Hair Hypocrites

lthomas1

Hair Power!
Is it my imagination or are there a lot of white women out here with extensions in there hair?

I was out on Saturday and there were white twin teenagers and one was telling her sister to fix her hair because she can see her extensions. This morning I was sitting in my daily manager’s meeting and turned my head to talk to the white manager next to me and low and behold I saw an extension in her scalp. Normally I would not make a big deal out of this, but she has spoken about all the fake hair black women wear. I see a lot of hypocrisy here. What do you think?

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

I've noticed the trend amongst N. African women in France too. They do keep it quiet though, don't they. LMAO

LoveLiLi

I've noticed this as well. When white women wear weaves/extensions it's considered cute/ a change of pace, but when black women wear weaves it's because we're bald-headed, can't grow our own hair, trying to be white etc. It'd be nice if it could be seen simply as a way to change up your look, no matter who was wearing the weave.

ladylibra

Khalia27 said:
I've noticed this as well. When white women wear weaves/extensions it's considered cute/ a change of pace, but when black women wear weaves it's because we're bald-headed, can't grow our own hair, trying to be white etc. It'd be nice if it could be seen simply as a way to change up your look, no matter who was wearing the weave.

you hit the nail right on the head...

I think often people just assume it's their hair. (Unlike with us--it always has to be a weave!) There was a girl who used to work in the office across from me--I used to see her in the ladies' room. It seemed like I was the only one who noticed that she wore a weave. It wasn't until she made it look kind of obvious by putting some sparkly stuff in it that others noticed it was a weave.

Blossssom

chocolatesis said:
It wasn't until she made it look kind of obvious by putting some sparkly stuff in it that others noticed it was a weave.

And of course no one automatically assumed the woman was bald-headed and couldn't grow her own hair, right? Right.

CAPlush

I think the fake hair industry has finally gotten ahold of them, to the point where even teens are getting more and more marketed too for fake hair. It's a cycle, the stylists convince them to color, perm, cut their hair short. Then, when they feel insecure or just want a change, they have to look to extensions to achieve that look. The stylists keep the hair damaged short and thin, the fake hair industry reaps the benefit.

ToyToy

I once saw this caucasian lady in a cafe with really long wavy hair (midback) and it looked really nice. So I thought, oh her hair is quite nice. Then she turned around, and I saw the tracks in the back of her head.

Junonia

I think a lot of whites wear weaves/extensions to add fullness to their hair. I used to think all white women had thick and long hair like you see in pantene commercials. Once I started working in corp. america, I realized their hair was thin, bleached, frizzy, fried and tons of dandruff. There were very few women that I could actually say had a gorgeous head of hair

Blossssom

CAPlush said:
I think the fake hair industry has finally gotten ahold of them, to the point where even teens are getting more and more marketed too for fake hair. It's a cycle, the stylists convince them to color, perm, cut their hair short. Then, when they feel insecure or just want a change, they have to look to extensions to achieve that look. The stylists keep the hair damaged short and thin, the fake hair industry reaps the benefit.

I cannot agree more with this. Hair stylists are the enemy of anyone who wishes to have long, healthy hair.

Hair stylists do not believe in this and as long as they can keep you bald and fried, they will because it means more money in their bottomless pocket.

pistachio

Ineedhair said:
I think a lot of whites wear weaves/extensions to add fullness to their hair. I used to think all white women had thick and long hair like you see in pantene commercials. Once I started working in corp. america, I realized their hair was thin, bleached, frizzy, fried and tons of dandruff. There were very few women that I could actually say had a gorgeous head of hair

I couldn't agree more. Rarely do I see a white girl on campus who's hair I envy.

Blossssom

Ineedhair said:

I'll never forget the day I was going to work and Ms. Thang (white, 5'2, size 0, drove a BMW and you couldn't tell her her stuff didn't stink) was rushing to get into the office because of a heavy wind and her hair extensions blew off her head! Priceless!

She was such a little b**ch. I was glad when they fired her tail.

CAPlush

Ineedhair said:

My best friend in high school was the only White girl I knew who both used Pantene and had Pantene hair. She knew she had nice hair, and used to talk BAD about other girls whose hair looked rough. Thats when I started noticing not very many White girls had nice hair at all.

Blossssom said:
And of course no one automatically assumed the woman was bald-headed and couldn't grow her own hair, right? Right.

Of course. It's like it's just something cute when they do it. And I agree with Ineedhair, I look around my office and none of the caucasion women have long healthy hair. They all dye it too much. this one girl used to have long MBL brown hair when she first started. But now it just makes APL and it's been bleached blonde. It looks so overpocessed and fried, I just want to give her some tips on deep conditioning.

seraphim712

Blossssom said:
I'll never forget the day I was going to work and Ms. Thang (white, 5'2, size 0, drove a BMW and you couldn't tell her her stuff didn't stink) was rushing to get into the office because of a heavy wind and her hair extensions blew off her head! Priceless!

LMAO!!!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

CAPlush said:
My best friend in high school was the only White girl I knew who both used Pantene and had Pantene hair. She knew she had nice hair, and used to talk BAD about other girls whose hair looked rough. Thats when I started noticing not very many White girls had nice hair at all.

I think the only way for them to have the "Pantene commercial hair" is to not blowdry or dye their hair, but so many of them dye their hair and then blow dry it everyday.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

White pple have been wearing weaves for yrs., if you ask me they started the trend. The only difference is they used velcro and blacks used glue, atleast that's how it all began b4 sew ins, clip ons, infuse, and now lacefronts.

CAPlush

BeautifulWideEyes said:
White pple have been wearing weaves for yrs., if you ask me they started the trend. The only difference is they used velcro and blacks used glue, atleast that's how it all began b4 sew ins, clip ons, infuse, and now lacefronts.

It's the do-it-yourself at home clip ons that are really getting the mainstream into extensions. I saw a beautiful clip on being sold on HSN the other day. It was a nice one that a mature conservative older woman could wear, not those long raggedy Paris Hilton style pieces.

StartinOvah

i think, too, that white people think/thought "extensions" are/were for occasional usage, like stage performances or reserved for "white trash": how many times have we seen ponies and wigs get ripped off a head on springer? surely, no one questioned that long blond pony madonna wore back in the day.

i guess white people thought hair extensions were ok for a special event, not the everyday...that is until people like brit and jessica simpson started wearing them to starbucks. now its ok.

Mestiza

BeautifulWideEyes said:

I remember a hairstylist talking about weaves and extensions and saying that White women had been getting them for years and how thankful he was that they had become more affordable b/c Black women were getting them, frequently and it was good for his business.

Mestiza

Blossssom said:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Blossssom

Mestiza said:
...how thankful he was that they had become more affordable b/c Black women were getting them, frequently and it was good for his business.

I know it is! LOL!

I have an ex-girlfriend, Latino, and she gets extensions for "special occasions" ;)

myco

BeautifulWideEyes said:

I agree. The first person to tell me about weaves was my mom's white friend back when I was in middle school. She broke it down how all the "hair bands" were just a bunch of men wearing weaves.

ShaniKeys

lthomas1 said:
Is it my imagination or are there a lot of white women out here with extensions in there hair?

I was out on Saturday and there were white twin teenagers and one was telling her sister to fix her hair because she can see her extensions. This morning I was sitting in my daily manager’s meeting and turned my head to talk to the white manager next to me and low and behold I saw an extension in her scalp. Normally I would not make a big deal out of this, but she has spoken about all the fake hair black women wear. I see a lot of hypocrisy here. What do you think?
There are PLENTY of white women with extensions, just look at all these white celebs: Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie and Jessica Simpson even admitted in an interview that she only has ONE cover where she's not wearing extensions! Even here in Europe it's a trend now, they do it in white hairsalons and charge a fortune (for what it's worth:eek:). Jessica Simpson used to get her extensions put on all the time on her show Newlyweds, she even started her own extensions line: http://www.hairextensions.com/jessicasimpson.html

Last edited:

lthomas1

Hair Power!
Yes, some my wear them on special occasion, but plenty are wearing them on a regular basis. There were no special occasions on my job today. I just don't like how they make a big deal out of black women wearing hair and they are sporting it too. Believe me the next time this woman gets started I will let her know what a big fraud she is.

hennagirl

lthomas1 said:
Yes, some my wear them on special occasion, but plenty are wearing them on a regular basis. There were no special occasions on my job today. I just don't like how they make a big deal out of black women wearing hair and they are sporting it too. Believe me the next time this woman gets started I will let her know what a big fraud she is.

I agree that plenty of white women wear extensions - read weaves. IMO, they justify their hypocrisy by stating that THEIR extensions parallel their hair. They state that black women get extensions with "white-people-Type 1 or 2" hair because black hair is bad and needs to be hidden/replaced with "white-people, Type 1 or 2" hair. Therefore, their weaves are choice and ours are necessary. I probably artculated this badly. I do wish, however, that some of us would choose hair that more closely matched our own - picture me ducking.:eek:

lthomas1

Hair Power!
hennagirl said:
I agree that plenty of white women wear extensions - read weaves. IMO, they justify their hypocrisy by stating that THEIR extensions parallel their hair. They state that black women get extensions with "white-people-Type 1 or 2" hair because black hair is bad and needs to be hidden/replaced with "white-people, Type 1 or 2" hair. Therefore, their weaves are choice and ours are necessary. I probably artculated this badly. I do wish, however, that some of us would choose hair that more closely matched our own - picture me ducking.:eek:
It is still hypocrisy because many of them do not have great hair naturally. They are bulking the very thin hair they have. Many of them are wearing extensions that do not match their natural color. The woman on my job have auburn hair (dyed) and the extension on a few shades lighter. There were times when you saw pictures of Britney when she had hair, as rich as she was her extensions did not always match her hair color either. All black women are not wearing white people type 1 hair either.