Do you keep a written hair journal?

• Yes

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • No

Votes: 53 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaNecia

I started a hair journal two years ago, when I started my hair care journey. I'm not talking about my online picture journal but an actual JOURNAL that I write in when I 'do' my hair.

Looking back, I see I've tried so many things, started many things and dropped off. It's interesting to chart my progress through the different stages. I can compare my hair photos with the writings and see what was working and what obviously wasn't.

I mention this because last year my hair was the healthiest it has ever been in my entire life (all 38 years). In looking at the processes, treatments, products, I can see where I started to stray and when my hair took a turn for the worse. If it were not for the journal, I'd not have such a good record of what worked and how to quickly turn this situation around.

It's also saved me a lot of money too cause I stopped buying so much when I was focused on what worked. I think we get caught up in trying the latest and greatest rave that we lose sight of what works for us individually, at least that was true for me.

If you don't have a journal, maybe it's time you started! Your hair will thank you!

Last edited:
I keep my hair journal on my flash drive. I update it when I get bored at work. I probably end up writing in it 3 + times. I've had it since February 2007. I like it because I can see how frustrated I was at the beginning. I never forget the formula for fabulous hair days and products I used. I don't repeat mistakes because I'm reminded of them and I remember tips from other ladies because I write them in my journal. I would suggest everyone especially newbies keep a hair journal. Because mine is on a flash drive I created separate files for my journal, LHCF member tips and hair pics.

PinkSkates

Yes I've been keeping one for 2 years now; before I even knew about hair boards. I was reading it the other day, and realized that it took me 14 months of trial and error to find the right regimen and products for my hair. And you're right; it keeps me from jumping on the latest bandwagon and to stay focused as to what works for my hair.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
No written hair Journal for me as of yet,
The Fotki page is my best bet for now cause I can actually see the progress AND write down what I did to my hair at that particular time. In the future though, I'm sure that I'll create one - I've alredy become hooked to taking hair pics since joining LHCF!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I keep a journal on a seperate hair board, and it has definitely helped me figure out some things about my hair and products. I've been keeping it for almost a year and I'm glad I did. Not only does it help chart major setbacks and goals, but also the little day to day things that effect my hair.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
lovenharmony said:
No written hair Journal for me as of yet,
The Fotki page is my best bet for now cause I can actually see the progress AND write down what I did to my hair at that particular time. In the future though, I'm sure that I'll create one - I've alredy become hooked to taking hair pics since joining LHCF!

I take that back...I just created one on my Fotki page! :lachen: It is a good idea, and since I'm a newbie, it's a great way to document my progress and setbacks (if any!).

1ariel

I keep mine on my online album as I post new pictures and also I update my online journal as I do my hair weekly or bi-weekly. Only thing is I do not keep the update more then 6 weeks because every 6 weeks I start over with my Aphogee treatments and the rest of my routine. Now I think I will keep all of my entries so I can chart what works and what does not.

Here it is: http://journals.fotki.com/1ariel/

gymfreak336

I have mine on my computer. I have a separate page for each month. I keep track of all of my purchases I make each month, every wash including what I used and how it came out. I also montior my hair health, when I notice splits, breakage, trims etc....

deontaer

I keep mental notes and just take pictures. If a product doesn't work for me after 2 tries, I toss it so I don't look back in my stash months later and make the same mistake again. I take pictures every couple of months to show myself how much my hair has grown. Other than that, I feel like I make too much of a fuss as it is with my hair, I don't want to start making dear diary entries on top of it. My fiance already sucks his teeth when he catches me on the "Rupunzel" board - as he likes to call it. :lachen:

tatje

My journal is my fotki page. That's enough for me. I like to see the changes in my hair if any.

C

chica_canella

1ariel said:
I keep mine on my online album as I post new pictures and also I update my online journal as I do my hair weekly or bi-weekly. Only thing is I do not keep the update more then 6 weeks because every 6 weeks I start over with my Aphogee treatments and the rest of my routine. Now I think I will keep all of my entries so I can chart what works and what does not.

