HAIR HERE, THERE, EVERYWHERE - BIOTIN?

Edie

I know we're all taking a lot of vitamins, including biotin. I have gotten my biotin cut down from 12 to 8mg per day due to some of the side effects biotin. Namely very heavy, longer periods. I love the effect on my hair growth. My hair on my head is longer and so are my eyelashes. My daughter said it looked like I was wearing false eyelashes a couple of months ago and I just blew it off. But a few other people have commented on them saying they look almost false but they are not full like false eyelashes, just very long.

Well, I have faster hair growth all over and I do mean all over. I get bikini waxes and I tell you I am going back every 4 weeks now instead of every 6-8 weeks. I don't mind the longer hair on the head, longer eyelashes or even having to shave my underarms more often, but those bikinis waxes will pop your eyes out of their socket.

Have any of you ladies experienced any side effects like the above from taking large doses of biotin.

Allandra

I stopped taking biotin a few months ago (keep my already very oily skin even oilier).

Tebby1017

I can't remember who said this, but body hair is due to testosterone, not hair vitamins. I don't know if this is true though.

Tebby

Edie

Tebby said

I can't remember who said this, but body hair is due to testosterone, not hair vitamins. I don't know if this is true though.

Tebby

Well, the hair on my arms and legs is not really growing hardly any at all that I can tell. I have always had very hairless legs (both legs have a total of about twenty visible hairs on them). It's the hair that grows in patches like underarm, top of the head, eyelashes, etc that is growing like crazy.

DDHair

Well I think I have PMed you before about the additional hair growth. I have cut back on my biotin vitamins, because I was afraid that I was getting an increase in facial and arm hair, I did notice a change in my eyelashes too. But you know I think I am just going watch it all together, I mean I don't know what to do, I want to drink my protein and hair shake smoothies, but I am afraid of what the biotin will do. I am a very hairy person anyway, but I am not trying to grow facial hair in particular, because I am into acting and if I make it big, unless I can get electrolysis (or some other 100% guaranteed hair removal system) I don't want to be getting hair removed on a regular.

debyjay

Oh Allandra say it aint so! I have very oily skin and I'm taking biotin, now that you mention it my face does seem slicker than usual and Edie my period went from three days to four! What's a long hair seeking girl to do??? Jeez, I simply can't win.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Well, I've been taking biotin since August of this year and the only new growth I've noticed is my nails. They are comming in sooooo nice. (except for this one that I love to chew on) Sorry its nerves I'm a single mom with a teenage daughter. So I guess I should be greatful that I have any hair at all and that I havent chewed my nails completely off. Back to the biotin , not much on the hair side but I will not quit, I will get long hair, I will, I will, I really really will. Yes I can do this.

A_Christian

Edie and debjay, I'm glad you mentioned this. After tests that ruled out other causes, I believe it was the excess of biotin in GNC's ultra nourishair that was causing irregular periods for me. After I stopped taking the vitamins my cycle went back to normal. I guess the dosage was too much for me but it probably won't have this type of adverse effect on everyone.

Allandra

Yes girl. It was so.
I stopped taking it a few months ago. I mean, there's a little biotin in my multi-vitamin. So, I'm cool.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
A_Christian said:
Edie and debjay, I'm glad you mentioned this. After tests that ruled out other causes, I believe it was the excess of biotin in GNC's ultra nourishair that was causing irregular periods for me. After I stopped taking the vitamins my cycle went back to normal. I guess the dosage was too much for me but it probably won't have this type of adverse effect on everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's interesting because my cycle was unusually light this month. I wonder

Not saying that's a bad thing though!

A_Christian

about it not being a bad thing. I'm pretty sure that the biotin or something in the GNC vitamins was affecting my periods because other possible causes were ruled out. I am going to stick with my centrum multi-vitamins, there's not nearly as much biotin in them, but it seems like they help my hair to grow a little faster in addition to having a healthy diet.

candycane

Edie,

Quite a long time ago I used to take biotin and discovered that they destroyed the consistency of my periods. They would be late and they would be incredibly heavy and very painful. I did not know what to attribute it to, til I assessed my supplements. I slowly removed supplement after supplement and discovered that it was the biotin that was causing the problems. I LOVED the faster growth I was experiencing, but the painful cycles just weren't worth it. So I gave up biotin. Every now and then I feel a little daring and may take 1 pill perhaps 4 days out of the month. But nothing like the regularity in which I once took them.

