Have you Ever Had a Setback?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

EVER Had a MAJOR SETBACK during your HAIR JOURNEY?
PLEASE Do TELL!!!

whether you were RELAXED or NATURAL.....

Share the #1 reasons that you feel may have attributed to a major setback within your hair journey in order for others to learn & grow from our mistakes

:attention: :attention: :attention: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :bangdesk: :Run: :Run: :oops: :oops::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

much like my non-profit.... my motto has always been EACH 1 TEACH 1​

Last edited:

Ijanei

girl with every post u do, ur making me have it easy here. All I have to do is sit back and take all the responses in...:yep:

To answer ur question, I didnt really have a set-back just stunted hair growth:ohwell:

oh besides the time when I was younger and this girl was taking out my braids and cut off my hair in the process

Nixx22jam

Im goin through one right now.. grrrrrrr got my hair straightened yesterday. I think i need protein now. grrrrrrrrr absolutely no growth since last time cos it all broke off did i say GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Im goin through one right now.. grrrrrrr got my hair straightened yesterday. I think i need protein now. grrrrrrrrr absolutely no growth since last time cos it all broke off did i say GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE U JUICING? Y DO U SAY U NEED PROTEIN???
check out sunshyne's regimen on hairliciousinc

Nixx22jam

ARE U JUICING? Y DO U SAY U NEED PROTEIN???
check out sunshyne's regimen on hairliciousinc
my hair is just breaking off not holding no moisture. i tried to use acv and that worked for 1 day nxt day i tried to use ltr and hh hair msque hair was dry as a bone. How ever my hair is soft. Im so frustrated im willing to try anything

Nixx22jam

i did the wet test my hair doesnt snap off before stretched how ever it does break whilr dry sometimes whe stretched. ive noticed a lot of mid strand splits and np matter how i moisturize moisture doesnt stay in my hair.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

my hair is just breaking off not holding no moisture. i tried to use acv and that worked for 1 day nxt day i tried to use ltr and hh hair msque hair was dry as a bone. How ever my hair is soft. Im so frustrated im willing to try anything

i know tons of ladies will help you....but i would say IF U R CLARIFYING then make sure your pH BALANCE is in the target range in all of your products for a while....just to see if this helps
for some...it really makes a world of difference ....for others not as big of a visible change
GET U SOME ROUX POROSITY CONTROL if not already using each...go at it once a weak
TRY LIMITING CONES in your products for a while to see if you are cone sensitive<<< definitely can block water.... if u love cones, u have to clarify more often
think about getting a $100 steamer if you don't already have one...but i think tons of water for you young lady....maybe a multi vitamin and try to get your iron checked if possible ....low iron can cause all of those hair symptoms you've mentioned ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE ADDRESSING EVERYTHING ELSE OUTWARD
vitamins and ample water intake until u check with a doctor

Last edited:

nappystorm

Yes. Last year. A hating arse, ratchet arse, dumb arse, scissor happy arse, stank arse "beautician" hacked my hair giving me a "trim". I was a full BSB and she brought me up to an uneven SL so I had to cut it in a bob. I'm about CBL now. My tip: Learn how to self trim.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Yes. Last year. A hating arse, ratchet arse, dumb arse, scissor happy arse, stank arse "beautician" hacked my hair giving me a "trim". I was a full BSB and she brought me up to an uneven SL so I had to cut it in a bob. I'm about CBL now. My tip: Learn how to self trim.

so tell me how you really feel?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

one question tho?

how the freak did you LET that happen?

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
hey sis....are u on the west coast? or do you not sleep????
b/c between the 2 of us, one of us gotta get a man

lol actually i have a boo, he's sleeping right next to me actually :grin:. he works hard:look:

other than that, lhcf is my second love:spinning: and nobody is getting in the way of me and my late night hair chat.

nappystorm

one question tho?

how the freak did you LET that happen?
How she escaped a beat down is the better question.

Well, I told her I didn't get trims too often because of scissor happy beauticians. She assured me she wasn't and even pointed out beauticians who were.

She was cutting while I was turned away from the mirror and another chick was sweeping (behind my back) while she was cutting so I didn't see the amount of hair until a lock fell on my shoulder. My heart jumped but I didn't trip because I thought for sure that she may have given me layers (denial is the first stage). I asked her how much she was cutting because it looked kinda short. This **** replied "oh about an inch". I said "that looks like more than an inch". "Okay, an inch and a half, your hair still touches your back".

The entire story is in my blog. Pics in fotki:sad:

ms.blue

The only setbacks i have, is when I can't leave the scissors alone!!:freakout:
other then that, im cool:giggle:

Ditto for me also. My major setback cause me to go on a hhj. I had a small setback in late april when I went to a dominican salon for a blow out.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

Well, I told her I didn't get trims too often because of scissor happy beauticians. She assured me she wasn't and even pointed out beauticians who were.

She was cutting while I was turned away from the mirror and another chick was sweeping (behind my back) while she was cutting so I didn't see the amount of hair until a lock fell on my shoulder. My heart jumped but I didn't trip because I thought for sure that she may have given me layers (denial is the first stage). I asked her how much she was cutting because it looked kinda short. This **** replied "oh about an inch". I said "that looks like more than an inch". "Okay, an inch and a half, your hair still touches your back".

