Do any of you ladies keep a Hair Journal?

Angel of the North

So I was posting in the thread about my hair plans for this weekend, after I had posted I went back in to edit to say that I also planned on creating a new regimen and this got me thinking about my hair journals.

To give a little background to my story, I started my HHJ in February 2008 and was lurking on the board till August when I just couldn't take it no more and just had to get that subscription (one of the best things I ever did for my hair!). I was so disciplined, I had clear goals about what I wanted to achieve and was open to trying out new or different things in order get the results I wanted. One of the goals at the top of my list was to form a new type of relationship with my hair. I wanted to get to know exactly what made my hair tick or not, I wanted to pin down the products that would help my hair to be the best that it could be, fore mostly, healthy.

I decided that the best way to do this would be to keep a journal, I had a section for regimens, products, procedures and daily care. I would select a regimen, as I incorporated new products and/or procedures or mixtures, I would re-create my regimen to incorporate what worked and drop out what didn't. I wrote in it daily, even if it was just a couple of lines to state what I had done to my hair for the day and how much of whatever product I had used and how this left my hair feeling. This helped me soooo much, I cannot even stress this enough. Keeping the journal helped me to keep track of any changes in my hair, for example, if I had a setback, I could trace it back to something I used or failed to use, which also made the problem easier to fix.

I was away from the board from around April 2010 as I had a lot of things going on in my life, although I stayed on my journey until early 2011. I'm now trying very, very hard to get back on track, my hair has been in mourning for the last year and something's got to give! So, I've gotten into the habit of washing and DCing regularly and things are starting to take shape, I decided that I needed to create a new regimen for myself and step up it up a notch on the discipline, that is when I pulled out my old HHJ journals from 2009 and 2010 to help (oh how faithful I was to the cause back then, sigh). I have been re-familiarizing myself with the products I used in the past, checking out what my hair liked etc, which is what brought the questions to my mind;
How many of you ladies Keep or have kept a hair journal?
what do you write about in there?
How often do you write in there?
How has this helped you in your HHJ?

I don't keep a hair journal specifically,but I do log when something works really well for me. It's helped me get consistent results.

I used to in the beginning of my hhj but not any more its a good thing and I should still do it, idk maybe I'll start back

I don't have a HHJ, but I maintain a blog in the LHCF blog. That keeps me focused and also tracks my progress or lack of progress depending on the season.

I just started keeping a journal. I'm trying to get a regimen down, so it is helping me to remember what products/techniques work for my hair and which ones don't.

My blog is my journal. I try to write down everything I do to my hair to keep track of what works and what doesnt.

Angel of the North
What do you write about in there?
-Wash day regi and results
-Results of trying new products / techniques
-Bookmark interesting articles that may serve a purpose later

-Varies - sometimes daily but always on wash day (1x weekly)

-Keep track of things that positively and negatively impacted my hair
-Reminder of those things that did or did not work

I use Evernote to journal.

Angel of the North

Make sure you back up your stuff, I've been having a lot of bad luck with my gadgets lately :sad:

I have a journal that I write down what I have done for my hair, dates of installs if getting one, wig companies and possible wig purchases, products ordered received and hoping to purchase.

I started writing a journal when I started using Henna so I knew when to next use it. I log how new things that I try pan out and what needs to be improved. I log my hair measurements and the dates of my trims. I also tend to vent sometimes about how I can't do anything with my hair lol. But yeah, I mainly write a journal to log how changes to my regimen are working and what tweaks I need to make.

Angel of the North

I do the exact same thing. I also take pictures to see the length progression and what products I was using when my hair was healthiest.

I write about everything regarding wash days, the products I use, how long I DC or henna or overnight pre-poo, whatever I'm doing, and results as far as how my hair feels, whether or not I liked a product, etc. I try to be as specific and detailed as possible bc I forget a lot of what I've done, so I refer to my journal to remind myself of past experiences. I also added my vitamin regimen so I can track how long I've taken supplements and if my hair experiences any changes.

I write weekly wash experiences and 3-4 times during the week about M&S

I use it to remind myself of things I liked or didn't like, rants/raves/wants, timing.
It also helps me determine what I need to do to my hair next, like when I henna, the next week I just DC and moisturize, the week after that I'll do AOGPB, and keep rotating but I'll eventually forget what I did last, don't judge, I got 5 heads to maintain lol! I keep a journal for my kids too, tracking the same type of info. It's more of a necessity for me.

When I bc'd my locs I was keeping a journal, but that didn't last very long. I was writing what worked, what didn't, ho my hair felt etc. I should pick it up again, because I think I've turned a corner in my journey (for the better).

I did when I first started out to help get myself started. I would write down the products I would use for my shampoo, conditioner, oils, protein treatment to build a regimen and also try to keep track of dates for my relaxer, protein treatments etc. I haven't done it much in past years though.

I kept a photo journal for 104 weeks when I transitioned from relaxed to natural without doing the Big Chop. I never wanted hair shorter than shoulder length. I noted what products I used and if they worked. I ended up making it all into a book that is 197 pages. I also have a blog.

