Extremly tender scalp

DaiseeDay

Ones anyone else suffer from an extremely tender scalp? It's not tender all the time, but I'd say it gets this way monthly. Its been happening ever since I went natural and it's even more tender in the middle of the crown where my hair is a looser curl pattern. Im not having any problems with length retention so I've ignored it, but the other day I did a middle part and noticed that its also red there like its inflamed. I wonder if it's sunburnt. Sometimes it gets so tender that I can't detangle.

sckri23

DaiseeDay said:
Ones anyone else suffer from an extremely tender scalp? It's not tender all the time, but I'd say it gets this way monthly. Its been happening ever since I went natural and it's even more tender in the middle of the crown where my hair is a looser curl pattern. Im not having any problems with length retention so I've ignored it, but the other day I did a middle part and noticed that its also red there like its inflamed. I wonder if it's sunburnt. Sometimes it gets so tender that I can't detangle.

Im relaxed but my ng always makes my scalp tender and painful to style thats one of the reasons I didnt transition

ItsMeFre

DaiseeDay said:

I have had this problem for as long as I can remember...I think it's hormonal for me because it always gets worse around the time I'm on my period, sorry if that's tmi

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
If it was just tender, I'd say it was just you. However, the redness is a concern. Maybe you are having a bad reaction to a product you are using.

Sunburn is possible if the hair in that area is thin and your skin is on the fair side...

DaiseeDay

lamaria211 said:
Are you using anything on your scalp? Do you baggy or DC overnight?

No I don't generally baggy, I only do it occasionally. I do rub coconut oil into my scalp if it feels dry or itchy and I just started spraying lavender water onto it if it feels too oily.

DarkJoy said:
If it was just tender, I'd say it was just you. However, the redness is a concern. Maybe you are having a bad reaction to a product you are using.

Sunburn is possible if the hair in that area is thin and your skin is on the fair side...

I change my products often and generally use pretty natural ones. It's been happening for a long time.

My hair isn't thin, but I'm thinking maybe the oil I put on my scalp could be creating a cooking effect. Idk my face sunburns after too long in the sun.

ItsMeFre said:
I have had this problem for as long as I can remember...I think it's hormonal for me because it always gets worse around the time I'm on my period, sorry if that's tmi

It might be for me too. I need to start tracking it and see when it happens, but this time it came the week after my period.

My Friend said:
Read my thread :lachen: That's why I dont comb my hair, I just pat it :look:

Lol! Let me go find it.

I haven't been concerned because it goes away after a week or so, but I really wonder what is causing it. Also, the redness is not there anymore although it's still really tender. Maybe it was red from when I detangled. I'm not rough with my hair, but maybe it's just really tender.

I'm gonna ask my doctor. It'll probably be nothing they're really concerned about because my scalp doesn't appear abnormal.

DaiseeDay

divachyk said:
To much manipulation when a lot of ng is present makes areas of my scalp sore.

I know some believe their scalp gets sore when it's growing. Maybe it is part of the growth cycle.

DaiseeDay

Oh and I forgot to mention that my scalp gets hot and my hair holds heat like crazy. Like when I deep condition with a plastic cap or especially when I color my roots get literally hot. And when I straighten my hair burns my hands because it holds in the heat from the flat iron.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I've heard of a condition called burning scalp syndrome, but I've never known anyone that has it.