Hair Journal: How Do You Keep Track of Your Hair?

Blessed_Angel

I have begun my hair journal. I've decided that it would be easy to have it entered into Excel. But the idea that I thought of a few weeks, I can't remember it entirely.

I have a tab for each month. And I named the document "Hair Journal 2008". And on the days that I do my hair, I go to the number matching the day of the month (on the column), and enter it into the rows for that day. I also enter the results into a comment so that I'd have unlimited space to write what I want. I enter if I like the way my rollerset came out or if I don't. And if I had any major breakage or shedding or didn't. I date it and put the time at the end of the comment. Before this, I was writing what I did on my calendar; but there's no room to document my results. I was wondering if the way that I'm doing it could be improved. Any suggestions are welcome.

How do you keep track in your hair journal?

TIA.

I bought a calender that has a notes section. One one 2-page section is the calendar and on the next page I have a Notes section. I prefer to hand right it and have a reference for the year.

This calendar is perfect and I got it from Walmart, by Cambridge. I have seen it at K-Mart, also.

here are some pictures as an example. (I must love yall. I never share my journal. :)) as you can see, mine is not formal or fancy. I use a pencil so I can erase any hair care thing I plan and then have to change.

journal1.JPG

journal2.JPG

I like your date book HoneyDew...I might have to get one. I've been tracking
my progress on my calendar book on my computer, but I would like to incorporate a hard copy too...especially for products I want to try, so I can take the notebook shopping with me.

I bought a calender that has a notes section. One one 2-page section is the calendar and on the next page I have a Notes section. I prefer to hand right it and have a reference for the year.

This calendar is perfect and I got it from Walmart, by Cambridge. I have seen it at K-Mart, also.

here are some pictures as an example. (I must love yall. I never share my journal. :)) as you can see, mine is not formal or fancy. I use a pencil so I can erase any hair care thing I plan and then have to change.

journal1.JPG

journal2.JPG

I have a large calendar in my bathroom on the wall by my sink. The big ones where a month is on a big page by itself. Each box is big enough for me to write down ...perm, trim, etc. on any one date.

Mine is pretty much like HoneyDew, except I just keep it all in a Word document. I know I'd forget if I actually used an actual calendar/journal.

It's easy to go back and add any comments or do any editing.

I'm not good with calenders so I use a livejournal to keep track of recipes and whatnot. It's working out pretty well so far.

journal1.JPG

journal2.JPG
I did this in the beginning of my journey, but now i've gotten away from it. I just use my wall calendar and mark when i am 12+wks post, trims and retouches. I used to have monday as my regular poo day but i barely am on schedule (laziness). Maybe i need to get back to this system, huh?

I keep a journal in a lined notebook. It is structured like a chemistry experiment with what I do & use, for how long,etc. observations at each step and results. I also keep track of relaxers and trims. In between dates, I also have pages on different oils and ingredients and their benefits that I have learned along the way. At first I would write down observations between washes like when my hair got dry, and what I used & when.It helped me to quickly determine what works for me and how to solve any future problems that I may have encountered before. I have been doing this since last May and it really has helped me.

I did this in the beginning of my journey, but now i've gotten away from it. I just use my wall calendar and mark when i am 12+wks post, trims and retouches. I used to have monday as my regular poo day but i barely am on schedule (laziness). Maybe i need to get back to this system, huh?

I think it's good to be on a schedule. I poo every Sunday (unless something calls for early or later). And I list the product that I've used. I realized that was important when someone asked me when was the last time I had clarified. I then realized that I need to doc when and what products I used. Even what I used as a leave-in. I think this will help me solidify my regimen.

I keep a journal in a lined notebook. It is structured like a chemistry experiment with what I do & use, for how long,etc. observations at each step and results. I also keep track of relaxers and trims. In between dates, I also have pages on different oils and ingredients and their benefits that I have learned along the way. At first I would write down observations between washes like when my hair got dry, and what I used & when.It helped me to quickly determine what works for me and how to solve any future problems that I may have encountered before. I have been doing this since last May and it really has helped me.

I love your detailed "chemistry experiment"...lol.

I'm going to start one for my daughter too. Can't believe I have a solid regi for her before I had one for myself....:grin: I wonder if any mother's on here have one for their daughter's?

