Has your hair texture changed?

sareca

I know this is a sensitive issue, but I'm positive that somewhere around Thanksgiving my hair texture changed back to the way it was when I was little (according to my mother).

How many of ya'll have noticed a change in your texture since starting your hair journey and what do you think did it?

I think the MSM and better haircare products did it for me.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair is more curlier than I remember since using MSM. My mom relaxed me when I was really young, so I'm not too sure how much my texture has changed.:ohwell:

ravenmerlita

Mine changed -- a lot. I'm really perplexed about it too. The last time I was home for the holidays my mother asked what was in my hair and commented that it wasn't this texture when I was young.

I now wash/conditioner wash every day and use much better products. I also rarely use heat, try to avoid alcohol in hair products and not manipulate my hair as much. I now think that my hair was seriously dry most of my life and I just didn't know.

I had been stretching a texturizer, but with the "new" texture of my hair, it didn't make any sense to texturize again (the last time was 5 months ago). My hair at the root is straighter and shinier than the texturized hair and dries flatter after I wash it.

I take MSM and biotin too, though not as regularly as I used to. I also wonder if age could be causing a change in my hair?

Nanyanika

before i began msm my texture was gradually changing, to how it was when i was a in little to my teenage years. since taking MSM/silica it is much softer, my hair was soo brittle during the first year of my transition but it is completely different now. Sareca how much msm do you take daily and when did you start taking it?

Isis

Sounds like everyone is experiencing this because of MSM. I haven't tried MSM, not sure if I will but it's interesting reading about the results.

baglady215

Mine has changed and I don't know why. I used to be a straight up and down 4b. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's everwhere. Now my new growth is coming in as 4a... tiny spirals. I don't know why. I'm not on a vitamin regimen or anything. Very strange to me.

angellazette

When I first attempted transitioning for five months, my hair was verrrrrry dry, brittle, couldn't get to the scalp or anything...I was still a 4a, just a dry one. This time around, that is not a problem.

I remember using a couple of different products but I just say it's because I'm taking better care of it. Better techniques, using only what's needed...focusing on moisture. I don't take any supplements either.

sareca

ravenmerlita said:
Mine changed -- a lot. I'm really perplexed about it too. The last time I was home for the holidays my mother asked what was in my hair and commented that it wasn't this texture when I was young.

I now wash/conditioner wash every day and use much better products. I also rarely use heat, try to avoid alcohol in hair products and not manipulate my hair as much. I now think that my hair was seriously dry most of my life and I just didn't know.

I had been stretching a texturizer, but with the "new" texture of my hair, it didn't make any sense to texturize again (the last time was 5 months ago). My hair at the root is straighter and shinier than the texturized hair and dries flatter after I wash it.

I take MSM and biotin too, though not as regularly as I used to. I also wonder if age could be causing a change in my hair?

Your experience is almost identical to mine. :eek: :cool: I also think my hair was just very dry and neglected and that I didn't have enough sulfur (MSM) in my diet. I avoid alcohol in my hair products too. I also avoid silicone. But unlike you, my new growth doesn't rollerset straight so I need my texturizers. :lol: But at this point, I actually prefer my natural hair texture, in wash and wear styles, over the texturized curls. What the world?! :ohwell:

sareca

Isis said:
Sounds like everyone is experiencing this because of MSM. I haven't tried MSM, not sure if I will but it's interesting reading about the results.

Yeah, I see that too. I also think it has something to do with your hair texture when you were young. I think MSM can help you get back the hair you had before, but I don't think it will change your texture into something it has never been. Ya know.

Dang, I should have made a poll.

sareca

den1 said:
before i began msm my texture was gradually changing, to how it was when i was a in little to my teenage years. since taking MSM/silica it is much softer, my hair was soo brittle during the first year of my transition but it is completely different now. Sareca how much msm do you take daily and when did you start taking it?

I started in October 2005. It only took a month or so. My hair was braided at the time, but when I took the braids out I was like What!? :eek:

I only take it about 3X a week now (I'm not good about taking pills). But it's GNC brand, 1000 mgs and I take two. But when the change happened I was taking 2, 1000 mg capsules a day. The weirdest part is my hair is still changing. I don't know what's causing it now. :confused:

Nanyanika

sareca said:
I started in October 2005. It only took a month or so. My hair was braided at the time, but when I took the braids out I was like What!? :eek:

I only take it about 3X a week now (I'm not good about taking pills). But it's GNC brand, 1000 mgs and I take two. But when the change happened I was taking 2, 1000 mg capsules a day. The weirdest part is my hair is still changing. I don't know what's causing it now. :confused:
Thanks for responding..I think takes time for the msm to leave the system so the hair will contune to grow softer. Judging by my hair it is looks very familar to how it grew in when i was in my teens, i think if we ate a sulfur rich diet.. chicken, eggs, fruit etc the hair would be just as healthy and soft without dry/brittleness. i'm so bad with eating healthiy that is why i take vitamins for my health msm has helped me in so many ways other than hair.

sareca

Hey ya'll, here's some good info about MSM http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements...r_products.htm.

sugarose

My texture has changed a lot. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that in the very back right above my nape, I have some 3a curls. I don't remember my curls being so loose in the back. Also, last night I washed my hair and didnt comb it straight or anything (I am stretching and have about 2" of growth) and I noticed in the front on the right side, my curls are loose like in the back. I think the more my hair grows out the more I'll see those 3a'ish curls.

sowhut

Mine has for sure. I'm guessing its the MSM. I was stretching for 10-12 weeks prior to LHCF and now Im stretching for 14-20 weeks. I think its probably a sensitive subject to those who have not experienced it. They probably think we're all hallucinating:lol: .

BrooklynSouth

Not discounting the supplements but.........I'm thinking.....could it be we've stopped fearing the addition of water:bath2: and moisturizers to our hair?

glamazon386

I think mines changed when I went through puberty. The texture my natural hair is now is not the texture it was before my mother relaxed it. She relaxed my hair when I was 5 or 6 years old. One of my cousin's said the same thing happened to her when she hit puberty. Maybe it was the hormones? And of course better care. I'm not taking any supplements and it seems the more my hair grows out the more different it starts to look.

beana

I think healthier haircare practices can reveal what our *true* hair texture is. Eating a balanced diet, excercise, going back to weekly deep conditionings has definitely changed the appearance of my new growth... however i think the texture i was accustomed to was mistreated hair.. what i see now is healthier and what my hair is supposed to look like.

sareca

Hey! I remember this thread. My hair texture is still the same. So far (almost 2 years) the change has been permanent.

septemberbaby

I'm not taking any supplements but I do notice that my hair is a lot more softer and managable now that I take better care of it (weekly washing, deep conditioning with every wash, co-washes, daily moisturizing, etc.) So I'm not if that has anything to do with texture. I notice that my ng is coily, spiral curls now. (does that make me a 4a?)

Now at 5 weeks post relaxer & rollerset, I can run my fingers through my hair. (thank ya Silicon Mix!) Prior to LHCF, I would be making my retouch appointment for this coming Tuesday because it hurt touch my ng. :lol:

Also, my hair is not as dark as I thought it was. I guess I had so much product build-up, I thought it was very dark. :perplexed It's actually light brown.