iron Tutorial: Silky Straight!!!

geejay

^ I'm thinking hard about it too, Kiki0130. Not sure what I will do, but I'm really happy to have all this information from women with such beautiful heads of hair. It really really helps!

Oh, to the current heat trainers, would you say your hair strands are on the coarse/medium side or fine side? I'm wondering if heat training is more successful with certain hair traits.

30something

I use avocado oil to flat iron with no adverse effects, the smoke point is really high for an oil .. at 450 degrees. Once at 450 the oil is suppose to break down and start boiling... I used coconut oil which has a lower smoke point, it came out great but I'm still on the fence with using it it again.. Avocado oil is where its at.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I was watching a video on youtube with meekajael (real queens regimen). She flat irons with shea butter and really raves about it. Her hair really looked nice. I ordered shea butter a few days ago for my skin and to condition my hair but I think I will try flat ironing with it as well whenever I want a straight look. Here's the link:

Her hair is so strait and blinging I thought she was relaxed.:blush:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Heatlaxed ladies: When you do your twists (if you still do your twists), do the ends stay? I mean, are y'all still doing twist outs?

Also, for the most part, does all of your hair texture loosen the same way? or do you have looser parts, medium parts, and then kinky parts (or is something done wrong if it ends up like this)?

TIA.

i no longer wear twists because frankly my hair is just too fine but they can and do stay.they key to get nice twist end is to twist until about an inch is left. apply extra product on the end and comb through with a rat tail comb. then wrap it around the tail of the comb. this gives a perfect spirall end that doesnt tangle or knot up. i have been doing this since my hair was long enough to twist. if for some reason i could no longer do this i would have to stop and reassess my hairs condition. as of now my hair spirals from root to tip and i intend to keep it that way:yep:

if you can see i do have a looser part at the top/front of my hair
it is not burnt or more "heat trained" than the rest of my hair. that is just the fickle nature of the texture on the top. it has always been like that even prior to heat training.with gel it looks completely straight. when dry it creates a spiral curl.

here is a twist out i did

i wear them half up or in a bun because my layers look awful in a twist out. i plan on wearing big fluffy wist outs when i get a blunt cut. i like bantu sets and wear them often when i want a no heat "out" style.

Last edited:

Wanderland

Hey ladies, I posted my pics in the other thread. I'm a HT who wears my hair in its shrunken state about 75-90% of the time.

tapioca_pudding

Nice thread. I'm almost 4 months post, planning to transition for 1 year or more. Once I'm natchal I'll prolly flat iron every other week.. I actually like the look of elongated curls, to be honest. Or 'saggy' as Napp calls them :lol: I love hang-time, and Im a 3c/4a so my curls tend to be tight and angry lol. Anywho, Ill be lurking in this thread. :yep:

Poohbear

For the ladies that have started already, would it be possible to post your reggies and even tempratures? It would also be interesting to know to what degree you have kept your texture whether by design or not as I see a lot of people are interested in retaining as much texture as possible.

I wash my hair with Mane N Tail Shampoo

I condition my hair with Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus

I detangle in the shower, towel dry, then put my hair into 8 loose twists

I unravel a section, apply Mane N Tail Conditioner, then blowdry with my Andis Ceramic Blowdryer with brush attachment (I used to use a comb attachment but have found that the brush gives smoother results)

After blowdrying all my hair, I section my hair off in smaller pieces and apply the Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres on each section before straightening with my CHI flat iron. It's 370 degrees Fahrenheit. I usually do one pass and curl the ends with the flat iron to make it nice and smooth. The flat iron with grease makes my hair bone straight. If I keep texture to my hair, it will revert with a quickness, and I don't want that.

At night, I'll apply a little bit of grease or oil to my hair, then I hang my head upside down, gently gather my hair on top of my head, put it in a loose looped bun, and put on a satin scarf. In the morning, I just take out the ponytail holder and fluff it down with my fingers. No combing at all. My ends will still have curl to them.

I do this routine once a month (and sometimes longer if it hasn't reverted and if I don't feel like doing my hair)!