Candycane

Edie

Well, I've gotten my biotin amount cut by one third so I will see how I do with that amount. My periods have gotten ridiculously heavy and last longer than usual. They are regular though, never late, maybe a little early in fact.

Hopefully the smaller amount will be something I can live with.

chyna

Thank you for shedding some light on something for me. I have had the two heaviest periods of my life these last two months. But I have also been taking an extra 600 mcgs of Biotion. I even went back on the pill because it scared me so bad. Thanks again, I may have to curb the biotin usage!

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
The only side effects from biotin for me is more hair on face,chest and legs.

[/ QUOTE ]

CHEST HAIR???!! YIKES!!!

MariahB2KFan

For me the only things I've gotten was longer eyelashes and nails. Also my hair everywhere on me has gotten stronger. Shaving my legs takes longer now, what a bummer. As for the period thing, EXERCISE will help. Believe me, being active has many benifits.

MoezThunder

[ QUOTE ]
MariahB2KFan said:
For me the only things I've gotten was longer eyelashes and nails. Also my hair everywhere on me has gotten stronger. Shaving my legs takes longer now, what a bummer. As for the period thing, EXERCISE will help. Believe me, being active has many benifits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I hit the gym w/ my trainer 5-6 days a wk; so maybe I can get all the bennies and none of the bad
Whats a good dose to start with? Ima start praying now that those 3 or 4 chin hairs dont turn into 40

karezone

It did not effect my period but the hair all over my body is growing very fast. My nails are very white and strong. I have also experienced the eyelash thing.

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
candycane said:
Edie,

Quite a long time ago I used to take biotin and discovered that they destroyed the consistency of my periods. They would be late and they would be incredibly heavy and very painful. I did not know what to attribute it to, til I assessed my supplements. I slowly removed supplement after supplement and discovered that it was the biotin that was causing the problems. I LOVED the faster growth I was experiencing, but the painful cycles just weren't worth it. So I gave up biotin. Every now and then I feel a little daring and may take 1 pill perhaps 4 days out of the month. But nothing like the regularity in which I once took them.

Candycane

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea biotin could affect your menstrual cycle that way. I'm glad I read this thread.

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
MariahB2KFan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish that excercize thing worked for me. After over 7 years of this mentrual thing (lol) I've found the only thing that works for me is Advil and lying down in just the correct position

To the original poster of this thread, you might want to try another cut back. You might get the same results (on your head) with only 5mg. Hope all works out.

felicia

[ QUOTE ]
Edie said:
I know we're all taking a lot of vitamins, including biotin. I have gotten my biotin cut down from 12 to 8mg per day due to some of the side effects biotin. Namely very heavy, longer periods. I love the effect on my hair growth. My hair on my head is longer and so are my eyelashes. My daughter said it looked like I was wearing false eyelashes a couple of months ago and I just blew it off. But a few other people have commented on them saying they look almost false but they are not full like false eyelashes, just very long.

Well, I have faster hair growth all over and I do mean all over. I get bikini waxes and I tell you I am going back every 4 weeks now instead of every 6-8 weeks. I don't mind the longer hair on the head, longer eyelashes or even having to shave my underarms more often, but those bikinis waxes will pop your eyes out of their socket.

Have any of you ladies experienced any side effects like the above from taking large doses of biotin.

[/ QUOTE ]

what brand of biotin r u taking?

1ariel

I find this threaded very interesting. I have already ordered the powder form of biotin so that I can add it to my protein shakes because I can not handle taking any more pills than I already am these days. So I can't wait to see if the extra biotin will do for me.

Valerie

The only thing, I have experienced, is under my arms need shaving more, but my hair is getting a lot thicker and growing a lot faster, plus my nails, no problems with my period though.