Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2015

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm so ready for this monthly hormonal weight gain to drop off... I know it's temporary, but it still bothers me :(

davisbr88

FollicleFanatic: if you're motivated in that way, you should definitely check out Dietbet! That's what I use. It's similar to your Biggest Loser game in that you put in money except everyone who meets their weight loss percentage gets a piece of the pot instead of just having one person or one team win.

FollicleFanatic

FollicleFanatic: if you're motivated in that way, you should definitely check out Dietbet! That's what I use. It's similar to your Biggest Loser game in that you put in money except everyone who meets their weight loss percentage gets a piece of the pot instead of just having one person or one team win.

Hmm I will look into that... Lose weight and make some cash? That is right up my alley hehe. Thanks!

davisbr88

How's everyone doing?
I just started out doing a 20/4 intermittent fasting schedule yesterday, and I am loving it! I started IF when I was LC before to get through a stall, but I wanted to start earlier this time because I really like the energy it gives me! My window is 10-2 since I prefer that my food has enough time to digest throughout the day. I find that eating later than that makes sleeping uncomfortable since it takes me so long to digest. It's nice to wake up not feeling like I'm weighed down so heavily. I will keep it up for as long as I can - I will definitely be ready for my first meal in 30 minutes!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I went shopping for my grandma's bday gift today. She will be 80 on the 4th. We are all going to Louisiana to celebrate with her. There will be lots of food and drinks, but also lots of dancing, volleyball and other physical activity. I can't wait to see all of my cousins. I just wish I was slimmer already :ohwell:

apple_natural

^ that sounds so fun! It makes me hungry lol

Went on another run today.

How I felt before: excited for the endorphins lol

During: tried my compression calf sleeves. They are taking some getting used to. For now, they just felt like useless resistance on my calf, but they don't hurt and I don't feel knee pain. My ankles felt a little tight so I focused I'm on them during my stretch. I didn't stop to walk!!

Afterwards: awesome as usual.

Hair: finally putting in box braids. Arm pit length ones. I have half a head done. Took 3 hours

apple_natural

We're back up! !!!!! Yaaaaayyyy !!!!

Back to business. ..

Fitness:
jogged 3 miles 3 times last week
yesterday, I jogged 3 miles averaging 14 mins. The first was 12 then the others were a bit longer. I should have started slower and ended faster like the other times I jogged.

Anyway as long as I'm averaging less than 16 minutes per mile I'm fine with myself.

My long run goal is 10 minute mile average. working to get there at the end of this 20 weeks.

I can't tell if I'm losing any weight because my scale gives me different weights all the time. I will just keep trying, especially with portion control and snacking >_< I can't start my meal plan until next month

Last edited:

apple_natural

Oh hair...( I can't edit.)

Box braids took about 6 or 7 hours total. I didn't keep strict count. It was faster than usual. Hopefully I can keep these up until the start of June.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I have been very active while the forum was down. I bought a fanny pack to wear to the gym so that I can put my phone, id and keys in there.

I will have to exercise at home today, but I'm hitting the gym first thing in the morning.

davisbr88

Yay! We're back! I began a circuit training workout 3 times per week, and I am loving it! It's more realistic than that boot camp I totally gave up on altogether, and I am more interested in lifting than cardio (I hate cardio!).

apple_natural

I guess I had a rest day today. I wanted to go running, but we had heavy rain by the time I was ready. I need to find my T25 videos so I don't have an excuse to not do something inside. I was supposed to do 30 mins cross training today anyway.

@davisbr88 You have been doing some difficult cardio. Have you tried low impact cardio lately?

This sparkspeople link has a 4 week walking plan that is supposed to be 300 calories a day. That's pretty good, especially if you keep up your strength training along with it
http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=walk_off_up_to_10_pounds_in_28_days
Also! Elliptical!!! That's cardio. Its low impact (easy on the knees).

davisbr88

@davisbr88 You have been doing some difficult cardio. Have you tried low impact cardio lately?

This sparkspeople link has a 4 week walking plan that is supposed to be 300 calories a day. That's pretty good, especially if you keep up your strength training along with it
http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=walk_off_up_to_10_pounds_in_28_days
Also! Elliptical!!! That's cardio. Its low impact (easy on the knees).

I will do some eventually, but the shaping of my body and improvements in my health are not linked to a lot of cardio. The biggest factor in my health improvement is diet, especially because I am in ketosis, which keeps me in fat-burning mode. I have a large amount of muscle mass naturally and overtraining on cardio (when I thought it was the only way) was always an issue for me. The only time I didn't strain was when I was swimming pretty regularly.
Anyway, my doctor confirmed that two days of 30-45 minutes would suffice, and that I should largely focus on training 3-4 days per week instead. I also do a lot of walking just because of the size of my campus in the mountains (I walk at least 3-4 super hilly miles per day going back and forth to work and class). I definitely can use the heart benefits, though, so I will eventually put in the cardio (I plan to in May), but it's just not a focus for right now.

apple_natural

@davisbr88 Awesome!