Here it is: http://journals.fotki.com/1ariel/

Ooh, I see you use baking soda too for your face. It really does work wonders giving me a polished and clean feel to my skin.:D

C

chica_canella

tatje said:
My journal is my fotki page. That's enough for me. I like to see the changes in my hair if any.

Dang, girl. your hair is really growing and looks very thick and healthy now. Keep up with the good work!:D

PatTodd

I keep my journal here. I find that it helps keep me focused on how I feel about my hair, especially now that I'm facing a crossroads (do I want to relax, or should I go natural).

SkinnyMocah

I have another board and we have a hair challenge going that I update when I see progress, change my regimen, or find something new, so I guess so? It's just more interactive because other people post as well.

sareca

I love my journal. It keeps me motivated and focused and it's the only way I'd have any record of what was working and what wasn't.

turnergirl

I can barely find the time to journal about my life let alone my hair. Keeping the pictures and small comments about them is enough for me. My routine is very very simple so it is not often I will forget anything. If I have a big enough disaster there will be a picture. I am trying to be sure I restructure my life and ensure I have time to put my thoughts on paper.

LaNecia

Hey ladies, thanks for the replies! It's interesting to see everyone's methods and reasonings (both the pros and the cons)!!

I know for me, I just love keeping records and being able to look back at information (yes, and information pack rat :grin: ) I have commitment issues (with products and routines) so writing them down keeps me 'honest'. What I can say? :lol:

Keep 'em coming!

WaterChylde

Living and loving life
I have one. It started off as part of another journal but I am VERY anal about organization so I created a new journal just for hair. I really have way too many journals. LOL

Victorian

old head
I keep a journal. I started it 2 years ago on this site, but ended up moving to an external journal site so I could make it more like a website. Even now I feel sort of restricted using Diaryland.com. I've considered moving it to blogger or something, but I may need to just save my old entries on my computer and start fresh like I did when I moved to Diaryland from LHCF--which means that only I will be able to read my older entries, and that kinda defeats the purpose (at least for my own journal).

I used to write more frequently a while back, but now I tend to have flurries of activity whenever I'm having a problem, trying something new, picture update, etc. I like going back and reading some of my really old entries and seeing what I was up to :lol: You'd be surprised at what you'll forget in a year's time that you may come across while perusing your old entries :yep: Plus it's just fun to have to go along with your photo album.

RosesBlack

I started one here and it's helped out a lot. I am going to start keeping more specific track of what I'm doing though. I need to tweak my regimena nd I don't want to do stuff I've already tried.

ravenmerlita

I have a hair journal. I started it on another site two years ago. I then moved it here because I visit here more than any other hair site.

For me, having a hair journal is essential. I became a product and technique junkie immediately trying so many different things. Without a journal I couldn't keep track.

In fact, I remember thinking recently that I would never like baggying even though I have hair as dry as the sahara. I was just re-reading early entries in my journal and there was an entry that started "baggying works for me." I had completely forgotten that I had tried it.

ellebelle88

I really think keeping a journal is a fantastic idea. Not only can you look back and see what products you've tried, etc., but it also keeps you motivated and going. Even with that being said I do not have a journal. I'm not really dedicated as I should be when it comes to taking care of my hair, one of the main reasons being that I am really broke right now. When I find a job and have more time to devote to taking care of my hair, I will definitely start a journal.

I do have a boring ass fotki though! :D

wheezy807

I don't have a hair journal but after reading this i think i would like to start one. I do have a "hair calendar" where i just basicly blot down when i poo/dc, touchup,and reconstruct,etc. But seeing that i am still looking for a hair regime maybe this will give me insight and bring me closer.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I don't have a journal as of yet, but I have been toying with the idea of creating one. I too think it's a great way of keeping track of what works and what doesn't as far as products and methods are concerned.

Me2

I have several but the only one that is up to date is the one not online. I found one I started when I was natural six years ago! When I stop writing my hair suffers. Guess that explains why I had to start over in Dec. Keep writing/typing ladies.