Dammmmm!!! i would've drop kicked her in her jaw! no, who am i kiddin. i would have done worse then that!!!!!! id be crying while smacking her faceeeeee!!!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.

nah, but still you LET her a$$ slide? if this EVER happend to me, lhcf's gonna know about it!!! cuz ill be on the news THAT NIGHT!!

nappystorm

Dammmmm!!! i would've drop kicked her in her jaw! no, who am i kiddin. i would have done worse then that!!!!!! id be crying while smacking her faceeeeee!!!

nah, but still you LET her a$$ slide? if this EVER happend to me, lhcf's gonna know about it!!! cuz ill be on the news THAT NIGHT!!

I'm not uber religous but I honestly think the holy spirit entered my body and kept me calm. :yep:That is the ONLY reasonable explanation. Or maybe she's the religous one and something kept her safe. IDK.
Something kept saying, "it's just hair...you can't afford to sit in jail over hair...it will grow back...now you can get the bob you've been wanting..."
It sure wasn't me because I wanna beat her tail every time I think about it.
I didn't even ask for a trim! She "threw it in free":rolleyes:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I'm not uber religous but I honestly think the holy spirit entered my body and kept me calm. :yep:That is the ONLY reasonable explanation. Or maybe she's the religous one and something kept her safe. IDK.
Something kept saying, "it's just hair...you can't afford to sit in jail over hair...it will grow back...now you can get the bob you've been wanting..."
It sure wasn't me because I wanna beat her tail every time I think about it.
I didn't even ask for a trim! She "threw it in free":rolleyes:

of COURSE that skank, "threw it in free" im sorry, but this just makes me so mad:wallbash:.

i could never sit in a stylist's chair and not watch her EVERY move.:nono:

are you a DIY'er now?

nappystorm

of COURSE that skank, "threw it in free" im sorry, but this just makes me so mad:wallbash:.

i could never sit in a stylist's chair and not watch her EVERY move.:nono:

are you a DIY'er now?
Yes. I've always been a DIY anyway except for braids, dye jobs and cuts. I used to do my own trims in hs and college but I got lazy over the years. Never again.

BostonMaria

Set backs while my hair was relaxed: Relying on salons on a weekly basis, overlapping relaxers, dying damaged hair, not taking care of my ends, no protective styles, allowing stylists to cut all of my progress, and using curling irons almost every day.

Set backs with natural hair: None. I attribute this to being a DIY'er and healthly hair practices.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Don't recall my natural days so can't comment there. As being relaxed, I have 2 setbacks that I truly recall. (1) In 2006, I was on business travel for 6 weeks and decided to get braids to hold me over until I return home. Returned home, took braids out and relied on my stylist to detangle my hair. She was snatching on my head something serious and a lot of my hair broke and had to get several inches cut. That alone was the turning point I went from BSL to SL. (2) I recovered, hair was pretty much back healthy and grazing BSL, then my hubs had some medical issues in 2008 and stress did a number on me. Right now I'm APL/BSB.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

nixx22jam
maybe nix those vitamins except a multi to see what a doc says?
u mentioned hair journey as the start....back up to pre journey days
pause any new additions to your routine

Last edited:

Nixx22jam

i know tons of ladies will help you....but i would say IF U R CLARIFYING then make sure your pH BALANCE is in the target range in all of your products for a while....just to see if this helps
for some...it really makes a world of difference ....for others not as big of a visible change
GET U SOME ROUX POROSITY CONTROL if not already using each...go at it once a weak
TRY LIMITING CONES in your products for a while to see if you are cone sensitive<<< definitely can block water.... if u love cones, u have to clarify more often
think about getting a $100 steamer if you don't already have one...but i think tons of water for you young lady....maybe a multi vitamin and try to get your iron checked if possible ....low iron can cause all of those hair symptoms you've mentioned ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE ADDRESSING EVERYTHING ELSE OUTWARD
vitamins and ample water intake until u check with a doctor

I take a multi vitamin i take my vitamic c my cod live oil tablets msm and biotin almost everyday also i drink lots of water asmuch as i can take. I might have to get the roux porosity but ive damn near given up im so disheartened. Thanks for the advice. owever my hair ws growing perfectly fine before i started all this hhj and started putting all this stuff into it. and my body is waay healthier than it was then.

Curlykale

Oh YEAH. lol.
I am natural.

1) that time when I mixed brahmi and yoghurt and left it in my hair for 2 hours. It was crazy. It got SO tangled and I had to use 1 FULL tresemme bottle just to co-wash. Then I deep conditioned NON STOP FOR 3 DAYS and it started to go back to normal, but it took me about 1 month. I then found out that I don't have to use ayurvedic powders, nor yoghurt.

2) I clarified with lemon juice diluited in water. It literally bleached my hair.

3) I decided to mix 3 ubermoisturizing deep conditioners + oils and deep condition for 1 afternoon + 1 night. I have started to use protein since then. I had to. My hair was MELTING. lol Prior to that my hair was protein sensitive, now I need protein treatment every once in a while.

4) I used my denman like a weapon under the shower, I got overexcited because I was doing an oil rinse and I had no tangles. Well, my hair is very strong but I got breakage.