I'm trying to figure out how people afford all these good looking fit meals with chia and junk like that or if it's just that I'm cheap.

Hair: coconut oil on my scalp is helping me not to tear it up while in these braids.

davisbr88

@apple_natural: The ONLY way I can afford those kinds of things is if I absolutely do NOT go out to eat at all. Usually I can get away with not doing that for about 2-3 weeks, but then one day I will just be too tired to cook and it will turn into a delivery kind of day, which will spread to like a week at least... lol.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I burned at least 1000 calories today doing zumba and hiit. I also did arms and abs...

My diet was pretty good I guess. I drank a lot of water and I didn't have anything sweet :)

I'm just gonna keep burning calories until I'm exhausted. I'm having a pool party for Camden and Chloe next month so I need to at least drop 1lb a week until then.

davisbr88

@Prettymetty: go, girl! I've been strength training almost everyday and I am loving it. I thought I was going to hate working out again, but I think I have hit my sweet spot.
@naptime: what are Spanx jeans? Like jeggings?

apple_natural

@Prettymetty One pound a week is completely reasonable to me. You can do it!

@davisbr88 I'm happy we found some exercises we like!!! I'm loving jogging. Sounds like success already right!? lol

@naptime Let's see them!

As for me, went on a jog with hubby today. 3 miles. Averaged 15 minutes per mile but! Felt great! Talked the whole way! ! It felt like it went fast just because I felt great. Jogging puts me in a great mood.

Still going to down to at least a 12 minute mile. .. a higher goal is 10 minutes per mile, but I will work for that next year before my run in February. For now, i just want to average 12 minutes.

Hubby runs 8 minute average miles. Maybe the year after next I will try for that lol

naptime

@Prettymetty One pound a week is completely reasonable to me. You can do it!

@davisbr88 I'm happy we found some exercises we like!!! I'm loving jogging. Sounds like success already right!? lol

@naptime Let's see them!

As for me, went on a jog with hubby today. 3 miles. Averaged 15 minutes per mile but! Felt great! Talked the whole way! ! It felt like it went fast just because I felt great. Jogging puts me in a great mood.

Still going to down to at least a 12 minute mile. .. a higher goal is 10 minutes per mile, but I will work for that next year before my run in February. For now, i just want to average 12 minutes.

Hubby runs 8 minute average miles. Maybe the year after next I will try for that lol

I keep trying to attach a pic but I can't :(

Lovely_Lady82

Hey ya'll, hope it's not too late to join. Here are my plans for 2015:

Hair Goals
Current Length: SL
2015 Goal Length: BSL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 4a/b
How you will achieve goal: Cowash once a week, remember my scarf every night,, and braids and wigs as protective styles when I get tired of styling my hair.

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 210
Goal Weight: Ultimate Goal is 160-170. it has been 12 years since I've been this small!!
Current Dress Size: 16
Goal Size: 8
How you will achieve goal: Workout 5 days/week: Cardio and Weight Training class at the gym. Restart logging on my fitness pal. Start making green smoothies as meal replacements.

***Quoting to remind myself of my goals. ***

It's time to get REAL with myself. I work out 3-4 times a week by going to Zumba classes but I don't lose weight. In reality I need to up my intensity and incorporate muscle building exercises. Plus I have no discipline when it comes to eating and I love sweets and fast food. I need to drastically clean up my diet. I ordered 21 Day Fix so that I can be on a structured program which focuses on clean eating, which is my main problem.

From here on out I will be setting weekly exercise goals, meal prepping twice a week according to the 21 day fix meal plan, and checking into this thread daily.

On the hair front, things are going great. I gave myself a hard protein treatment and have started using Wen as my co-wash/deep conditioner/leave in. I'm also protective styling by wearing wigs 95% of the time. I'm about 2 inches from apl and hope to make apl by my birthday in August.

I am rededicating myself to this challenge!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hair Goals
Current Length: APL
2015 Goal Length: MBL
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: Natural
Hair type: 4bc
How you will achieve goal: Low manipulation, monthly Dominican blowouts, maybe celies under a wig for a few weeks...

Weight/Fitness Goals
Current Weight: 164
Goal Weight: 130ish
Current Dress Size: 8
Goal Size: 4
How you will achieve goal: Counting calories, 3 workouts per week, 3 bottles of water daily, 3 veggies a day, daily affirmations, reduce my stress
I must confess: I have not consistently done 3 workouts per week and my stress is still there. My weight this morning was 168. I am starting over today. My goals are to lose 1-2lbs each week, drink several cups of water daily, get 75 grams of protein daily, and do at least 10000 steps daily (on my fitness watch).

