Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2013

jcdlox

Hair Goals

Current Length: NL
2013 Goal Length: Full SL (slow grower)
Relaxed, natural, texlaxed: relaxed
Hair type: 4B
How you will achieve goal: air drying, roller setting and phony bunning.

Weight/Fitness Goals

Current Weight: 160
Goal Weight: 140-145
Current Dress Size: 10
Goal Size: 6
Fitness Goal: Back to running condition (cardio, core and leg strength) for summer to run 5K and 10K and maybe half-marathon

Update: hair is making good progress. Finally got it to a blunt neck length from breakage and layers so now hoping to make shoulder by end of the year if not sooner. My hair is loving Mizani Butter blends relaxer and seems to be growing faster.

Weight progress is slower, I started Turbofire 3 weeks ago and have only lost 2.5 pounds so far but I've worked out every day so will just keep going.

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
Still making progress. My clothes are fitting loosely now :grin::grin:

Also, I have noticed that since cutting the gluten out of my diet and eating more whole foods that my new growth comes in sooo much softer and looser. I am definitely sticking with this healthy lifestyle :yep::yep:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I've been on a mostly fruits and veggies kick for the past three days. I've lost 1.4 lbs so far. I've drastically reduced carbs and sugars. I'm still working out 4 days a week.

As for my hair, I bought the NJoy sulfur mix and am applying it nightly. Today I applied it and baggied for a a few hours before cowashing it out with AO HSR.

SunySydeofLyfe

5 months pp.....gained so much weight. Joined this challenge recently but didn't post stats. Out in the garage taking my neglected shoes in i discover a bin of clothes...feeling myself i tried on a top...that mug sat right on top of my stomach...its time to get serious!!

Suny

aliyah7

Weekly Check-In:

Weight: Things are still going good. I'm trying to maintain the weight I lost on the drops; that's going great so far. Still no exercise yet. I am just not normally the exercise type... But, I plan to change that.

Hair: Still in twists, applying Sulfur hair growth oil every other day. I was thinking about a visit to the hair shop to get it flat-ironed. Since I cut my ends, I am wondering how long it is straight.

londonfog, D.Lisha, LadyEuphoria007, strawbewie, BGT- Where yall at?

Froreal3- Hey, I know you're doing the Njoy challenge, and I plan to join sometime after i finish my current sulfur oil, but I am trying to get down the bagging thing. Can you explain that to me or show me where I can find Njoy's bagging method? Thanks.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Aliyah You just put your oil on your scalp, massage it in for a minute, then place a plastic cap (even a plastic shopping bag) on your head. Then you put your scarf over that and sleep with it. Njoy suggests you co-wash it out the next day/morning. I don't co-wash every day, but I do the baggying part. It's really the GHE (greenhouse effect) to maximize the effects of the sulfur oil mix.

aliyah7

ETA my updates!

Weight: since November I have gained almost 10 lbs. could it be that being in love as made me pick up the lbs? Lol smh. We decided we are gonna lose weight together!

As of 3/19, I am 151.4. I'm doing the ABS diet for 6 weeks and plan to use those eating guidelines continuously after that. I know that I should eat healthy, but the structure of having meal plans and recipes helps. Right now, I am deciding on my meals and making my shopping list. I will also be doing the exercises on the DVD that came with it.

Somewhere along the way, I kinda loss track on my weight goals, but I'm back now! I will try to check in once a week from now on, starting with this week.

Hair: My hair is doing great. It looks like I will reach BSL by June and then I will strive for MBL by December.

Take Care ladies!