Picture - Jan 21st, 2011

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

I remember my mom used to use ultra sheen satin press. I wonder if that was the real reason for the lack of reversion whereas I've been using sabino moisture block. Pooh bear, do you think any grease will do or should it specifically be the pressing grease. Im on my phone so can't compare ingredients right now.

Wanderland

Reggie:
I only flat iron sporadically once every 2-3 months, and wear it maybe 1-2 weeks.
Wash with clarifying poo in 4 sections, condition making sure to rinse it all out, apply leave in (use Nairobi when I straighten). Apply Sabino moisture block using it lightly. Allow to airdry as much as possible in 4 sections. Blow dry with comb attachment on warm.
Flat ironing: small sections starting from nape. Detangle each section with fine tooth comb prior to using iron. Tap the roots a couple of times then down the length that has never had heat before maybe about 4 passes, then one final pass all the way to ends holding hair taut while flat ironing it.

I find super clean hair with minimal products and a cone for heat protection gives me the best soft press. Reversion is never my issue, greasy heavy hair is what prompts me to wash it out.

Btw most of my technique was adapted from prior BKT technique, and products from those Brittany recommended, which I love.

If I'm just wanting straight hair for a special occasion I wash with clarifying poo use my Softliss hair mask(cone wash out treatment) apply very light heat protectant (silk elements) and flat iron still tapping roots but only 1 pass for rest of head. It gives me SUPER blinging swinging hair. I'm sure it's the cone mask though.

In the interim months I just Cowash following curly girl technique and modified tightlycurly if doing wash-n-gos. I do "set" (2 stand, flat twist, bantus) styles on old hair dry hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Lynnerie

Do you think its better to use a silicone based product for heat protectant or a pressing grease?

I wonder if one is better than the other based on the size of the strand/thickness of the hair?

My hair is very dense and most of my strands are medium although I've found some thick and fine strands on my head.

Tiye

I know it's not popular or even well-known but the last time I
straightened my natural hair, I used good ol' Crisco. I had an
epiphany of sorts after MyAngelEyes~C~U posted about it and
I watched her video.

My mom used the Utra Sheen Creme Satin Pres back in the day
and my hair did just fine. All this worrying about heat damage
stressed me out and I just decided to go for it one day. I
maintained my hair in about 4 or 8 bantu knots and my Crisco-
press lasted until I washed my hair 12 days later. Full reversion.

I always thought heat-training was simply to help the hair to
straighten more easily
but after watching Brittany's example over
time, I see it as a way to gain more manageability, lessen the
time it takes to detangle and to prevent those SSK's.

^^ This is why I did it. My hair was very hard to straighten and reverted if I went anywhere near water. I don't have to deal with that anymore and I can use a lot less heat.

I'm on the fence about it because I like a big ol' puff when I want
a big ol' puff. Can't have it both ways. Once you start down this
road, there will be no more big ol' puff. Then again, did y'all see
Brittany's video with the ca-yute puff?

My hair is still kinky and puffy and I doubt that it will ever stop being this way. It depends on your hair texture. The good thing about heat training is you have precision control over the process. If your curls/coils are getting too loose for your taste - then stop.

Yep, I'm definitely on the fence about it :yep:

Muse

Yup shea butter really works! It made my hair so soft and straight but I stopped because I heard some folks say that using any type of oil or oily substance will fry your hair like chicken in cooking oil.

Do you think its better to use a silicone based product for heat protectant or a pressing grease?

I wonder if one is better than the other based on the size of the strand/thickness of the hair?

My hair is very dense and most of my strands are medium although I've found some thick and fine strands on my head.

I like silicones. Offers better protection. Since I've been using Sabino FAITHFULLY I have not noticed any splits at all and I always check. I used to have mad splits when I was flat ironing over processed relaxed hair. I flat iron weekly.

Muse

I think I'm gonna put away the blow dryer. I use to air dry and then flat iron and my hair was softer and more moist but tangled when I went to flat iron. The dryer makes it straighter and I can iron faster but it zaps all the moisture out even on the cool setting. I just have to find a way to stretch my hair so that there are no tangles when it dries. This has been challenging for my 4b hair. Any 4bs air dry successfully before flat ironing?

