Have you Ever Had a Setback?

NappyGoddesse

havilland. AMEN to color!! Why can't we just stop?! The answer - go natural and then it may be better... this is what I'm telling myself.

ilah

Set back = Dry hair

I wanted to let my hair breath after my last install of micro braids. I've been wearing my hair in a bun 95% of the time and in a rollerset the other 5% - but my hair gets very dry and wirey two days after moisturising....

Normal?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Set back = Dry hair

I wanted to let my hair breath after my last install of micro braids. I've been wearing my hair in a bun 95% of the time and in a rollerset the other 5% - but my hair gets very dry and wirey two days after moisturising....

Normal?

HEY SIS
what's your moisturizer? Qhemets stays all week long:perplexed
others rave of Scurl & Carefree curl gold <-- i haven't jumped in there yet...wanting natural ingredients for hypersensitivity reasons
i ALSO HERE ROSEWATER IS ALL THE RAVE!!!!:grin:
R u cLARIFYING?

ANYBODY HAVE A TO DIE FOR MOISTURIZE THEY MIX THEMSELVES??

Optimus_Prime

In Nov 2009 I tried the maxiglide. I thought I'd detangled well, but the maxiglide's evil teefuses ate my hair! I proll would have been wl already if I'd never tried the maxiglide. :pyro:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

In Nov 2009 I tried the maxiglide. I thought I'd detangled well, but the maxiglide's evil teefuses ate my hair! I proll would have been wl already if I'd never tried the maxiglide. :pyro:

oh my
OM MY!!! I HONESTLY THOUGHT IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST OUT? GEEEZ LOUISE
I KNOW IT HAS A COPY CAT KINDA....STEAM IRON OUT NOW

WHAT HAPPENED WITH IT SPECIFICALLY?

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
my first setback was in 07 when i was relaxed and decided to flatiron my hair every day multiple times a day. :shocked: led to my first bc.

second setback in 08 when i relaxed i think 11 months after being natural. led to a transition and my second bc this year. ♥

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

my first setback was in 07 when i was relaxed and decided to flatiron my hair every day multiple times a day. :shocked: led to my first bc.

second setback in 08 when i relaxed i think 11 months after being natural. led to a transition and my second bc this year. ♥

I THINK I'M SWEARING OFF FLAT IRONS 4LIFE!!!! :blush:
your hair is fly azzzzz shyyte

Last edited:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
I THINK I'M SWEARING OFF FLAT IRONS 4LIFE!!!! :blush:
your hair is fly azzzzz shyyte

i don't think you necessarily have to swear off flatirons for healthy hair. i did a year long transition straightening my hair most of the time. i just made sure i used heat protectant spray and serum, and i never flatironed my hair for 'touchups'. now when i had that first setback, i knew nothing about heat protectant.

thanks for the compliment. ♥

fluffyforever

Set back = Dry hair

Normal?

Its normal for me. I wear buns every day in the summer for work. I moisturize on one day, and two days later I would have hard dry hair that starts to lightly mat together. I just figured my hair type needs attention every 2-3 days.

My setbacks happen when I allow my hair to stay matted in my buns and not wet my hair and braid it to keep it stretched at night. I get lazy, but I pay for it dearly. It takes 1-3 hours to detangle with conditioner. I lose so much hair in the process, my ends take a beating, and often break off when touched. Sometimes I would have to cut big knots out.:wallbash: I keep telling myself that i would never let my hair get so dry, but then I find my self 3-4 days later going through the same routine.

Hopefully that is all in the past. I have been on it with my HHJ for the last month and haven't had a setback since when I had to attend a lot of career fairs and campus interviews last spring semester.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Its normal for me. I wear buns every day in the summer for work. I moisturize on one day, and two days later I would have hard dry hair that starts to lightly mat together. I just figured my hair type needs attention every 2-3 days.

My setbacks happen when I allow my hair to stay matted in my buns and not wet my hair and braid it to keep it stretched at night. I get lazy, but I pay for it dearly. It takes 1-3 hours to detangle with conditioner. I lose so much hair in the process, my ends take a beating, and often break off when touched. Sometimes I would have to cut big knots out.:wallbash: I keep telling myself that i would never let my hair get so dry, but then I find my self 3-4 days later going through the same routine.

