3 Dumb Questions about Heat Training

Charla

I've been doing lengthly research for 2 weeks on what the next step for me should be. And, guys, I'm truly fatigued! So I'm going to ask my questions direct. (Later tonight after I put the kids to bed, I'll curl up with a glass of wine and read the heat trained naturals thread from start.)

1. Can you heat train using only the blow dryer on med or high heat weekly or biweekly? (no flat iron)
  2. Do heat trained/training ladies use heat protectant?
  3. Can I M&S and then apply grapeseed oil as a way to heat train but slowly heat train? To clarify... I mean I know normally people apply heat protectants on bare hair. But instead, could I moisturize first then apply grapeseed oil before blow drying? That way heat training would be taking place but in a more gradual manner versus no heat protectant at all.
I'm at a crossroads with my hair and am trying to decide between heat training, relaxing or keeping my natural texture (about 4a). My main struggles are with lengthy detangling sessions, ridiculous lack of styling skills and SSK, SSK, SSK -- did I say SSK! I'm so tired of cutting.:sad:

(For the last month, I was having major spiderweb matting too even after fully detangling, and I've solved that problem by spraying my hair with AVJ after washing/cond and letting hair 90% airdry. So at least that portion was a win!) Oh, and I've finally achieve SOFT SOFT SOFT hair with Organix Macadamia Oil conditioner as a leave in and sealing with either Crisco or pure madademia oil.

Thanks, Ladies

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Idk about heat training but there is a girl on YouTube that heat trains. She doesn't believe in heat protectants and passes several times with the flat iron. she also uses over 400 degrees of heat. I think. Her utube page is sistawithrealhair. Good luck!!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

karenjoe

:babyg: I think I'm heat trained cause there is no way I could stretch my relaxers without blow drying my hair...... no way!
I DC & wash once per month:blush: ( nothing special I'm on a diet & working out like crazy, sweatin' like a pig) + I luv wigs... so it work for me.
I may start washing twice a month...... :spinning: who knows?

I use heat protectant. + a de tangler, if i need it before the blow dry
..... I luv my products..:grin:
I have to use heat to manage my hair.
I also add some type of light sheen . (or seal my ends)
I don't know my hair texture...... http://www.public.fotki.com/karenjoe/

maybe somebody can tell me.... I have at least 3 textures....:lol:

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Can you heat train using only the blow dryer on med or high heat weekly or biweekly? (no flat iron) yes
Do heat trained/training ladies use heat protectant? some do, some don't
Can I M&S and then apply grapeseed oil as a way to heat train but slowly heat train? Not quite getting this question..

Charla

Can I M&S and then apply grapeseed oil as a way to heat train but slowly heat train? Not quite getting this question..
Thank you. I mean I know normally people apply heat protectants on bare hair. But instead, could I moisturize first then apply grapeseed oil before blow drying? That way heat training would be taking place but in a more gradual manner versus no heat protectant at all.

tamm

1. Yes - reference on youtube - Longhairdontcare2011- she only uses a blow dryer
flat irons maybe once a year
2. I do but on youtube - Sistawithrealhair does not
3. I dont understand this one, but you can heat train slowly youtube reference Brittanynic16 I go by her heat training guidelines and my hair is soooooo health and thrives

I was in the same boat as you with the ssks and the 2 - 3 hour detangling sessions so I decided heat training was better than chemicals. It took me three sessions / flat ironed once a month to loosen my curl patter now i can detangle my hair in 10 min I love my hair this way it is the best decision i have made for my hair, but I did research heat training for at least 3-6 months before i decided to do it

Charla

1. Yes - reference on youtube - Longhairdontcare2011- she only uses a blow dryer
flat irons maybe once a year
2. I do but on youtube - Sistawithrealhair does not
3. I dont understand this one, but you can heat train slowly youtube reference Brittanynic16 I go by her heat training guidelines and my hair is soooooo health and thrives

I was in the same boat as you with the ssks and the 2 - 3 hour detangling sessions so I decided heat training was better than chemicals. It took me three sessions / flat ironed once a month to loosen my curl patter now i can detangle my hair in 10 min I love my hair this way it is the best decision i have made for my hair, but I did research heat training for at least 3-6 months before i decided to do it

Thanks! Wow you were able to loosen your curl pattern in just 3 sessions! So glad to hear about the 10 min detangling sessions! That's a dream thought for me. I have started watching Brittney's channel.
I clarified my 3rd question above.

virtuenow

Look up Brittanynic16 and Longhairdontcare on youtube. They both heat train with blow dryer's now. However, Brittanynic16 used to heat train w/the flat iron and has extensive videos on it. That way you can see both sides. I thought you relaxed, how did it turn oiut

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Thank you. I mean I know normally people apply heat protectants on bare hair. But instead, could I moisturize first then apply grapeseed oil before blow drying? That way heat training would be taking place but in a more gradual manner versus no heat protectant at all.

Sure you can.

Charla

Look up Brittanynic16 and Longhairdontcare on youtube. They both heat train with blow dryer's now. However, Brittanynic16 used to heat train w/the flat iron and has extensive videos on it. That way you can see both sides. I thought you relaxed, how did it turn oiut

Thanks! No, I'm not relaxed yet. Still fully natural. As much as I thought relaxing was going to be it, I'm still just trying to weigh all my options so I make an informed decision with minimal regrets.