has anyone experienced tender scalp re: new growth?

ms*x

i hope i'm not alone...ever since i've found this site and have been performing the proper functions for great hair :p, my scalp has been starting to get tender in the places that i've experienced the most new growth...has anyone else gone through this?

Sassafrass

I have a spot at my temple that's very tender and sensitive to touch, but I can't tell if the hair is growing there. I read about people who had tender spots with sprouts of hair growing there so it may be!

shunta

Mine is usually sore in the cown area, and this is usually where my hair grows the fastest.

firecracker

Girl I am glad you started this thread. I started to start one on this subject. The last two weeks my scalp has been killing me in the top. Which is were it grows the fastest and longest.

When I was relaxed it was like this and now that I texturized I noticed the same. I used to tell my old stylist that my napps/new growth was fighting my scalp for early release. :lachen:

I washed my hair and massaged my scalp this morning so its feeling better. :) It was really tender.

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
i have the same problem, at my crown, sometimes in other places, but i never knew the reason why

ms*x

oh, i'm SO glad it's not just me...i have the most tenderness on the crown and close to my temples...i try to massage it daily with some oil or something, but to no avail...however, my hair is growing quitte well in those areas...i wonder if it is because my natural hair, which is EXTREMELY coarse, is punching its way through the follicles at full force (i wish)...hahahhahaaa!!!

angelita842002

Ever since I started taking care of my hair and not wearing it tight my head has been very tender. I only use one soft satin scrunchi(instead of three) and wear a loose bun everyday. My edges are growing in and that part is especially tender.

preciousjewel76

I was wondering about this very thing yesterday, and I did a search on it. I found a bunch of threads regarding sore scalp & hair growth. Apparently it's pretty common to have sore scalp when you're having a growth spurt, or about the time you normally are due for a touch-up (for relaxed ladies).

Personally, my crown area gets tender at about 5 weeks post (where I am now). That part of my hair also has the most new growth.

myco

I get the tenderness in the crown of my head also. I usually just try to massage those areas and after a good wash and deep condition, I feel better. It usually lasts like 2 or 3 days and then goes away.

Studio_gal

I've been experiencing soreness at the back of my head around the 'kitchen' area - last week it actually felt really hot and I had to keep spritzing with water - it doesn't look any longer to me but the roots feel really thick (I'm natural 4a/b with fine hair).

Yep! When I was relaxing every 5 weeks, I used to say that I needed a relaxer so bad that my hair hurt! :lachen:

Now I think of it as the tingles/ache of PROGRESS!

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
It happened to me two weeks ago. I didn't have the itchies, but my scalp was so sore. I did a search and found Arcadian's advice, and it worked like a charm. :yep:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=95874

Arcadian said:
sounds like new growth.

My head is:burn: tender, and sore. Massages help but not by much. I'm itchy like nobody's business. I WAS gonna relax this Sunday but its looking like a serious no go.

Here's what I've learned to do

Get a spray bottle.

Fill it with spring water or Filtered water

Keep this in the fridge (see where I'm going with this?)

If you're new growth is driving you that crazy, go ahead and give your head a good wash 3 days prior. Don't scratch your head because its already irritated, but do massage it. Don't use a heavy conditioner though, a light one will work just fine, and really try not to load up on any heavy moisterizers/oils.

When you get a scalp itch, mist a little of that cold water on that spot. (sure does feel good!)

I've got about 2 inches of new growth all over, and believe me, I feel your pain.

-A

caribeandiva

Human being
I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE! this always happens to me. i just thought i had sensitive scalp or some disease or something. thank goodness for this post!

tnorenberg

StunningEssence said:
I have a spot at my temple that's very tender and sensitive to touch, but I can't tell if the hair is growing there. I read about people who had tender spots with sprouts of hair growing there so it may be!
Same here. My temples are very sensitive. It hurts when I have a lot of new growth or a really fast hair growth spurt. I can barely stand to touch the hair there.

dst4lyf

I have always been tenderheaded, so when ever I have a considerate amount of new grwth my scalp would become sore...then eventually just hurt..I would have to literally take some lotion and grease my scalp AT WORK cause i could not take it....for some reason abt 9 months ago..i start being able to go longer than5 weeks before the tenderness started...8-9 weeks...I am transitioning and it gets very sore...if I wet in and put Motions Conditioner in it..( oil Moisturizing) on just the new growth just as I would if I were perming it...it temporarily relaxes the new growth and my scalp starts praising and thanking me...Then i put a cap on, get under dryer for 15-20 minutes...the new growth is sooooo much more manageable and soft ..therefore relieves some of the soreness....its a temp fix before perming...or can be an ongoing fix if your transitioning.

lilikoi

I have always been tenderheaded, so when ever I have a considerate amount of new grwth my scalp would become sore...then eventually just hurt..I would have to literally take some lotion and grease my scalp AT WORK cause i could not take it....for some reason abt 9 months ago..i start being able to go longer than5 weeks before the tenderness started...8-9 weeks...I am transitioning and it gets very sore...if I wet in and put Motions Conditioner in it..( oil Moisturizing) on just the new growth just as I would if I were perming it...it temporarily relaxes the new growth and my scalp starts praising and thanking me...Then i put a cap on, get under dryer for 15-20 minutes...the new growth is sooooo much more manageable and soft ..therefore relieves some of the soreness....its a temp fix before perming...or can be an ongoing fix if your transitioning.

I was starting to think I was the only one with this theory. You see, I think we're talking about two different kinds of pain. One is the tenderness I'm experiencing this week. It feels as if I've been combing too much, on several areas of my scalp. I believe this one might be related to a growth spurt.

The other soreness is the "I need a relaxer NOW" syndrome, which I think is caused by the new growth "locking" onto itself and tugging on your scalp. It used to give me agonizing headaches, too. I used to call it 'the attack of the crunchies". That's why moisturizing and slightly stretching the new growth, as described by dst4lyf, above, relieves the discomfort.

I'm currently stretching/transitioning (I don't know for sure yet- I'm 13 weeks post) and I'm really working hard at keeping my NG under control by spraying my own oil/moisture concoction every day. It really helps.

Eiano

Me too! The right side of my temple gets sooo sore about 8-12 weeks into my stretch... I like to massage it when it's sore :) I'm weird like that....