Has Ayurveda methods/products changed your hair texture?

kiesha8185

I know that is has changed mine, for a fact. It added so much texture in my hair, that it doesn't even look relaxed anymore. It's only been 3 weeks since I've had my relaxer, and my hair is so big. Like, it's not only new growth, but my whole head. My hair now resembles either texlaxed/natural hair. I can’t comb my hair anymore, I have to brush it. I really don't know what's going on. I honestly don’t know if I should be concerned or not.

I really don't want to sound as if I'm complaining about something good, which I'm definitely very grateful that my hair is on a healthy road. (It's actually making me want to transition even more.) The only thing is, is that I don't know how to deal with this new texture now?? I really don't know how to explain it, but my hair doesn't "fall" the way it used to. It's getting kind of frustrating because the things I used to do to my hair isn't cutting it anymore. My hair would always air dry straight after I air dried with my silk scarf. Now it looks like a big puff. Oh, and it takes forever to airdry, almost two full days. Is this normal????? It used to be fully dry in 3-4 hours.

Has this happened to any of you, and changed your texture drastically and is this permanent? Any relaxed ladies experiencing changes in their hair, or is it just me?

ETA: For those of you on the fence about Ayurveda, I hope this doesn't scare you off! I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. On the bright side, my hair in general has changed in sooo many ways. My hair air dries moisturized, soft, and shiny with no product. I hardly get breakage anymore and my shedding has reduced by about 95%. I usually shed between 30-50 hairs a week. (I only wash/comb my hair once a week.) Now I only shed about 5-10 hairs a week. It's much thicker and has lots of volume.

This is just a little frustrating, making me wonder if I should stop using these things or not. Now if I can only figure out what the heck to do with my hair so I can go out in public looking decent, it's just not ACTIN RIGHT :wallbash: I'll see if I can post some pics soon, but my hair definitely does not look ANYTHING like my siggy anymore :nono:

What is ur reggie and what are u using?

One thing I have found is that i cant use alot of amla powder to often or too much of it at a time because that does promote texture I mean alot of texture in my hair, more curl, puffiness, volume to the point if I do a roller set it looked like a puffy roller set:ohwell:, and I did have to be more delicate combing to cuz it can tangle my hair so I cut back on that quick many months ago.
Ive learn to only use a teaspoon if I use the powder. I like amla oil better cuz it doesnt give me tangles but I still have to use alittle or ill have a big puff on my head

No, I haven't noticed...but I am natural. I actually hope I get my puff back, I have flat-ironing way too much!

No, I haven't noticed...but I am natural. I actually hope I get my puff back, I have flat-ironing way too much!
Sorry to hi-jack the thread b/c this is OT, but aja1121, that hair in your avatar is gorgeous girl!! I really like that style and color, it's very pretty:yep:

On another note though, I'm going shopping a few indian stores later on this week to see what goodies I can find. I've been hearing way too many good things about ayurveda and I'm sold, so I'm going shopping to see if I can find some good stuff. If not, I guess I'll just have to order online. However, I'm not worried about textures changing though. I'm still in my transitioning phase, so it won't bother me:nono: I actually look forward to it. My hair is wavy/curly at the roots anyway, so I don't mind. It will just mean that I'll have an even more difficult time pressing my hair out!!:wallbash:

I would have to agree with you, I used henna and alma powder last night for my henna gloss. I used three heaping tablespoons of each and I think I had more volume and waves in my hair than I have ever seen before. I am happy with it because I have fine hair. I will continue to use the same measurements for future henna glosses.:yep:

The same is happening to my texture as well. My hair airdries so much thicker now but I am completely happy with it. This may be stupid, but I'm wondering if the thickness disappears if the usage stops? Just a thought.

I am totally happy with the texture, thickness and strength of my fine strands have increased in thickness and volume. bonjour

Henna makes my hair straighter, amla restores the curliness, I haven't seen any changes with shikakai, but I haven't been using it that much.

I know that is has changed mine, for a fact. It added so much texture in my hair, that it doesn't even look relaxed anymore. It's only been 3 weeks since I've had my relaxer, and my hair is so big. Like, it's not only new growth, but my whole head. My hair now resembles either texlaxed/natural hair. I can’t comb my hair anymore, I have to brush it. I really don't know what's going on. I honestly don’t know if I should be concerned or not.

