Have you ever used a conditioner that left your hair straw-like? Please report.

Have you ever used a conditioner that left your hair straw-like and feeling nasty?

• Yes, I was livid.

Votes: 133 90.5%
  • No, God has been good to me--never ever.

Votes: 14 9.5%

• Total voters
cosign on the Organix: the conditioners smell nice, but they leave your hair feeling like pure straw.

also:
- aubrey organics honeysuckle rose conditioner
- avalon organics ylang ylang conditioner
- giovanni leave in conditioner

Giovanni made my hair feel really dry as well. I was shocked b/c it has such good reviews. I gave it two tries but :nono:

*Muffin*

Unfortunately, yes (though I still think God has been good to me :grin:). The three conditioners I had issues with are the 365 Fragrance Free conditioner, Elasta QP DPR deep conditioner (though it smelled heavenly), and the Elasta QP Mango Butter (not sure if it can be considered a conditioner, though). I wanted to like these three products so badly, the first one because it was cheap and the last two because they smelled awesome and so many other LHCF'ers liked them, but my hair HATED them. Instant straw, for some reason. And I don't even think these products contained protein, so I don't know why my hair freaked out like that. Oh well, :rolleyes:.

P.S. Almost forgot to add EO conditioners. My hair really hates them. Does the opposite of what a conditioner is supposed to do, for me. As for Giovanni products, my hair is what my folks call "sometimeded" with the leave-in and the nutrifix reconstructor. I'll stop using it for a long while because I forgot it made my hair feel like crap, then I'll somehow run out of conditioner and find an old bottle of it in the house and use it, it'll make my hair feel awesome, then the next time I use it my hair will feel like pure straw :ohwell:. My hair is very tempermental, lol.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

Any product that says "volume" will jack up my hair.

It strips all the moisture.

It's for yt hair, strictly, IMO.

Garnier, ever since I started mixing it 1:1 with moisture cons, and adding baking soda to get rid of buildup, I <<<33333 Garnier protein!! Without mixing, Garnier JACKS up my hair!!!

I have to have protein, but I have to use it right.

Your hair and my hair should get together and have a cup of tea, lol. They have a lot in common. Things that say volume jack up my hair, too. I used a product by Alberto VO5 that was a volumizing conditioner :nono:. Let's just say that didn't go to well. My hair hates the garnier sleek and shine leave-in conditioner, but it liked the one meant for curly hair, so I don't know what to make of that.

Aggie

Infusium 23 Moisturizing Conditioner left my hair feeling like straw and to make it worse, it even broke my hair off in these tiny little pieces all over the place. Never again will I use that conditioner:nono:. Total garbage for my fine hair but it was great on my niece's hair - she has thick, coarse hair.

myronnie

ORS Replenishing

I actually tried this conditioner twice. The first time, I left it on for about an hour with no heat and when I rinsed it out, I had hard hair! I was franicking about and it took me a while to condition it back to normal. The second time I used it, I did a quick condition with it and STILL hard hair!

♦K.O♦

Hello Hydration Shampoo & Conditioner. All it took was one hair disaster for me to know that I couldnt get on that bandwagon.

♦K.O♦

ORS Replenishing

I actually tried this conditioner twice. The first time, I left it on for about an hour with no heat and when I rinsed it out, I had hard hair! I was franicking about and it took me a while to condition it back to normal. The second time I used it, I did a quick condition with it and STILL hard hair!

Awww, really? ORS Replenishing is sacred to me. :grin:

Nice Lady

This thread has encouraged me not to get brand new and the product junkie in me is dead for now at least. Because I am gonna have be writing corporate offices and letting them know--they need to get up on improving stuff or else.

poookie

All of Burt's Bees products made my hair feel funny. Didn't work for DC treatments, rinse outs, or even dry hair moisturizers. I use them as shave creams now!

Luscious Locks

Phytokarite---- ugh! OOOOoooo Lord in heaven this conditioner wrecked my hair.

Do y'all remember the rope that we used to use for tug of war in gym class back in the day? That's what it made my hair feel like.

Garnier sucks on my hair too--- brittle hard, mess. Anything with a pH under 4.5 is just a no-no for my hair. It really roughs up my cuticle and zaps moisture out.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I give my failed conditioners to my brother. He wears his hair cut low, but likes to condition it anyway lol.

I'm surprised that so many women have problems with ORS replinishing paks. MY HAIR LOVES THAT STUFF.
I wish I had someone to give my "failed" products to:perplexed. My hair tolerates ORS too

Patricia

I remember using garnier leave in and I had to get that stuff out my hair fast. My hair didn't feel like my hair . yuck

Nice Lady

Phytokarite---- ugh! OOOOoooo Lord in heaven this conditioner wrecked my hair.

Do y'all remember the rope that we used to use for tug of war in gym class back in the day? That's what it made my hair feel like.

Garnier sucks on my hair too--- brittle hard, mess. Anything with a pH under 4.5 is just a no-no for my hair. It really roughs up my cuticle and zaps moisture out.

Lol.:lachen:

Nice Lady

I remember using garnier leave in and I had to get that stuff out my hair fast. My hair didn't feel like my hair . yuck

It has that crunchy and nasty effect on me too--I thought something was wrong with me. That and Giovanni Direct-Leave In--

I GIVE BOTH 20 THUMBS DOWN.:weird:

cmw45

The much raved about Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Let my hair rough. I think it was too much protein for my naps. I have been itching to try a new conditioner but my hair LOVES the Suave and V05 cheapies and if it ain't broke...

Neith

Nope, I never have.

Some conditioners leave my hair more moisturized than others, but never has my hair felt like straw from one.

I've tried MANY conditioners in all price ranges too. I even DC'd with suave milk and honey before with pretty good results. I may have to revisit that stuff actually.

My hair isn't too picky. I feel a little bit lucky! lol

ETA: I did have bad experiences with keracare humecto, motions moisture plus and motions silk protein... they irritate my scalp. On the hair they were all at least good enough to have my hair look/feel good though.

Last edited:

happylife

Anything by Pantene.............just AWFUL:ohwell:

Cosigning....
Not a fan of Pantene's conditioners at all. I thought it was just me because lots of people are. Guess this just speaks to the fact there is no cookie cut regi that works for everyone.

PaleoChick

Elasta QP DR-11
Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Garnier Fructis-tried them all
Aussie Moist-not
Pantene conditioners-even the pretty bronze ones
Most of the cholesterol creams as DCs didn't do squat...
Afroveda's deep conditioner
Shescentit Banana Brulee
ORS Replenishing Pac

RoundEyedGirl504

The cheapies -Suave, VO5, White Rain
Giovanni
Motions (Ugh!!)
ORS Paks
Keracare

My hair loves the Hello Hydration and most Herbal Essences stuff though!

shunta

Nexxus Humectress and Kenra Moisturizing left my hair a mess! I was surprised because those 2 products usually have rave reviews.

outspokenwallflower

No one conditioner has ever left it bad; some have done better jobs than others is all.

BUT--
I realized that when I mix 3 or more conditioners together, my hair feels kinda crappy. =[