Hey jprayze, I know I've seen you here a few times, and meant to reply, but would get side-tracked or something. So glad your hair goals are doing great. I know you've mentioned doing the ABS diet. Hows it going? I was looking into that diet last year, but I was already doing the Belly Fat Cure diet at the time and didn't get into it. One thing I do remember is MUFAs. LOL! Oh, and even though I did not do the diet part of it, I did attempt to do the exercises in the back of the book a few times. I'd notice good weight results the next day after doing them. Well, keep us posted on how things go.

jprayze

Hey jprayze, I know I've seen you here a few times, and meant to reply, but would get side-tracked or something. So glad your hair goals are doing great. I know you've mentioned doing the ABS diet. Hows it going? I was looking into that diet last year, but I was already doing the Belly Fat Cure diet at the time and didn't get into it. One thing I do remember is MUFAs. LOL! Oh, and even though I did not do the diet part of it, I did attempt to do the exercises in the back of the book a few times. I'd notice good weight results the next day after doing them. Well, keep us posted on how things go.

Actually officially starting the diet tomorrow...kind of loosely though because I did a lot of substitutions. I'm basically following the eating guidelines to give me some structure. I'm probably going to start the exercises tomorrow too. I have to schedule my exercise or I won't do it! I will definitely keep you all posted.

BGT

Hair: I got a touch up yesterday and gave myself a trim. I think I'll have to decrease my stretches to 8 weeks because I get too impatient detangling new growth. But I think I'm BSL. :grin:

Weight: down 16 lbs. still doing C25K but I'm incredibly sore from a kickboxing class Friday, I can barely move. :lol:

Last edited:

jprayze

I remember MUFAs from the flat belly diet. I actually got down to 129 lbs..didn't want up go any lower but I still had a tummy! I don't think the exercises with the flat belly diet were rigorous enough.

I want to exercise today but I'm so tired. :-(

MGA2013

Weight check in: lost 2.6 pounds, ( total weight lost: 25 lbs). I'm 15 lbs away from my half way goal! And i have 40 more days until my graduation! I'm kicking it up a notch with 2-day work outs.

Hair: I've been washing more because I sweat a lot at the gym. My hair is much softer since I've been using NaturelleGrow DCs and moisturizer. I will be washing my hair tomorrow!

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
I really really really want to reach my waist length minigoal by my next relaxer in Mid April. I've got a month to get there and I am going to go hard until then. I found some old threads talking about cayenne pepper and olive oil so I tried it today and my scalp was very warm :blush: I plan to alternate days with my liquid gold sulfur. I wish it was warm enough to do daily cowashing in the mornings.

aliyah7

BGT & MGA2013- Great weight loss!

I still have about 15-20lbs I'd like to lose until I reach my final goal. I am so happy to finally be getting smaller. Now if I could just get my hair growing good. :)

Lucia

Hair: buns and braid outs, I was going to flat iron, but I'm doing Insanity workouts there really is no point to straightening then just sweating out the next day.

Fitness: Insanity week 2, I'm still at it, different parts of my body get sore, like this week it's sore abs, butt, thighs. I do see some slight improvement in my performance, I don't take as many breaks, I'm pretty much taking breaks when Shaun and the crew do. I'm actually doing the push up jacks now :grin: I'm happy about that. I haven't weighed yet cause I want to be pleasantly surprised.

londonfog

Weekly Check-In:

Weight: Things are still going good. I'm trying to maintain the weight I lost on the drops; that's going great so far. Still no exercise yet. I am just not normally the exercise type... But, I plan to change that.

Hair: Still in twists, applying Sulfur hair growth oil every other day. I was thinking about a visit to the hair shop to get it flat-ironed. Since I cut my ends, I am wondering how long it is straight.

@londonfog, @D.Lisha, @LadyEuphoria007, @strawbewie, @BGT- Where yall at?

Hola Chica!!

Body: I had gotten down to 153 lbs a few weeks back but the last couple of weeks, I've been maintaining between 154-156. I've been hitting the gym at least 4 times a week & really focusing on doing the 5K at least 2 out of those 4. The days that I don't do the 5K I do several weight machines afterwards. I've been meaning to change up my routine to include some cycling for about 30 minutes & at least one all strength training day each week so this will probably boost my days up to 5 a week. I have someone on Tumblr that I follow & everytime I look at one of her pics I go harder in the gym, LOL! I also have saved some waist whittling exercises that I want to start incorporating at least 3-4 nights a week on my Pinterest page. They have great exercises that you can do at home on there!! Been keeping up with my vitamins & water intake as well.

