Ever mixed garlic powder to your conditioner?

Adding Garlic Powder to conditioner...yay or nay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SherylsTresses

The PJ in me was thinking about purchasing some Alter Ego Garlic shampoo and conditioner. I didn't want to pay too much for it so I visited the International Farmers Market here in Memphis, TN and didn't see any garlic poo/cond. I asked a clerk for garlic oil or powder just to see what happens. He directed me to 100% pure garlic powder.

So I got home and started thinking, hmmm can I just add garlic to my conditioner. DH knows what I'm up to so he asked me to check the internet before I try anything crazy. Well guess what I found? Yep :yep: a garlic conditioner recipe with garlic powder. I haven't tried it yet b/c I'm wondering what you ladies think.

Read and tell me what you think.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Stinky Garlic Conditioner Update

Today is wash day. So what conditioner did i use today? The stinky garlic conditioner. Okay i know i'm gonna go around smelling like an Italian meal, but i don't care. This garlic conditioner is the bizness. It works so well that the smell(really stinky)is kool with me, now everybody else probably want to know wth smells like that, lol. As you may know by now, i have fine hair and it sheds like crazy, and i used just about everything to stop or cut down on the shedding, nothing worked. I tried aphogee,biolustre,hair fixer,etc.,etc., still shed, so a member of MyHairSistas (shameless plug, lol)suggested i try a garlic conditioner, at first i was like, no. It stinks, but she said it really works and the smell goes away. I did not want to buy another conditioner. I had already bought 15 cheapie conditioners (they were on sale for 79cents at rite aid), and 3 other conditioners, so one more was out, at least until next week, lol. Anyhoo i looked in my kitchen, cause i know i had some garlic throw up in there somewhere. I looked in the fridge and saw garlic bulbs, too much work to grind them up, nope. I looked in my cabinet, voila, garlic powder, ummm that might work. So i put 4 teaspoon of garlic together with vo5 strawberries and cream. This is my 3rd stinky garlic conditioner, it worked everytime. Just like the last two times, i put on the conditioner like i was applying a relaxer, put on my shower cap and wrapped a towel around my head for an hour this time. I rinsed, moisturized and sealed in 4 sections and air dried in a twist.
The Result? butter soft, moisturized no shed hair, yaaaaaaaaa conditioner, it really works !!!!

I didn't want to jump too fast and say how great this garlic treatment is in stopping shedding until i tried it a couple of times. It stopped my shedding first time i used it and it continues to work. I have used this treament a total of 3 times since the last post. This treatment will be one of my staples. Not only did this treatment stop the shedding, but it also stopped some of the breakage too. I have been putting off trying this because it thought the smell would be to much. Well it does not smell good (lol), but it is worth it. I am 6 weeks post and this is when i usually run into trouble with more shedding and breakage, so i said, hey it's about time i see if this garlic thing works. Yes it does.

Here is what I used (very simple):
1/2 bottle of vo5 strawberries and cream
4 teaspoons of garlic powder
let sit on my hair for 15 minutes
rinsed out with more vo5 strawberries and cream (my hair felt like butter)
detangled in 4 sections (no shedding or breaking)
added moisturizer in 4 sections
sealed with almond oil in 4 sections

Last edited:

jamaraa

Great plan. I'd dissolve the garlic powder 1st before adding it. It would probably be too gritty otherwise.

Last edited:

Kellum

I've added garlic infused olive oil in my conditioners before. It works great, I just had to co-wash after my DC to rid the smell.

jasminestar

I'm intrigued... I might be trying this next wash day.
Probably the worst that can happen is your hair won't smell too great.
I agree with jamaraa about dissolving the powder before adding it to the conditioner, it seems like it might be hard to wash out otherwise.

jamaraa

I've added garlic infused olive oil in my conditioners before. It works great, I just had to co-wash after my DC to rid the smell.

One very positive thing w/ garlic powder is that it smells far less than other forms of garlic. :grin:

fe6968

The PJ in me was thinking about purchasing some Alter Ego Garlic shampoo and conditioner. I didn't want to pay too much for it so I visited the local International Farmers Market here in Memphis, TN and didn't see any garlic poo/cond. I asked a clerk for garlic oil or powder just to see what happens. He directed me to 100% pure garlic powder.