Hopefully that is all in the past. I have been on it with my HHJ for the last month and haven't had a setback since when I had to attend a lot of career fairs and campus interviews last spring semester.

do you walk around with the Jheri curl juice in your back pocket???

MelodicVessel

Setback #1 (2008): going to a stylist who had a twa but obviously (unbeknownst to me at the time) knew nothing about how to care for natural hair. I went to her twice. She fried it with the marcels (it looked great for a few weeks!) and gave me highlights. She lifted the color WAY too much and it damaged my hair. The highlighted pieces eventually broke off.

Setback #1 (2010): I wanted curls and had not yet perfected a rollerset on unrelaxed hair. I found my old gold 'n hot curling iron and did my thing. Turned that bad boy up to 9 or 10, had my Sabino, (previously washed and deep conditioned, of course). It was so pretty. The next day as I'm finger combing it, my hair was coming out by the handfuls. Currently, in about 7 -10 spots in my head, my hair is 1 - 3 inches long. I lost length and thickness. I threw that curling iron away. I will never use a non-ceramic curling iron ever again. I have since only used my flat iron one time (b/c I had a print job and they wanted straight hair.... hey, for $1000 for 2 hours of my time, I certainly will whip out the flat iron). Lesson learned.

It's growing back. I'm retaining it with healthy hair practices.

It's just hair! (that's what I tell myself to keep from sobbing uncontrollably)

MissMusic

Setback #1: When I was natural, let a stylist color my hair with a dark and lovely color, I didn't know how to take care of it, so it ended up dry and split to high heaven, so cut it back to TWA (loved my TWA). Shortly thereafter I learned how to take care of my natural hair and grew it to APL.

Setback #2: As a relaxed head, I had been self relaxing, but I decided I wanted a break so I went to a stylist for my touchup (Had MBL hair at the time). She ran out of the relaxer I brought with me when she reached the last part of my head (I never had to use more than one jar) and so she used a different brand to finish. She overlapped the two different relaxer's in the middle portion of my hair and it all broke off. I had to cut the damage hair to about two inches, I cut my MBL hair back to shoulder and I continued to cut my hair back to shoulder and maintain it there until my 2 inch hairs caught up with the rest.
Hair b4 setback:

Setback Hair:

Hair Today:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Setback #1: When I was natural, let a stylist color my hair with a dark and lovely color, I didn't know how to take care of it, so it ended up dry and split to high heaven, so cut it back to TWA (loved my TWA). Shortly thereafter I learned how to take care of my natural hair and grew it to APL.

Setback #2: As a relaxed head, I had been self relaxing, but I decided I wanted a break so I went to a stylist for my touchup (Had MBL hair at the time). She ran out of the relaxer I brought with me when she reached the last part of my head (I never had to use more than one jar) and so she used a different brand to finish. She overlapped the two different relaxer's in the middle portion of my hair and it all broke off. I had to cut the damage hair to about two inches, I cut my MBL hair back to shoulder and I continued to cut my hair back to shoulder and maintain it there until my 2 inch hairs caught up with the rest.
Hair b4 setback:

Setback Hair:

Hair Today:

I HOPE YOU'RE PLAYING
PLEASE TELL ME THIS "PROFESSIONAL" DIDN'T MIX TWO DIFFERENCE CHEMICAL BASES

bride91501

I'm too early in my LHHJ to have any setbacks yet, but I just wanted to say THANKS to you guys for all the info posted in this thread. This info will be so helpful to me and my 3 girls on our journey.

Thanks again!

Kimiche

My hair was on it's way to apl until I messed up and used too much MT. I ended up with protein overload. My hair started to break off a lot and I lost a lot of length. I kick myself to this day, because my hair was actually in the best condition that it was ever in.

I was being greedy by wanting longer hair fast instead of nurturing what I had, which was already nice. I could actually style my hair and feel good, but now I have a hard time styling my hair at this length, especially when the hard new growth comes in. It is almost at sl now, but we'll see what it is when I get my next touch up. Lesson Learned!!