Hair: I've been following the same routine now for at least 2 months & my hair is growing really well & healthy. I am a few days over 8 weeks post & looking to go another 10 weeks with my "Relaxed Buddies." Applying E-QP Mango Butter & Olive Oil directly to my NG & brushing into my 4 ponytails has made stretching a breeze!!

jprayze

Hey!!! I just joined MFP as jprayze. If you are on, please find me on there. Just beginning to track my food and its very eye opening!

With my breakfast, lunch and snack I'm already at 996 calories today. My daily goal is 1200, but I realistically know I will be a little over. Although I do not want to exceed 1500.

jprayze

ETA my updates!

Weight: since November I have gained almost 10 lbs. could it be that being in love as made me pick up the lbs? Lol smh. We decided we are gonna lose weight together!

As of 3/19, I am 151.4. I'm doing the ABS diet for 6 weeks and plan to use those eating guidelines continuously after that. I know that I should eat healthy, but the structure of having meal plans and recipes helps. Right now, I am deciding on my meals and making my shopping list. I will also be doing the exercises on the DVD that came with it.

Somewhere along the way, I kinda loss track on my weight goals, but I'm back now! I will try to check in once a week from now on, starting with this week.

Hair: My hair is doing great. It looks like I will reach BSL by June and then I will strive for MBL by December.

Take Care ladies!

It seems restarting the challenge was the best thing I could have done. For the last week, I've been monitored what I eat; although I haven't exercised. I weighed in this am at 150.2, so I lost just over a pound. Hoping to cross over into the 140s when I check in on Monday.

BGT

Hey!!! I just joined MFP as jprayze. If you are on, please find me on there. Just beginning to track my food and its very eye opening!

With my breakfast, lunch and snack I'm already at 996 calories today. My daily goal is 1200, but I realistically know I will be a little over. Although I do not want to exceed 1500.

The most important thing is to make sure you are NETTING 1200 calories. If you exercise, you need to eat enough calories to be over 1200. If I were you, I would let MFP decide how many calories to consume because 1200 is the bare minimum to consume.

jprayze

The most important thing is to make sure you are NETTING 1200 calories. If you exercise, you need to eat enough calories to be over 1200. If I were you, I would let MFP decide how many calories to consume because 1200 is the bare minimum to consume.

I will do that. I just saw that feature and thought that was cool. Thanks!

jprayze

My biggest challenges are my schedule and being just plain tired! Yesterday, I walked 30+ mins, but that was because my 2nd job was cancelled so I had more free time. Today, I was so exhausted after training on my regular job and working on the 2nd job that it was all I could do to do minimal housework and take care of the dog (at least she ensures that I am somewhat active everyday).

jprayze

My biggest challenges are my schedule and being just plain tired! Yesterday, I walked 30+ mins, but that was because my 2nd job was cancelled so I had more free time. Today, I was so exhausted after training on my regular job and working on the 2nd job that it was all I could do to do minimal housework and take care of the dog (at least she ensures that I am somewhat active everyday).

Just wanted to update and say I'm squeezing a light walk into my lunch break, not to get sweaty but enough to burn a few calories.

Lucia

This week was a bust, everything got in the way of my workout schedule. But I did do other type exercise, lifting, bending running walking but not everyday and didn't get 1 day of Insanity in this week. I'll just repeat this week and actually do the workouts.

jprayze

I stopped to get fast food on the way home and my stomach didn't like it at all. I think it got used to healthier eating. :-/

aliyah7

My weight jumped up today, in the early 60's. Plan to eat light next few days or so.
I NEED.....TO......DO......SOME.......EXERCISE!! I will get it going one of these days.