You know, mine has dual purposes. I do have to actually plan the days I do my hair and my work-outs so they fit into my schedule. I like to heavier workout on the days I do my hair. This books helps me do that, plus keeps a log of things I have used, relaxers, treatments, etc. I, I decided to see how long I could go without feeling the need to use henna. So far, I am at 3 months and it was easy to go back and determine that.

I think putting things on your wall calendar is good too. Actually that is what I used to do until I realized I wanted a place to write down my personal products reviews and mixtures and notes and stuff.

I think it's good to be on a schedule. I poo every Sunday (unless something calls for early or later). And I list the product that I've used. I realized that was important when someone asked me when was the last time I had clarified. I then realized that I need to doc when and what products I used. Even what I used as a leave-in. I think this will help me solidify my regimen.

Yep, that was me. I used to do ALL this. Write down when i clarified, what products i used when i pooed, dc'ed, pree-pooed, leavins and such. I think i'll get back to this, maybe it will help me regulate myself. Thanks.

My various reviews act as a progress report I suppose....I just keep track of when I use it and the review records what it did for my hair.

Mainly, I just rely on using a ruler every two months to make sure I've got another inch gained.

If there's a problem it'll show there. I know hair grows no matter what, so if I'm behind in length it's due to a product or procedure and I go back two months to see what I did different from my usual tried and true method. As I don't change my regimen, but only the products in it, I can pretty easily detect what the culprit was/is.

Any other ruler-gals out there?

The numbers don't lie. Just don't scratch your scalp with the ends of it and take measurements from three different spots. Not just the crown.

I now have a journal on blogger that I use to track when I wash and deep condition my hair and the products use and the process I used. I also use it to track when I style my hair (ex. weave, braids, etc), cuts/trims, last relaxer, progress reports and protein treatments.

I have a hair calendar hanging in the bathroom (was to help me remember relaxers and protein treatments) and I just started a hair journal last month. I plan to write in the journal at least twice a week. My journal doubles as a hair-related diary because my last journal entry included me venting my feelings about a comment a relative made doubting that I can get my hair long. It also included my VOW to make her eat her words one day soon--perhaps this Christmas, lol.

Last edited:

Thank you HoneyDew, I have struggled with keeping my journal and how to keep notes. A calander with a note section is perfect. It's so funny how the threads that I dread going into are the most helpful. You guys are just wonderful. :yep:

I have a hair calendar hanging in the bathroom (was to help me remember relaxers and protein treatments) and I just started a hair journal last month. I plan to write in the journal at least twice a week. My journal doubles as a hair-related diary because my last journal entry included me venting my feelings about a comment a relative made doubting that I can get my hair long. It also included my VOW to make her eat her words one day soon--perhaps this Christmas, lol.

That's right; show them haters that you who controls your hair destiny: not them! And that's a great idea, to include goals in your journal....

I'll add that to my comments...that's why I love Excel cause it allows me to do that and go back and searches in the document if need be and I could find it easy without searching pages and pages. I may create a new document for product reviews...although I know once I don't like a product I will not buy it again...:nono:

I keep track of treatments, touchups, personal challenges, long lasting styles (twists, straight hair), and trims in my planner.

I love your detailed "chemistry experiment"...lol.

I'm going to start one for my daughter too. Can't believe I have a solid regi for her before I had one for myself....:grin: I wonder if any mother's on here have one for their daughter's?

It certainly was an "experiment" every week when I first started the journal:yep:.

It certainly was an "experiment" every week when I first started the journal:yep:.

I wish I'd started my journal a lot sooner; it would have saved me from a lot of breakage and in perfecting my hair regimen. And I could have been taking note of when my breakage started. That would have been very helpful in stopping it before too much damage was done.

I use TreeBNotes. It allows me to keep several journals so I keep track off all kinds of things. I usually update when I try something new or discover a new treatment that I want to try out

I use TreeBNotes. It allows me to keep several journals so I keep track off all kinds of things. I usually update when I try something new or discover a new treatment that I want to try out

I'm assuming TreeBNotes is a software, right? I've never heard of it. What is the software like? (e.g. Excel, Outlook calendar, Access)? Just wondering. TIA.

My fotki really keeps me on track. I have my folders broken down monthly. I also have reflections from the previous month so that I can see what worked/didn't work. And I try to take a pic of everything I do to my hair so that I can VISUALLY see the changes. W/out my fotki, I wouldn't really be as motivated to track my hair progress.

Back