Hair wrapping controversy

Pumpkin

I could not for the life of me figure out why my hair was thinning on my left hairline. It is thinning seriously /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif I suspected it was the doobie but I thought "no" maybe its the way i sleep...wrong again. So last night I wrapped my hair the other way and found the other side of my hairline to feel sore and appear slightly thinner. So here is my theory: Hair wrapping does not work for me. I think it is because you are manuvering your hair in an awkward position that it is not used to and it does not lay naturally. Therefore it comes out of your head. Since this is my case does anyone have any alternatives to wrapping hair so when I wake up my hair won't look dead and flat? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

A

AmilLion

Yes, pumpkin, I've experienced this as well in the past. What I did, I alternate directions I wrap my hair. Tonight, left, tomorrow right, and so on.

SVT

The only thing I can think of is sectioning your hair in fours (or more) and creating loose buns out of each section. Then tie your scarf on top of the buns. This might be less stress on the hairline but you still might have a somewhat flat look to your hair.

Going against my hair's natural pattern works for me though.

When positioning my pressed hair under my scarf at bedtime, I like to flip my head and comb my hair upside down. Then tie the scarf over that. Tying my hair down against its natural pattern gives my scalp a subtle massage and my hair more volume. Go figure. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Tying my hair down against its natural pattern gives my scalp a subtle massage and my hair more volume. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know SVT, that actually makes sense, now that you mention it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I like to flip my head and comb my hair upside down. Then tie the scarf over that.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm wearing my fake puff, I do this, too. That way it's ready for the afro puff to be attached in the morning.

I have never tried 'Mr. John's' night-time routine, but this is what he said in his newsletter:

You should not wrap the hair, pin curl the hair, pin the hair up in a bun, pull the hair back into a ponytail, finger roll and pin, braid the hair, tie the hair down with a scarf or anything else you ladies can think of. So don't even try it. Roll, roll, roll that hair and watch it grow, grow, grow.

...the hair should never be rolled straight back because it can cause stress on the hairline which may cause thinning.
...Roll starting in the center back panel, then the side panels, then the front.
...After rolling the hair, tie the hair up with a triangular hair net, wave cap or stocking cap.
...Silk, satin and cotton scarves are too hot, do not breathe, cause sweating and don't keep the rollers in place.
...Use rollers made by the company 'Diane' and replace them every three months.

These tips are for pressed hair, but they should work on relaxed hair, too...

Pumpkin I know exactly what you mean. I've noticed that my hair overall is not as thick as it used to be say a year ago and my hairline is being affected too and I think the wrapping is to blame. I don't apply any undue force but I think its the constant 'going against the grain/direction' of hair growth on one side that's doing it. (you wrap mostly from left to right, clockwise like me). I've been going the other direction but to me that's just lifting up the other side and making that hairline go wierd over a period of time too.

Btw, did you get the castor oil? I've been using mine approx every other night now. No real change as yet but I'll stick with it /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Its hard to know about the wrap thing (apart from the section twists suggested). What I've tried doing is when I get the hairline, I smooth the hair with my hand instead of racking a brush/comb through it.

MissM

I have not had any experience with my hair line thinning, it looks the same as always, but I notice that when I wrap my hair right to left instead of left to right the next day my scalp is really sore. Is this because it's not used to laying in that direction?

As for Mr. Johns advice, although I have never heard of him, it would seem like sleeping in rollers would be pulling your hair out from tossing and turning as you sleep. Does anyone regularly sleep in rollers? I'm tired of that flat wrap look too but I can't think of anything else to do with my hair to give it curl. I'm thinking of experimenting with pin curls this weekend.

BlkMane

Try this:

Divide your hair in four to six sections, braid each section (loosely or tight depending on how much WAVE you want), then roll the ends only with perm rods using end papers.

Tie hair back with your satin bonnet or scarf and tie a triangular hair net on top to keep it on.

Let me know how you like the look.

Pumpkin

I bought the castor oil yesterday evening. I was drudging through all the snow but I new I had to get it. I really like the way it makes my hair feel, especially the thinning portion of my hairline. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

To be quite honest when I never took care of my hair at night before I came to this board and was really careless and I NEVER had problems with my hairline. My hair was dry and I had split ends, but doing nothing before I went to bed did not affect my hairline. So I am going to grease my ends and buy a silk pillowcase and let my hair freestyle. These wraps have been really painful and leave big sore spots on head. I will also try the parting in sections and braiding as an alternative.

Pumpkin,

I'm agreeing with you actually in that I was fine before. But then again, I used to always wrap. This is not new to me. I think I just need to be much more careful at not manipulating it alot. I'm going to pin my hair up sometimes now and just 'leave it alone.' I remember during the summer when I did conditioner only washes for one month and didn't pick up a comb ONCE (only to comb conditioner through hair) and I'd just scrunch it dry leaving it to air dry curly in the summer heat. My hair was SO THICK on the day that I decided to wear it straight again. It came out smooth, straight and the thickest ever. That break from any daily combing/manipulation/wrapping just let it thicken.