I really don't want to sound as if I'm complaining about something good, which I'm definitely very grateful that my hair is on a healthy road. (It's actually making me want to transition even more.) The only thing is, is that I don't know how to deal with this new texture now?? I really don't know how to explain it, but my hair doesn't "fall" the way it used to. It's getting kind of frustrating because the things I used to do to my hair isn't cutting it anymore. My hair would always air dry straight after I air dried with my silk scarf. Now it looks like a big puff. Oh, and it takes forever to airdry, almost two full days. Is this normal????? It used to be fully dry in 3-4 hours.

Has this happened to any of you, and changed your texture drastically and is this permanent? Any relaxed ladies experiencing changes in their hair, or is it just me?

ETA: For those of you on the fence about Ayurveda, I hope this doesn't scare you off! I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. On the bright side, my hair in general has changed in sooo many ways. My hair air dries moisturized, soft, and shiny with no product. I hardly get breakage anymore and my shedding has reduced by about 95%. I usually shed between 30-50 hairs a week. (I only wash/comb my hair once a week.) Now I only shed about 5-10 hairs a week. It's much thicker and has lots of volume.

This is just a little frustrating, making me wonder if I should stop using these things or not. Now if I can only figure out what the heck to do with my hair so I can go out in public looking decent, it's just not ACTIN RIGHT :wallbash: I'll see if I can post some pics soon, but my hair definitely does not look ANYTHING like my siggy anymore :nono:

:perplexed:perplexed Really? :perplexed:perplexed

Really???

One thing I have found is that i cant use alot of amla powder to often or too much of it at a time because that does promote texture I mean alot of texture in my hair, more curl, puffiness, volume to the point if I do a roller set it looked like a puffy roller set:ohwell:, and I did have to be more delicate combing to cuz it can tangle my hair so I cut back on that quick many months ago.
Ive learn to only use a teaspoon if I use the powder. I like amla oil better cuz it doesnt give me tangles but I still have to use alittle or ill have a big puff on my head

Same thing happened to me this weekend. If you see in my fotki pic (when I was doing my Shikakai/Amla mix), my hair got bigger and bigger... It was crazy!

When I first started using henna/amla, my hair got coilier...then I started noticing less bulk in my hair so I don't know what's going on.

It's temporary. It'll gradually return if you stop using the herbs. Mine usually takes a few months to go home tho.

Last edited:
I was just commenting this morning that I'm 6 weeks post relaxer and I feel like I need a touch up! I've been using the shikakai bar on my hair, and amla as a prepoo and daily hair oil (sometimes switch with coconut oil). I have noticed that I have lil hairs around my hairline that weren't there before. I like that my hairline seems like its improving, but I hope my hairline doesn't go into my eyebrows!:look:

My hair texture has changed, it was always thick,however it is so shiny, black and straight. A lady at my job asked me if i had Indian in me! We never discussed anything pertaining to hair. It is definetely a keeper!!!

I feel so much better after reading these replies...I thought I was going mad :spinning:

Here's my reggie:

1. Apply oils to dry hair for an hour to overnight.
2. Apply wash mixture to oiled hair.

Wash Mixture (I make a big batch before-hand, SO much easier!):
  • Mix all these powders: henna, indigo, amla, shikakai, neem, ritha
  • Mix 1 cup hibiscus oil (I soaked some hibiscus flowers/leaves in coconut oil)
  • Mix the 3 cups of the oils from step 1.
  • Mix 4-5 cups of water.
3. Pour this mixture over my hair saturated with the oil for 45 minutes.
4. Rinse for 5 minutes with hot water.
5. Deep condition and airdry.

So it must be the amla. I may be a little heavy-handed with it :look: Since I've learned that amla promote growth, darker hair, and conditioning, I added 3 heaping tablespoons to my most recent batch :lachen:So that's why! Maybe I can dilute it with some more water and oil.

I am going to start making my own oils from shikakai and amla powders instead of using that mineral oil-laden stuff. I'm not seeing any negative results from it, but if I'm gonna start using natural products, might as well go all the way!

I am going to start making my own oils from shikakai and amla powders instead of using that mineral oil-laden stuff. I'm not seeing any negative results from it, but if I'm gonna start using natural products, might as well go all the way!

This is what I want to do too. I just pre-poo'd with that "mineral oil laden stuff" and then I used the Shikakai Shampoo bar and I don't have any problems with it but something about the fact that it has the mineral oil is turning me off. How are you planning on making your shikakai oil? Does someone on here have a recipe?

I would have to agree with you, I used henna and alma powder last night for my henna gloss. I used three heaping tablespoons of each and I think I had more volume and waves in my hair than I have ever seen before. I am happy with it because I have fine hair. I will continue to use the same measurements for future henna glosses.:yep:

That's good, it's good that you're loving the extra body/volume. I do too (I also have fine hair), but I think I need to tone down the amla so I can enjoy the volume/body without the puffiness.

MoMo and Mahalialee4:

I’m lovin the thickness, too! I just wish it came without the change in my texture :ohwell:

Another drawback is that I wanted to enjoy my straight hair for at least a month, and trying to figure out what to do with my hair yesterday was a disaster cuz I looked like I had a low fro. :lachen: Now that I think about it, it’s kinda funny, but I woke up like :antlers::perplexed :wallbash:

I figure I'll just work with it and wear some braid outs or something.

Really???

Same thing happened to me this weekend. If you see in my fotki pic (when I was doing my Shikakai/Amla mix), my hair got bigger and bigger... It was crazy!

Hey girl! I will be off to stalk your fotki momentarily :look::grin:

This reminds of the first time I ever used henna. Oh my, talk about disaster! My hair was so darn big that I couldn't figure what to do with it, and couldn't go to class.

How do you like Ayurveda so far? What changes have you seen in your hair?

I was just commenting this morning that I'm 6 weeks post relaxer and I feel like I need a touch up! I've been using the shikakai bar on my hair, and amla as a prepoo and daily hair oil (sometimes switch with coconut oil). I have noticed that I have lil hairs around my hairline that weren't there before. I like that my hairline seems like its improving, but I hope my hairline doesn't go into my eyebrows!:look:

:lachen:

I would like if that happened to me, I could use a little less forehead :drunk:

I feel you on the growth.

Here is a pic of my hairline 2 weeks ago:

Here is my hairline taken last night:

So it's making my hair grow faster, for real! And this is the straightest my hair can get without heat now :wallbash: The above pic is how it usually dries.

I was wondering the same thing.
My stylist textlax'd my hair too straight but after using my Shikakai Shampoo bar 4 times it's perfectly textured. And my previously bone straight hair is more poofy.

So I'm thinking that I'll be using my Shikakai Shampoo bar every other week instead. I love it because I have experienced no shedding and my hair is def stronger.

I feel so much better after reading these replies...I thought I was going mad :spinning:

Here's my reggie:

1. Apply oils to dry hair for an hour to overnight.
2. Apply wash mixture to oiled hair.

Wash Mixture (I make a big batch before-hand, SO much easier!):
  • Mix all these powders: henna, indigo, amla, shikakai, neem, ritha
  • Mix 1 cup hibiscus oil (I soaked some hibiscus flowers/leaves in coconut oil)
  • Mix the 3 cups of the oils from step 1.
  • Mix 4-5 cups of water.
3. Pour this mixture over my hair saturated with the oil for 45 minutes.
4. Rinse for 5 minutes with hot water.
5. Deep condition and airdry.

So it must be the amla. I may be a little heavy-handed with it :look: Since I've learned that amla promote growth, darker hair, and conditioning, I added 3 heaping tablespoons to my most recent batch :lachen:So that's why! Maybe I can dilute it with some more water and oil.

Whoa 3 TB amla ...yeah my hair would be maximum puff:lol:

I started making my oils too I cant take mineral oil on my hair or scalp so yeah U can always use the amla in ur herbal oil fusion for the growth part and u can use it on the hair itself.

I never tried hibiscus oil that sounds interresting.... I use hibiscus powder and I sure do love it, I love any herb that makes mucilage and its so conditioning

teaspoons are a better measurement of the powders. the max of any powder should be 3 teaspoons to an oversized JUG

I have only tried the Aritha powder and the first thing I noticed was that my hair was thicker and STRONGER which was exciting because my hair had thinned out so much after my second child.

After the second use, my hair was even bigger. Instead of the anorexic bun I was sporting it's alot more fuller. No complaints here!

Keisha, I was wondering if you were still happy with the Ayurveda method. I'm considering using these products. Thanks in Advance:yawn:

how often are u gurls using these powders that it would change texture??

I didn't start mine yet but now i'm thinking i should only use them once a month after reading these posts:perplexed

Back