My hair texture has changed

BostonMaria

My hair is much looser than it was just a year ago. It has more waves now, still curls at the ends though. I think its because my hair is longer and the layers are catching up to my ends.

I am debating on whether to get a curly hair cut or not. I really love the length, but miss how it used to look.

Attachments

• Dsc09527.jpg
    Dsc09527.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 115
  • curly.JPG
    curly.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Jan2.jpg
    Jan2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 115

SEMO

I think that as the hair grows and gets heavier it definitely makes it appear that your hair is changing texture (b/c the curls are weighted down). I found this to be true with my own hair. Especially after I had a cut earlier this year and lost a lot of the weight to my hair. The curls appeared very different afterward.

godsflowerrr

I noticed that as I got older, my texture has changed. I now have 3 textures of hair in my head..lol...the hair in my crown is a lot looser .......

newgrowth15

Your hair is beautiful. I am a witness that as it grows and gets heavier, the curls get stretched and naturally loosens the texture.

kaykaybobay

I haven't any pics but mine has changed over the past couple of years. I don't have the same hair as I did as a child. I would say when wet my hair is fairly curly not bushy well sort of but it has more elongated curls then say a couple of years ago. I would say this change was mostly due to henna and other Indian powders. I have started using this mud mask for hair by Princess Borghese - this has changed my hair as well. I don't mind the change because I have fine strands that tangle - I am also a natural with split ends :( that I am working on now. When I wash my hair I section and twist this will stretch out my hair. By the second and third day my hair looks like a bad flat iron job - no curl at all - I washed Sunday and did a bantu knot style to dry my hair in - once again I get the bad flat iron job look -also my hair appears kind of stringy I don't know how to remedy this.- I don't mind because I am bunning at the moment to protect my ends. Lastly the feel of my hair has changed too - it is soft but also feels coarse too - as a child I didn't have a coarse feel.

ellebelle88

For the ladies with 4 a/b hair that grows down, how long into your natural hair journey were you when your hair started to finally grown down instead of out? Was it 2,3,4 years?

I wanna know so I can know how long I should probably transition. I was thinking of doing a long-term transition of 3 years, do you guys think that will be enough to have hair that hangs down?

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
thats the one thing i dislike about wearing puffs. pulling my hair back straightens out the outside curls and it takes forever for it to revert. ♥

MyAngelEyez~C~U

it's the weight of the curls. mine do the same thing sometimes. you dont realize how heavy your hair can be. i remember blowing it out and i had each section pinned up. when i took out all of the clips im not exaggerating i felt my neck snap down a bit and hollered out cause my hair was heavy!

:yep::yep::yep::yep:

JennyKenny

My hair has also loosened with length, however, most of the change has occurred in the back nape area. I mostly wear 2strand twists. So, I started noticing it when the hair in the back would form very loose twists that would not stay completely held together. It's also much easier to detangle the back hair now (and definitely easier than the front).

song_of_serenity

I guess it may be just your hair texture and regimen! I've seen people who's hair looks JUST like your "beginning" hair have hair years later and it's like...STILL that length shrunken up and when they stretch/heat straighten it's like waist length, no texture change.

Wonder why this happens to some and not others even though the hairtype "appears" to be the same? Does that mean we should wait longer than the typical two, three month after a BC to type??

carib_n_curly

more hair and gravity
some folks hair do it more than others. your change is very dramatic though. even with length i wouldn't of thought your texture would look like that from BC to WL

my does. my curls hair loosened from length. some areas stretch more than others

NaturalBoss

OP, I don't know what the cause for the texture change is, but I love your hair!!!! I liked it when you first went natural and now.

I think hair texture can just change. My hair was different when I BC'd than what it was before. My curls were so loose that I kept cutting my hair because I thought there was still relaxer, but there wasn't.

ckisland

I guess it may be just your hair texture and regimen! I've seen people who's hair looks JUST like your "beginning" hair have hair years later and it's like...STILL that length shrunken up and when they stretch/heat straighten it's like waist length, no texture change.

Wonder why this happens to some and not others even though the hairtype "appears" to be the same? Does that mean we should wait longer than the typical two, three month after a BC to type??
I was thinking the same thing. I've been natual 3 years and I don't think that my texture has changed a bit and I doubt that it ever will :lol:. I do agree with textures changing depending on moisture level. I'm usually 4a/4b but when my moisture game is at its peak the 3c in my hair suddenly appears.

glamazon386

I've experienced the same thing with my hair. It looks different from when I first chopped. I always thought the texture I had initially was scab hair.

Lovelylife

Yeah I agree. There are many people who do not have a texture change.
I'm guessing it could be her age and regimen.

JJamiah

it's the weight of the curls. mine do the same thing sometimes. you dont realize how heavy your hair can be. i remember blowing it out and i had each section pinned up. when i took out all of the clips im not exaggerating i felt my neck snap down a bit and hollered out cause my hair was heavy!

:giggle: :lachen: LOLOL Honestly when I go into the pool that is how I feel I am like who is pulling my hair down.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I honestly think it's a combination of everything that was mentioned in this thread:

• hair length
  • heat usage
  • henna

Kiki0130

I have nothing but a compliment to contribute here, lol. Gorgeous hair!

(Maybe this is why I seem to be gaining weight... my HAIR is getting longer, JK :lol: )