I kept a photo journal for 104 weeks when I transitioned from relaxed to natural without doing the Big Chop. I never wanted hair shorter than shoulder length. I noted what products I used and if they worked. I ended up making it all into a book that is 197 pages. I also have a blog.

That's impressive. That takes a lot of discipline and dedication.

I use to in the beginning of my hair journey now I keep tabs on which product or technique worked and what didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA
So many people (friends/family/coworkers) wanted to know all the details about my transition as it happened so I wrote it all down. Plus I wanted to keep a record for myself of what worked and what didn't.

I have several cousins who transitioned to natural, a former coworker transitioned and now my sister is considering it. My mom is natural during the summer. :lachen: She tends to relax in the fall but her hair is short, pixie cut usually, so it's easy for her to go back and forth.

That's impressive. That takes a lot of discipline and dedication.

How many of you ladies Keep or have kept a hair journal?
Yes, I keep a hair journal. I started it when I had a major setback in November 2011. I had to get my nearly APL hair cut to chin length on the sides and even shorter in the back.
I write about how I'm feeling about my hair that day. I always update my journal on wash days and relaxer days. I keep detailed information about the products that I used and how I used them, how my hair responded to the product and whether or not I will use it again in the same way or at all.
I would like to write in it every day, but mostly I do so once a week. Lately its only been once a month.
This has helped my hair journey tremendously!! I also keep a photo journal. So when ever I get discouraged I look at the pictures to see how far I've come and it motivates me to stay on my HHJ. The written journal is used as a guide of what to do and not to do for my hair. It has helped me narrow down my stash and tweak my techniques for better results.

This thread is making me want to journal more often, it has definitely been beneficial for me.

At the beginning of my journey I did. I documented everything I did to my hair and my hair thrived. Somewhere along the line I stopped documenting everything and so came the hair issues. I will go back to documenting at the beginning of the yr.

I have a blog at LHC [when the site is up] and I write down everything I do on a Word document on my laptop. Even if it's a simple co wash, I write it down. This helps me keep track of products and lets me know when to do treatment, trim, etc. Also, if I start noticing breakage or discontent with my hair, I can go back and see when I changed something to see if that's the culprit.

I've been blogging at LHC for about 4 years and have had the word document for just over a year.

i tried doing it for a month. i am terrible at stuff like that. but now i kind of know what works and what doesn't. i think i will start one again for the winter season. i am going to start trying a few different things and see if it makes a difference. plus i try to take pics with every relaxer touch up.

No. Once I stopped being a PJ, it became easy to know what works and what doesn't, because I don't use a lot of different products.

Although I still have a lot of products from my pj days, I'm going to give the away. I can use the space for something else. I know ectactly what works for me now.

I really need to keep a journal.

It would be a good idea for me to track how much I dust so I won't risk doing too much or too little, when I henna, use protein (and what type), and other treatments. Sometimes time goes by before I realize its been took long since I've done XYZ. I will probably do it for about 6 months to see if it works for me.

i started.my journey in 2008. no journal. of course i made really stupid mistakes that messed my hair up but...didnt remember.what i did.
since august this year i started my journal (hubby kept telling me i should and hé was right).
it helped and when i have an issue i go back and read then understand its à new product added to the reggie which my hair didnt like. i now have à great reggie. rétention at last and lesson breakage to no breakage sometimes .

i also learned to listen to my hairs need. i write down all the steps i do. with the products i use .how long i left it on. the result. what i think.went wrong if there is an issue...

really helpful

when I started my HHJ in April 2008, I kept a very detailed journal. I was jumping on and off all kinds of hair "bandwagons" and it was difficult to know what was working and what wasn't. Also, as I dabbled in mixing my own concoctions, I needed to keep track of recipes and their results. Now - almost 5years later - I have a very solid regimen. I know exactly how to translate my hairs needs when she speaks her language. so I dont keep a journal anymore. But my hair journal is still there to remind me of where I've been, and how far I've come....and even the different milestones I've achived along the way.:yep:

Yep just started about 3 months ago shortly after I received my komaza care hair analysis results and it makes a huge difference because I am admittedly a product junkie and it helps so much to know which combination of products i used produced which results.... I make an entry everytime I wash

@Angel of the North

JOURNALING IS A MAIN KEY IN MY HAIR CARE JOURNEY JUST LIKE DEEP CONDITIONING:grin:

-Wash day routine, products and results
-list of hair supplies needed and a wishlist
- hair recipes as a i come across things i want to try
-other's regimens, if i see something i want to try
- hair idols pics
-pics of styles i want to try
-progress pics and length checks
-i also write my goals and review them often

-Varies - at least once a week, but pretty much any time i do anything to my hair. co wash, wash, trim, use a new product. i also report next day results after i do something to my hair

-keep me from being a product total junkie. sometimes i think i want to try a products, then i search my journal and find out i tried the product already and it didn't work
-keep me focused on my goals and my progress

i keep mine in my notes section of my phone

I used to keep one when I was relaxed.
I kept a track of stretches, trims, products/methods used and results.

Ive never kept one since being natural. Since Ive found HV and SD I dont need a journal as once I use all the products in the line together its awesome results :lick:

Back