How would you give hair care advice...

ScorpioLuv70

Doing it my way
...to someone that hasn’t asked for it?

I’d like to advise a friend on some healthy hair care for her and her daughter (who is nearly scalp-bald from early child relaxers and continuous braid extensions), but I don’t want to sound insulting. I know people outside this board probably wouldn’t understand things like MSM and MTG, but I think she could probably benefit from things like CWs and a few other simple regimens. I mean, I’m no expert, but I’d hate for her to feel like she had to rely on phony ponys and braid extensions for the rest of her life, that yes, everyone IS capable of having healthy (long or short) hair.

Any suggestions, or would you just keep it to yourself unless she specifically asked you? Maybe I should just send her a link, although LHCF could be a bit overwhelming her. :look:

PaperClip

My quick answer is that I simply wouldn't do it. I have learned that I cannot impose my values and beliefs and judgements on another person, especially when it comes to the health and welfare of their offspring.

Now, what might be a hint is to forward an article from a magazine or internet website and gently inquire that in case you'd like some info re. children's hair care, here's some information and then you keep steppin'.

Kimberly

If it was a friend and I was genuinely concerned about her and her child's hair...I'd either bring up the subject by first talking about my hair and asking her what she's doing for little Shenana or just straight out ask her what is up with the baby's head BUT it depends on our level of friendship AND if my own hair was on point at that particular moment.

Has your friend ever asked you about your hair care practices or showed any interest in learning or doing something different?

shocol

Let your hair be an example and maybe she'll wake up enough to ask what it is that you're doing to get healthy hair.

ScorpioLuv70

Doing it my way
:lol: at “little Shenana”

Thanks for the input. Actually, she’s always given me compliments on my hair – long or short. But then again, she didn’t seem to understand when I told her I cut it because I needed to recover my hair’s health before I refocused on length. It just bothers me that people tend to whisper behind her back, but no one thinks they should say anything. I feel a little selfish for not sharing at least a little info. When you see a child’s cornrows looking like stitches, what do you say? :confused: