Heat Protectants and Cones

workinprogress1

Do all heat Protectants have cones ? Are the cones the part that is protecting the hair from the heat ? I saw on YouTube people using grapeseed oil as heat protectant, is that okay ? I saw a heat protectant by Pantene that had no cones but it said for fine hair so I left it in the store. I really don't use heat I just want to know in case I get the urge. And I plan on getting braids this month so I might blow dry my hair for that.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
From my understanding yes cones help protect the hair from heat. Before cones people use to use oil which also act a barrier. Grapeseed is a good option (if you don't want to use cones) because the smoke point is very high (that's why it's good for frying). If you use grapeseed oil or a cone filled protectant use the lowest setting possible to achieve the desired results (remember 1-2 passes is better than several passes).

RENIBELL

not sure , but all the really good heat protectants that i have used have cones.
i think cones have a higher heat resistance than other ingredients. i use any cone filled condish before i straighten for extra protection too. hope this helps a bit, i'm no expert .

workinprogress1

Nix08 said:
From my understanding yes cones help protect the hair from heat. Before cones people use to use oil which also act a barrier. Grapeseed is a good option (if you don't want to use cones) because the smoke point is very high (that's why it's good for frying). If you use grapeseed oil or a cone filled protectant use the lowest setting possible to achieve the desired results (remember 1-2 passes is better than several passes).

Hmmm so does the oil work just as well ? Or is it safer to use the cone filled heat protectants? I am afraid of heat because I am transitioning to natural and don't want any heat damage on my journey.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I wouldn't want to lead you down a damaged path so since I don't use it, I'd suggest doing a search on it either in here or on google. Sorry...

workinprogress1

[USER]Renibull[/USER] Do you use a sulfate shampoo regularly to get all the cones out? I noticed in the other thread you said you dont air dry. Do you use the tension method to blow dry your hair? Do you have any other tips for avoiding heat damage?

Nonie

I've never used anything but products with cones as heat protectants. I do not believe oils are heat protectants. If they were, we'd not be using oils as a means to cook food coz they'd prevent the heat from getting to food or delay its reach and we'd be waiting forever for food to cook. :look:

This topic has been discussed before: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=587153

Also workinprogress1 who are you talking to ^^in your post? It helps if you would quote the post of the person you're asking, and then mention them by typing @ right before their name, coz people don't always return to discussions they didn't start so whoever you're talking to may never answer your question.

workinprogress1

I've never used anything but products with cones as heat protectants. I do not believe oils are heat protectants. If they were, we'd not be using oils as a means to cook food coz they'd prevent the heat from getting to food or delay its reach and we'd be waiting forever for food to cook. :look:

This topic has been discussed before: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=587153

Also @workinprogress1 who are you talking to ^^in your post? It helps if you would quote the post of the person you're asking, and then mention them by typing @ right before their name, coz people don't always return to discussions they didn't start so whoever you're talking to may never answer your question.

Nonie I tried to mention and it showed for me but I guess it failed. That thread tells me oils dont work as heat protectant... Cones must be the only thing that protect hair from direct heat... Oh well, I am going to just leave the blow dryer alone. Thank you.

RENIBELL

Also workinprogress1 who are you talking to ^^in your post? It helps if you would quote the post of the person you're asking, and then mention them by typing @ right before their name, coz people don't always return to discussions they didn't start so whoever you're talking to may never answer your question.

Nonie
thnks for another useful post, off to check out the thread.

Nonie

@Nonie I tried to mention and it showed for me but I guess it failed. That thread tells me oils dont work as heat protectant... Cones must be the only thing that protect hair from direct heat... Oh well, I am going to just leave the blow dryer alone. Thank you.

@workinprogress1 what do you mean mention doesn't work? That's how I find out you said something to me coz you mention me and it shows in the post and I get an alerty. If you mention and even it doesn't work, the mention doesn't go poop in the post. It would still show your attempt. Like here I am trying to mention an imaginary person @zimaginarymemberofLHCF. The post I quoted didn't have any indication of an attempt to mention anyone.

As you can see^^, the string depicting an attempt to mention shows up. So that's what I meant, whoever you were asking that question would've known you were talking to them if you had mentioned them. Or even if it didn't work because of a typo, someone else might've helped out by mentioning them correctly for you. But it helps to know whom you were trying to address.

Last edited:

workinprogress1

Nonie said:
@workinprogress1 what do you mean mention doesn't work? That's how I find out you said something to me coz you mention me and it shows in the post and I get an alerty. If you mention and even it doesn't work, the mention doesn't go poop in the post. It would still show your attempt. Like here I am trying to mention an imaginary person @zimaginarymemberofLHCF. The post I quoted didn't have any indication of an attempt to mention anyone.

As you can see^^, the string depicting an attempt to mention shows up. So that's what I meant, whoever you were asking that question would've known you were talking to them if you had mentioned them. Or even if it didn't work because of a typo, someone else might've helped out by mentioning them correctly for you. But it helps to know whom you were trying to address.

Nonie said:

Nonie it was showing mention mention on both sides and the name I used the speaker box thing that automatically mentions. But then when I checked it after you said I didn't mention I just saw the @ sign . idk weird.

Aviah

It is the cones that are heat protectants for the hair. I don't know of any without them, something about silicone that breaks down at a higher heat than oils, which helps protect the cuticle.

workinprogress1

workinprogress1 said:
[USER]Renibull[/USER] Do you use a sulfate shampoo regularly to get all the cones out? I noticed in the other thread you said you dont air dry. Do you use the tension method to blow dry your hair? Do you have any other tips for avoiding heat damage?

RENIBELL I spelled your name wrong when I first tried to mention you ...

Nonie

@Nonie from my view it still shows mention mention on both sides around their name I will try again .

@workinprogress1 instead of using that silly icon, why not just type @followed.immediately.by.name.of.person and let that be your mention. That's what I do. It's never failed me except for when I spell the name wrong and mention the wrong person.

workinprogress1

Nonie said:
@workinprogress1 instead of using that silly icon, why not just type @followed.immediately.by.name.of.person and let that be your mention. That's what I do. It's never failed me except for when I spell the name wrong and mention the wrong person.

Nonie that's what I did that time goshhhhh . Are you a teacher or mother lol Because you definitely remind me of a teacher or mother. I will always use the @followed.immedietely.by.name.of.person from now on I promise :)

Nonie

@workinprogress1 :lachen: I'm so honored you think I am either of two labels I hold in high esteem and have utmost respect for. :notworthy Sadly I'm neither but you have totally made my day by putting me in the same category as such amazing people. Two of my favorite people wear both hats each so you can understand why I'm cheesing so at your kind, albeit wrong, assumption. :grin:

sckri23

Nonie said:

Thank you I knew I wasnt crazy when it came to oils and heat and frying