Also I rediscovered Chi Silk Infusions and I am so glad I did. I can't tell you how many times I was about to give it away because of the smell but for some reason decided to hang on to it. It makes my hair easier to straighten, soft, silky, protects from the heat (though I still use a bit of sabino) and reconstructs. I realized that I can't use those keratin reconstructors, they break my hair but I do need something to keep the strength up. Silk protein is very strong and I can reconstruct while flat ironing. Check this product out if you haven't already.

ETA: Links from Navsegda. She explains heat use, silicones, silk, etc. VERY well.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...can-have-healthy-hair-w-regular-heat-use.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...chi-silk-infusion-worked-my-hair-however.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...15260-chi-silk-infusion-vs-regular-cones.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...y-bad-use-oil-when-pressing-flat-ironing.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...nce-preventing-relaxer-damage-using-silk.html --This is about silk preventing damage to relaxed hair but I think it can be applied to heat trained hair as well.

Last edited:

Poohbear

I remember my mom used to use ultra sheen satin press. I wonder if that was the real reason for the lack of reversion whereas I've been using sabino moisture block. Pooh bear, do you think any grease will do or should it specifically be the pressing grease. Im on my phone so can't compare ingredients right now.

I think greases that are thick (more like pomade, not liquidy) will work best. So yes, a pressing grease. So far, the best greases for my hair have been Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres and Proclaim Bergamot Emerald Hair & Scalp Conditioner (green color). One time I tried Blue Magic grease and it didn't get my hair straight, it was still fuzzy and all oily and stringy. I only did it on a section of hair, not all over since I saw it didn't work. I've never used Sabino Moisture Block...I've thought of trying it but I feel like it's overpriced for the size you get.

Ingredients in Ultra Sheen Creme Pres:
Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Lanolin, Water, Beeswax, Hydrogenated Cotton Seed Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Sodium Borate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Disodium Edta, Tetrasodium Edta, Tocopherol, D&C Yellow No. 11, Citric Acid

Ingredients in Sabino Moisture Block:
Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone

Poohbear

I think I'm gonna put away the blow dryer. I use to air dry and then flat iron and my hair was softer and more moist but tangled when I went to flat iron. The dryer makes it straighter and I can iron faster but it zaps all the moisture out even on the cool setting. I just have to find a way to stretch my hair so that there are no tangles when it dries. This has been challenging for my 4b hair. Any 4bs air dry successfully before flat ironing?

Also I rediscovered Chi Silk Infusions and I am so glad I did. I can't tell you how many times I was about to give it away because of the smell but for some reason decided to hang on to it. It makes my hair easier to straighten, soft, silky, protects from the heat (though I still use a bit of sabino) and reconstructs. I realized that I can't use those keratin reconstructors, they break my hair but I do need something to keep the strength up. Silk protein is very strong and I can reconstruct while flat ironing. Check this product out if you haven't already.

I used to use Chi Silk Infusion Silk Restructuring Complex to blowdry my hair. I only used it once. After the bottle ran out, I didn't buy it again only because of the price. I actually liked this product for my hair. It was excellent at straightening out my natural hair and making it feel silky.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I think greases that are thick (more like pomade, not liquidy) will work best. So yes, a pressing grease. So far, the best greases for my hair have been Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres and Proclaim Bergamot Emerald Hair & Scalp Conditioner (green color). One time I tried Blue Magic grease and it didn't get my hair straight, it was still fuzzy and all oily and stringy. I only did it on a section of hair, not all over since I saw it didn't work. I've never used Sabino Moisture Block...I've thought of trying it but I feel like it's overpriced for the size you get.

Ingredients in Ultra Sheen Creme Pres:
Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Lanolin, Water, Beeswax, Hydrogenated Cotton Seed Oil, Phenyl Trimethicone, Sodium Borate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Disodium Edta, Tetrasodium Edta, Tocopherol, D&C Yellow No. 11, Citric Acid

Ingredients in Sabino Moisture Block:
Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone

I'm not sure what you mean by watery lol I have two greases. I have Isoplus natural remedy tea tree and aloe conditioner. Ingredients:

Petrolatum, PAraffin wax, mineral oil, dulse, horsetail, sage, rosemary, hyssop, aloe vera oil, tea tree oil, fragrance, isopropyl myristate, coconut oil, propyparaben, and some color i dont wanna type out lol

And I have hollywood beauty castor oil

Ingredients: Hollywood Beauty Oil Complex (Castor Oil, Mink Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Jojoba Oil, Paraffin Oil, Safflower Oil, Lanolin, Cocoa Butter, Propylparaben, Fragrance.

