Has your SO/BF/close male friend ever made you feel...

virgo_chinwe

Made you feel like your (short) hair was the missing link to the totality of your beauty?

Beware extra long post:

Let me elucidate my reason for posting this. Lately I has occurred to me that black women who wear no weaves/wigs/extensions and their own hair is of considerable length (shoulder length and beyond) have become the next best thing to hit up the block since the discovery of white females with booty. All of a sudden I have finally grasped a hold of the average black man’s standard of beauty. Physically they want someone who is naturally beautiful. And long, healthy hair is a good indicator of how black women maintain themselves. But if you have ever been in the same room when a group of guys are watching a Beyonce, Janet Jackson, or Cassie video from their comments you can tell that most of the men set the standard of other women based on these stars but the majority of these women wear some form of a hair piece whenever on TV! It seems seems extremely unfair to be scrutinized about my hair being real when these women have hair stylists to make their hair appear real (most men have no idea of this).

My rant is obviously inspired by a close male friend I have feelings for. Let me give you a little background about him. All the past females he has held romantic relationships with have been mixed with African American heritage and another non-black ethnicity or Hispanic. And whenever he speaks of them he always seems to mention what qualities he liked about them specifically their hair. Ladies, lets be real these girls definitely do not have no 4a/4b hair, you feel me? And once he gets on the hair topic…my hair automatically becomes the issue and the intense inspection of my hair begins. The puzzled expression that most white people get when they want to ask you---“How did you get your hair like that or is your hair real” appears on his face. Then the questions begin, “How come I have never seen your real hair? I don’t feel like I can see the real you beyond your hair extensions (a wig that I choose to wear for variety and with my real hair I keep up a low maintenance upkeep with daily moisturizing and weekly washing/conditioning). I usually ignore him and excuse his ignorance b/c his sister never wears weaves but a couple days ago he said something that really pissed me off.

Days prior to the incident I had helped him take down his cornrows and as he was combing knots out of his hair I noticed he was having a lot of breakage and it was a surprise to me that he even retained length, but I didn’t say anything then 1) because he takes a lot of pride in the fact that he “thinks” his hair is longer than most black females 2) he feels blessed that his hair is not “too African” 3) females on campus on help his hair ego by calling him the black guy with long hair. His hair is about shoulder length and besides excessive breakage he also suffers from major anorexia issues (his hair is super, sickly thin when pressed). (Please keep in mind that he basically has his hair in cornrows all year round and ONLY washes it when he’s ready to take it down which is about every 6 weeks and receives a press afterwards and he works out on the regular). A couple days later, I see him messing with his hair in the bathroom and I recommend a protein treatment 1) to stop breakage 2) add thickness. He blatantly tells me that he doesn’t trust me with his hair because he has never seen mine. At first, I wanted to cuss him out but I am guilty of the same---I hardly take LHCFers advice for all its worth if I have not seen progress pics. But I think what really hurts most is the fact that I know that (and he has made comments insinuating) that I do not know how to take care of my hair. He has become the driving force for me to grow my black African healthy, thick, long and strong to prove him wrong.

So ladies give me your input? What have you done in situations like this?

tnorenberg

Wow....Sounds like he has quite an Ego if you don't mind me saying. But it's not just black men. And you are correct...the TV has a lot to do with it. When my hair was longer I was pretty much a "beauty target" of men of all different nationalities: Black, White, Iranian, Jewish, Ethiopian, Puerto Rican, German...you name it. They equate beauty with what they se over and over on TV...ie: the Beyonce's and like with Tan/Brown/Dark skin and long flowing hair. They think the look is sexy and exotic. That is what is broadcasted across the world about black women. Not only that, but like they all have a chance in hell at getting with us since everything they see in TV is also ensenuating sexual promiscuity too. Wrong!!! Don't take his words to heart. Sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do.

Qetesh

He obviously has some hair issues himself to be happy that his hair is less African. I would just ask him why he feels hair needs to be long and straight in order to be beautiful and healthy. I would ask him if he seriously must feel the need to conform to the European standards for beauty. He is most likely brainwashed into too much BET and it’s got his standards all twisted.

With that being said he may seriously want to see your hair, and maybe that’s why he is being so offensive with you when it comes to it because he feels like you do not trust him enough to show him all of you.

It’s funny because my fiancée has 4b coarse hair and I am somewhere between 3b-4a and he always teases me about my hair, he pretty much makes me feel like it is not African enough for him. But the funny thing is I have darker skin than him so I will just comment on his lightness when he makes a comment about my hair being too “white”. Overall I think this is us just playing around.

In general I would say men have messed up hair standards because of my hair length and texture I am asked what ethnicity I am a lot, one guy at work has asked me 3 times like somehow my answer is going to change from black??? I think men just don’t know a thing about hair care and for the most part black women don’t either so all comments need to be taken with a grain of salt.

HoneyDew

Well I feel lucky to have a man in my life that that I am beautiful and sexy with long or short hair. Actually he is the one that has made me feel more confident about choosing not to wear weaves and braids and just love my hair for what it is. :kiss:

Ntrlmystik

Frankly, all the males in my life had an issue w/ my hair. From family to friends to so's and even one of my hairdressers! All I kept hearing is that "you look like an african". (Hello...I am Black!) ...and it was never implied that it was a good thing to them. There always been (and its probably at its worse now) that beauty is generally only on one side of the spectrum. I find it foolish but I respect that opinion and just think to myself if thats what they like, then they don't like me and thats cool. However, now many of those same males are like wow "that look really suits you" or they start playing in my hair. There was a guy that I was dating that literally stopped talking to me after I bc'd. He never admitted it but recently he did. When he met me my hair was relaxed and midback but a few months later, I cut it all off so he said it was "false advertising" WHATEVER! This is not the same situation as you but this is just to say people w/ have their attitudes and that is all they will have b/c I don't have time for it...so I suggest that you dont' waste any of yours being bothered by someone elses opinion if they cannot appreciate you...find someone that does...and there are many that do!

Last edited:

virgo_chinwe

Thanks ladies for all your words and sharing your experiences! I don't want to conceively the friend in a bad light..but this issue always seems to reoccuring btw us but all other aspects we are cool on....*shrug* and I hate to lose a friendship and something more over this stupid hair issue!