LovelyNaps26

I BC'd in November of 2004 and even though I didn't know what I was doing I managed to grow my hair to a healthy SL by summer of 2007 ( i was actually SL since 2006 but was stuck). I really propelled my hair into a downfall by flat ironing my hair in July of 2007. I fried the life out of my hair by touching it up with my flat iron (at 450 degrees) twice a day :burning:. Needless to say the next time i washed my hair it looked like i was transitioning for 3 months, not 3 years natural. :nono:

I've come back from heat damage and now don't under estimate the power of heat.

BriDa5242

not trimming to begin with !!!!:wallbash: I was basically NURSING/Baggying my ends that were damaged now I don't find myself running my hands through my hair and seeing breakage :grin: also frequently rocking blowouts I realize my hair dries faster and no matter WHAT i use my hair absorbs it and gets dry again. so I cowash alot and find it works for me.:nono: I think its a once a month thing to do now. Great Post!

BriDa5242

also I forgot to add DOMINICAN SALONS!!!!!!!!! I use to go once a week because I got so many compliments and I thought "hey I'm natural I have stronger hair now that I don't have a relaxer" WRONG!!!. I actually remember getting my hair blown out then getting a trim and 2 weeks later a coworker stating "hey girl you need a trim your ends they are raggedy" and I thought WTF?????????? I just got one :nono:....never again and the hair stylist INSISTED on flat ironing my hair after the blow out with BABY BLISS on like 400 degrees or something ACTUALLY the flat iron had no temperature on it it was just FIRE:wallbash:...you live and your learn :rolleyes:

davisbr88

I got the idea to baggy my hair and it destroyed my ends. I had splits and mushiness out the wazoo. I had to cut at least an inch, but ended up making it a mini-chop and did 2 inches. This happened, I think, because I baggyed everyday without doing any protein treatments because I was afraid of protein-overload (little did I know that my hair actually loves protein and at least needs it once a week). I don't mess with baggying at all anymore and my hair has thrived wonderfully since then.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I got the idea to baggy my hair and it destroyed my ends. I had splits and mushiness out the wazoo. I had to cut at least an inch, but ended up making it a mini-chop and did 2 inches. This happened, I think, because I baggyed everyday without doing any protein treatments because I was afraid of protein-overload (little did I know that my hair actually loves protein and at least needs it once a week). I don't mess with baggying at all anymore and my hair has thrived wonderfully since then.

i never considered the mushy ends causing splits! i am obsessed with this steamer.... so i do thick i'm gonna have to up the protein

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I've had so many prior to my HHJ. I dyed my hair then relaxed it within days... microbraids ate my edges (twice, you would have thought i would have learned my lesson the first time). Then tea tree braids made my hair a tangled mess the second time. Then once i tried to transition with no knowledge of what to do and ended up relaxing a tangled mess... let's see what else? oh, just letting anybody do my hair (i'm about as picky as mother letting her child go on a first date - actually, that's a good analogy, because if you're going to feel my hair up with your hands, i need to know where those hands have been!!).

No, I've had no setbacks (as far as hair loss) since i started in February 2008. I feel like it hasn't grown any, but i think I have hair anorexia, so my statement could be very biased.

Now my hair is revolting the dye job that i did in February 2010. i think the color did a number on my texture and you can't even tell that i've not had a relaxer in over a year, it's half straight, half wavy, then there are some extra hairs sporadically that you just have the "WTF? OMG" face for. it's tragic, but i make do with it.

Shadiyah

I had a major, major set back in 2008. I was doing just fine all natrual but for some reason my hair did not seem it was not getting past shoulder length. 6 years went by and I knew something was wrong because my hair never takes that long to grow back from a cut. So I called myself going to give it some help and put a dry curl in...loved it but it started as chemicals always do breaking my hair off. Then to top it off I started using that dry shampoo on what was already very weak hair. I rub so much of my hair out that you could see through it. I just said oh well I will cut it all off. I took the hair clippers and took it all down to 1/4". I had to learn forreal what my hair likes and don't like. I had to learn that my hair does not like protien either...oh that was another thing I was doing was doing mega tek at the sametime as all above...
So now that I have found out what not to do to my hair it is thiving. I am about back to where I was before I cut it except that I grow in layers so I am not all one length like I was.