So I got home and started thinking, hmmm can I just add garlic to my conditioner. DH knows what I'm up to so he asked me to check the internet before I try anything crazy. Well guess what I found? Yep :yep: a garlic conditioner recipe with garlic powder. I haven't tried it yet b/c I'm wondering what you ladies think.

Read and tell me what you think.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

http://finehairsistas.blogspot.com/2009/03/stinky-garlic-conditioner-update.html"]Stinky Garlic Conditioner Update[/URL]

Today is wash day. So what conditioner did i use today? The stinky garlic conditioner. Okay i know i'm gonna go around smelling like an Italian meal, but i don't care. This garlic conditioner is the bizness. It works so well that the smell(really stinky)is kool with me, now everybody else probably want to know wth smells like that, lol. As you may know by now, i have fine hair and it sheds like crazy, and i used just about everything to stop or cut down on the shedding, nothing worked. I tried aphogee,biolustre,hair fixer,etc.,etc., still shed, so a member of MyHairSistas (shameless plug, lol)suggested i try a garlic conditioner, at first i was like, no. It stinks, but she said it really works and the smell goes away. I did not want to buy another conditioner. I had already bought 15 cheapie conditioners (they were on sale for 79cents at rite aid), and 3 other conditioners, so one more was out, at least until next week, lol. Anyhoo i looked in my kitchen, cause i know i had some garlic throw up in there somewhere. I looked in the fridge and saw garlic bulbs, too much work to grind them up, nope. I looked in my cabinet, voila, garlic powder, ummm that might work. So i put 4 teaspoon of garlic together with vo5 strawberries and cream. This is my 3rd stinky garlic conditioner, it worked everytime. Just like the last two times, i put on the conditioner like i was applying a relaxer, put on my shower cap and wrapped a towel around my head for an hour this time. I rinsed, moisturized and sealed in 4 sections and air dried in a twist.
The Result?
butter soft, moisturized no shed hair, yaaaaaaaaa conditioner, it really works !!!!

I didn't want to jump too fast and say how great this garlic treatment is in stopping shedding until i tried it a couple of times. It stopped my shedding first time i used it and it continues to work. I have used this treament a total of 3 times since the last post. This treatment will be one of my staples. Not only did this treatment stop the shedding, but it also stopped some of the breakage too. I have been putting off trying this because it thought the smell would be to much. Well it does not smell good (lol), but it is worth it. I am 6 weeks post and this is when i usually run into trouble with more shedding and breakage, so i said, hey it's about time i see if this garlic thing works. Yes it does.

Here is what I used (very simple):
1/2 bottle of vo5 strawberries and cream
4 tablespoons of garlic powder
let sit on my hair for 15 minutes
rinsed out with more vo5 strawberries and cream (my hair felt like butter)
detangled in 4 sections (no shedding or breaking)
added moisturizer in 4 sections
sealed with almond oil in 4 sections
You might also like:​

Update On Garlic Conditioner

Relaxer Update !!

Garlic As A Hair Loss Remedy

Wow, this is my blog post, i guess you visited my blog :eek:) finehairsistas.blogspot.com

Last edited:

jamaraa

I have garlic capsules. Should I ingest them or will it be best to use on my hair topically

Ingest, IMHO....but you can try some topically to see how it works on immediate shedding. Garlic powder is a cheaper alternative for topical than caps. :grin: I'd take the caps and use the powder in my condish.

fe6968

Hey! :hiya: Get in here and tell us more. How often do you continue to use this recipe?

Hey SherylsTresses :eek:)

SherylsTresses

Hey SherylsTresses :eek:)

I'll do it on my next cowash also. :yep:

Last edited:

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Funny b/c I have some Alter Ego in my hair now along with some garlic oil:look:...Hey whatever works:lachen:

jamaraa

Creole and anyone else you can get garlic powder at the dollar store. Be sure to get powder and not garlic salt.

cmw45

Alter EGO Impact Ego with Garlic works for me but is pretty expensive. This would be a wonderful and cheap alternative.

Nubenap22

I wonder is it ok to mix garlic oil ( from the capsules) or garlic powder to Shescentit's Tea Tree condish ( protien)?

sheba1

I would definitely try this :yep: I already use a garlic and shikakai infused oil (homemade) to oil and scritch my scalp before cowash. I will defintely add the powder to DC days. The tips on LHCF have already thickened my fine hair dramatically. Can't wait to see what another year brings.