I think I may try them both on half and half to test them out. I don't feel like purchasing anything new until I finish what I have.

Muse

I used to use Chi Silk Infusion Silk Restructuring Complex to blowdry my hair. I only used it once. After the bottle ran out, I didn't buy it again only because of the price. I actually liked this product for my hair. It was excellent at straightening out my natural hair and making it feel silky.

:yep: This stuff is great for natural hair. It was actually while reading through Navsegda's old scientific posts about this product that made me remember that I had it. I dug it out and now it's gonna be a new staple. I heard you can get it at TJ Maxx or Marshall's cheaper. I'm going to check next week.

Poohbear

I'm not sure what you mean by watery lol I have two greases. I have Isoplus natural remedy tea tree and aloe conditioner. Ingredients:

Petrolatum, PAraffin wax, mineral oil, dulse, horsetail, sage, rosemary, hyssop, aloe vera oil, tea tree oil, fragrance, isopropyl myristate, coconut oil, propyparaben, and some color i dont wanna type out lol

And I have hollywood beauty castor oil

Ingredients: Hollywood Beauty Oil Complex (Castor Oil, Mink Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Jojoba Oil, Paraffin Oil, Safflower Oil, Lanolin, Cocoa Butter, Propylparaben, Fragrance.

I think I may try them both on half and half to test them out. I don't feel like purchasing anything new until I finish what I have.

What I mean by the grease can't be watery/liquidy is that it can't feel too greasy or too loose or too oily. It has to be more thick like beeswax or peanut butter. :lol: It's hard to explain but I hope that helps.

LaFemmeNaturelle

What I mean by the grease can't be watery/liquidy is that it can't feel too greasy or too loose or too oily. It has to be more thick like beeswax or peanut butter. :lol: It's hard to explain but I hope that helps.

lmbo peanut butter definitely made things worse lol maybe I'll just try the hollywood beauty. That doesn't have the traditional grease feeling. Do you mean it can't feel like vaseline? lol

LaFemmeNaturelle

Well I straightened my hair yesterday. Pic in my siggy. The hollywood beauty castor oil has helped to keep my hair straight so thanks for the grease idea pooh bear. It's actually straighter than it is in my siggy. I guess because it weighed my hair down a bit but that's just fine by me. I'll continue to post my updates once a month.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
your hair is beautiful! i dream of that kind of thickness:lick:

also i took out my weave today and did a protien treatment. its been 6 weeks without heat and i think i am going to die:look: my hair has gone back to acting a fool. i could barley get it into a bun. im trying to hold out straightening to get my har back on track but i dont know how much longer i can wait:nono:i couldnt press it anyway because im outta grease. i gotta stop by the bss tommorow:vette:

tdwillis

I really love this thread. I also think deep conditioning is essential for heat training. What deep conditioners are you ladies using for your hair?

localhost

I seriously need some help, ladies.

Please talk me down from the ledge. I'm considering going back to relaxing because my hair texture is just too much. I really don't know what to do.

I am a true 4b, and my hair is about SL stretched. How in the world are you guys manipulating your hair without all the breakage? What am I doing wrong?

I wash and condition, then braid my hair to air dry. Then I apply some shea butter, blow dry and proceed to flat iron. My hair breaks at every stage! It's really unnerving.

I've straightened my hair today, but now I feel that it is 1000% pointless. I work out everyday, and my hair reverts fast the second some moisture touches it. I don't want my hair to shrink b/c it tangles and breaks, but I can't wear it straight b/c I workout and nothing can save it. Twists, braids, etc, etc are NOT the look that I want. I'm burned out on them.

Please tell me it gets easier...my hair looks and acts just like velcro.