As soon as my phone is fully charged I am headed to the gym. I will do some circuit training and 30 minutes on the elliptical. I will do abs when I get home. My official weigh in day will be Monday except during TOM. I should really avoid the scale during those days...

apple_natural

I'm into healthy fit meals, but I get overwhelmed because they look so expensive and we need two different meals in the house. Hubby needs stuff to plump him up and I don't want to eat all his starches and carbs or else starve. We need to find a middle ground.

I want to start gardening in pots on my patio. I think this will help me keep up a healthy eating mentality. I can stay excited about it this way I think

I'll grow an avocado tree (yep in a pot), dragonfruit, aloe vera. I want to hang strawberries..

Of course I can't just stop there. I have to want quinoa, carrots, and onions. Raspberries, blueberries, and hang tomatoes.

1: I don't have that much space
2: My Mom killed my idea with three words... birds, bugs, rodents... Gross.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work lol

eta: we have space. Hang one upside down thing of strawberries and one of tomatoes. I can put spinach on the top side. five pots along the front, one each of avocado, dragonfruit, aloe vera, quinoa, carrots. And a pot of raspberries in the corner. :D.. now am I too late for this year...

Oh and my herb garden holder on the side: basil, thyme, rosemary...Some more things to keep mosquitos away like citronella and rosemary. I think I can grow garlic inside and onion

I'm excited lol

Running 4 miles today

Hair: keeping it moistened and coconut oil on my scalp

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I've still been working out and eating healthy. Except Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I didn't work out. My doctor put me on rest for my sane problem leg until today. Best believe I was back at it today lol. Anyway I didn't loose nor gain last week so I'm hoping this week will be better even though aunt flow came yesterday and I was told you usually put on a few during that time of the month.

Ajna

It has been a while since I posted. So first updates I am finally under 150 (147.8) YAY but the best part is I lost 2 inches on my thighs.

I have been doing the intermittent fasting and you know it is awesome for me. I do the 16/8 so my eating hours are between like 3 and 11. Now it is not quite like what is on the bodybuilding website but similar I wake up and drink water with lemon then a cup of coffee with cream and sugar then more water. One day I was really starving and I had a protein shake but most of the time I am not even hungry. Then around three when I get hungry I start off with soup normally because it is fast easily portable and yummy. Then I move on to meat and veggies recently I have been loving Szechuan spicy green beans and either rainbow trout or lake trout favorite meal. Then the last meal I add in my carbs recently I am all about the baked sweat potato and spaghetti before bed I usually have greek yogurt and blue berries. I feel really good though like I have more energy.

Still not going to the gym as much as I should but I keep trying - work has been kicking my butt. I would like to go three days a week so far I make it two and then work out at home for the remaining three, I tell myself better than it was but I feel like I am full of it. When I do go I have gotten good at the dumbbells but I still feel a bit nervous about the barbell . Oh and I am neglecting my abs - funny how you know stuff and still do it the same anyway ***sigh*** Been working on my butt but I am not seeing change - not sure if it is me or really no change.

As for my hair I have been doing the MHM method for about two months and I have seen some really great changes in my hair. I had to tweak some changes to work for me. As for length I cut it so I am starting over again but the shape is so much better. Anyone who wears their hair curly all the time should really consider a divacut. I choose to cut quit a bit off the back because of the shrinkage on the top of my head did not match the back but you know I don't even miss it. I love the fact I can get up in the morning spritz my hair was water a tug here and a pull there add some oil and I am good.

Ajna

I'm into healthy fit meals, but I get overwhelmed because they look so expensive and we need two different meals in the house. Hubby needs stuff to plump him up and I don't want to eat all his starches and carbs or else starve. We need to find a middle ground.

I want to start gardening in pots on my patio. I think this will help me keep up a healthy eating mentality. I can stay excited about it this way I think

I'll grow an avocado tree (yep in a pot), dragonfruit, aloe vera. I want to hang strawberries..

Of course I can't just stop there. I have to want quinoa, carrots, and onions. Raspberries, blueberries, and hang tomatoes.

1: I don't have that much space
2: My Mom killed my idea with three words... birds, bugs, rodents... Gross.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work lol

eta: we have space. Hang one upside down thing of strawberries and one of tomatoes. I can put spinach on the top side. five pots along the front, one each of avocado, dragonfruit, aloe vera, quinoa, carrots. And a pot of raspberries in the corner. :D.. now am I too late for this year...

Oh and my herb garden holder on the side: basil, thyme, rosemary...Some more things to keep mosquitos away like citronella and rosemary. I think I can grow garlic inside and onion

I'm excited lol

Running 4 miles today

Hair: keeping it moistened and coconut oil on my scalp

You can totally do container gardening - the easiest are tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, swiss chard and zuchini/squash.

The garlic will be a problem typically we plant it in fall then harvest in June at least on the east coast and onions have a lot of root they get really long.

I did a lettuce bowl for a friend who had surgery it was pretty and she said it lasted about two months