I'm def. returning to that again when the weather changes. (I can't deal with air drying my hair in cold temperatures).

In the meantime let's just be careful /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm glad you found the c.oil too.

hairfanatic

SVT,

That is good advice you gave. When I was relaxed, I also experience thinning from the wrap. I was told by a lady that you should always...NO MATTER WHAT...wear and set your hair in the direction of your natural growth pattern. She told me that if I wanted the wrap look to roller set my hair, sit under a dryer, then after it's done, comb it going straight down, then tie a scard on it. She said, that I wouldn't need to roll the ends until the second day. She was so right, because it worked.

hairfanatic,

How do you deal with the hair that comes out beneath the scarf? I'd love to try it that way but I'd need a way to keep the exposed hair straight and protected too.

Thanks for sharing /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

hairfanatic

Hi BrownrelaxedHiar

You tie it down with the scarf and then use those pin curl clips to hold it in place...the ones that push in. When I was relaxed it worked well for me. Just pin the sides.

Also, I wanted to add that if your scarf is long enough, when you wrap it going back, bring the two pieces wrapped to the front and tie it in the front. This worked also.

Tracy

Ok now I'm really confused.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif but help me out here ladeis because I'd also like an alternative to wrapping - for styling purposes - not thinning. I don't get that. I been wrapping for years. I do notice that the side that gets wrapped last by my hairline has a space when I comb it down - but that is because my hair is trained to lay a certain way in the wrap. As soon as it's down for a few hours it settles into being down and the "space" becomes non-existant.

But I still don't get these new techniques - SVT are these rollers he suggests the hard magnetic ones? If so how is it proposed that the rollers will stay in the hair if you don't tie them down? And what about the pulling from the pins?

And someone else posted (sorry - forgot who) about combing the hair straight down. You mena like - if you were ging to go outside? And then what? Tie the scarf on like a bandana? Like just around the crown? Where does the length go? Can ou explain how you pin it up with the pins? Perhaps I'm just a doof today but I'm having a serious visualization problem here.... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

hairfanatic

Hi Tracy,

I don't mind explaining at all. Sometimes when you are typing it's hard to visualize what a person is saying. Let me see if I can explain it more visually.

Imagine the direction your hair would be if you wear it in a bun, it's going all the way back. If you take it out of the bun and comb it, it would be going straight down.

Now, if you set your hair under the drier, it's going to be rolled in big rollers going back (the same direction as you would wear a bun). Once your hair is dry and you comb it out, all of your hair will be in the direction of a bun again, but since you had rollers, your ends are going to be curled.

Yes, you are right, you are going to tie the scarf like a bandana. The sides where your two ears are is where you would put the pin curl clip. You are clipping down the scarf to your hair. If you are not a wild sleeper the scarf should come off but if you are, that's where the pin curl on each side will hold in place the scarf. The scarf is basically on the top of you head and the rest of your hair is hanging down.

Tracy it was hairfanatic who talked about the scarf and having the rest of the hair hang down but I too am confused on how to pin up the hair that's hanging down.

Hairfanatic, please explain as I understand about combing the hair down from crown so its all going in the same natural direction of hair growth, but I don't understand how to pin the rest of the hair that's long/past shoulders and exposed from underneath the scarf.

Thanks!

Tracy

Ahh - /images/graemlins/grin.gif NOW I see......

I get it. So the back you just leave down hanging out of the scarf? I understand about the pins on the sides (I prolly wouldn't need those based on the reasons you gave for using them) but wouldn't the length be exposed to the pillow and the effects of tossing and turning at night. My hair would be all gnarled and crazy looking at the ends in the morn....

And I'm sure that this is just my lack of coherence again today - but what happens? A ponytail? A bun for the ends that are curled from the rollers?

Thanks so much hairfanatic....I appreciate you bearing with me here.....That last explanation got me on the same page as you. Now I just need the "wrap up". No pun intended....

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hairfanatic

I get it. So the back you just leave down hanging out of the scarf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly

but wouldn't the length be exposed to the pillow and the effects of tossing and turning at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was relaxed and did this technique, I only wore the scarf on the first day. The other days, I would just comb my hair and I wrapped a silk scarf around my pillow.

Even with my pressed hair, I never wear a scarf or rollers. I paid almost $200.00 for a real silk scarf and the scarf has lasted for over 10 years. I just wrap the scarf around my pillow. My hair is never tangled, but the side I sleep on will be flat so I never put curls on that side.

And I'm sure that this is just my lack of coherence again today - but what happens? A ponytail? A bun for the ends that are curled from the rollers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same technique, but I wouldn't sleep in a bun or ponytail and that's just me. I just think the tension of those two styles were just too damaging for me.