Hair falling out after texturizer...HELP!!!

jshug

Hey ladies, haven't posted in a while but I'm about to have a "come apart"!!! I have been natural since 2009 and tonight I got so frustrated I bought a just for me and called myself texturing. I only let it stay on long enough to finish my entire head, neutralized, conditioned and now my hair is falling out whenever I touch it or comb it...what did I do wrong and how can I make it stop?

Iluvsmuhgrass

Did you neutralize thoroughly? I hate to hear this OP. :( I'm not sure how to help. Hopefully other ladies will chime in.

irisak

I've been using that same product for years and have the same questions. Also if you haven't detangled in awhile or prior to the texlax it could be shed hairs working their way down the shaft.

Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. *sigh* auto correct

Last edited:

firecracker

Sorry you are going thru hair issues. I am texturized also but I use Motions Moisturizing Relaxer twice a year only. I would also like to know what you mean by falling out? Maybe you mean excessive shedding every time you comb or run your hand down the length of your hair. Did you do some type of Protein DC after applying the texturizer?

I ask those questions because I had something like that happen to me after a Bigen and Aphogee application. Every time I washed and combed I could almost fill the small bathroom trashcan. Nobody believed I was shedding because I have alot of hair and it didn't really show. Back then I was relaxed bone straight. My hair also felt like dried wheat and was yellow looking at the ends. I found out my hair had to have a balance of moisture and protein. I couldn't use heavy laden protein products. I cannot remember that other protein conditioner that was discontinued that was also the rave on the board. I do remember it had a number #21 or 22 in the product name. It did the same thing to my hair the Bigen did. Maybe one of the ladies can recall the product I'm talking about. It wrecked havoc on my hair but I did recover.

In order for the shedding to stop I started DC'ing with Nexxus Humectress the time it happened after the Bigen application. The other time when I used the protein conditioner I cannot recall the name something 21 or 22. I DC'ed with Sebastian 2plus1 which unfortunately is off the market.

Recently say about two months ago I hadn't been combing my hair out after washing nor once a week. I was wearing wash and go's consistently. I was only finger combing. I ended up having quite a few knotted tangles in my hair but I wasn't using Nexxus Humectress as a leave in either. Which is something I always did for years. I started back using Nexxus moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I started back weekly deep conditioned with Nexxus Humectress ,as well as, using it as a daily leave in. I stopped wearing the W&G's daily. I am mostly wearing a bun, 2 flat twist, braid and twist outs instead. I also rock a combed out Afro like in my avatar. If I wear a curly fro I make sure to comb it out then apply my styling product and I don't do as much scrunching. I use Ms. Jessies styling products and the buttercremes for moisturizer.

I learned first hand and from my old stylist that my hair couldn't take heavy protein laden hair products. It had to be mostly moisture w/a little protein which is why 2plus1 was a staple until Sebastian discontinued it a few years ago. I was so upset because I have yet to find another similar product. I am sure if I contact my old stylist she would have a replacement recommendation. She knows my hair because I went to her from 1988-1993. I moved from Los Angeles and found another stylist. When I moved back from NYC in 2002 I returned to her. She was my stylist from 2002-2005. I went natural in 2005 so I no longer needed a stylist since I didn't wear my hair straight that often nor used heat on my hair outside of DC'ing.

The only other products I use is Neutrogena Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, along with Sebastian Penetrate conditioner nowadays. I've been texturized again since NYE this year. The last time I was texturized for a little oover 2 years. I learned alot about what works for my hair and managing it so this time around I doubt if I will ever go back to bone straight hair. I prefer curly hair and the options to straighten if I'd like. Texturizing is a happy medium for me.

I do recall back when I was natural and texturized the first go round 2005-2009, I got a professional hair consult. The stylist said whatever I was using was doing great on my hair and continue using it. I was using Nexxus shampoo and conditioner religiously and the left over 2plus1. I used to buy the huge bottle of 2plus1 that cost $58 bucks. I sure wish I was aware they were going to discontinue it because I would have bought 10 huge bottles to tide me over for years.

Well I hope things get better, you get to the root of what is causing the hair come out and find a remedy to problem. I know how you feel because I was in a panic both times it happened to me. This last time it wasn't shedding but I got careless which caused the knots. As a result of the knots I have a few sections inside that are shorter but they are not noticeable and I know it will grow back in as long as I comb my hair out and use the Nexxus religiously too. I hope sharing my experience helps you in some way.

Last edited:

Misseyl

The last time something like that happened to me I left the relaxer on too long. You didn't time the relaxer so that might be the cause. What I finally did was cut it all off and start again from scratch and that has been two years and 8 months ago. IMO no proteins, conditioners or treatments will work to stop the breakage, the only sure thing is to start over.

firecracker

firecracker

I think the product is infusium 21.
Cherrypie no its a product that was discontinued not Infusium 21. That is still alive and kicking it. It was all the rave around here when I first joined and folks swore by it. When it was discontinued folks was selling it for 5 times the price on ebay etc. I am going to pm JamericanGurl she will remember the name. I found a bottle last year under my sink and gave to my friend in Brooklyn. It worked for many just not my hair. :perplexed

Also for the record perm/relaxer has been left in my hair aka not totally rinsed out and it was stuck to my scalp. I never cut my hair out or had to start all over. She doesn't have to cut her hair out. If I have had two stylist bring my hair back to life and also did it myself I'm sure she can too. OP there are many products out there that will stop shedding/clumps of hair coming out. You will just have to be gentle with your hair after the fact to bring it back to life. If old perm took everybodies hair out and leaving perm on too long I'd be scalped by now!!!!! Everyone's hair is different. My hair is very resilient. I can and have left a perm on for over 1 hour and more nothing happened. Again my hair is resilient and it laughs at relaxers of all kinds and brands. While my sisters hair was totally different. If I didn't tell folks I was texturized they would never know I wasn't natural.

Last edited:

HanaKuroi

I don't think it is salerm either but I think it starts with an s.

Everyone fell out and occasionally someone willfind one and start crying. :) this was before my lhcf time. Every now and then people mention it.

Last edited:

VinDieselsWifey

jshug said:
Hey ladies, haven't posted in a while but I'm about to have a "come apart"!!! I have been natural since 2009 and tonight I got so frustrated I bought a just for me and called myself texturing. I only let it stay on long enough to finish my entire head, neutralized, conditioned and now my hair is falling out whenever I touch it or comb it...what did I do wrong and how can I make it stop?

What type of condition was your hair in before you texturized it? Was it strong & healthy? If your hair wasn't in great shape before the texturizer using chemicals could make problems worse. I was natural for 7 years before I texturized back in 2006. I prepped my hair for about 2-3 months before I did it. I was doing protein and deep conditioning treatments weekly to make sure my hair was in great shape before I used the chemicals.

How long did you leave it in for? What strength did you use? Do you know if the box had an expiration date on it? Who knows how long that relaxer had been sitting on the shelf.

How long did you neutralize? Neutralization isn't instant. You have to work up a lather, let it sit for at least 5 minutes, rinse, and repeat. When I was texlaxed I neutralized 3 times 5 mins each for a total of 15 mins.

First I think you should neutralize your hair again, this time letting it sit for 5 mins each time and make sure you're working it in your hair really good.

Then use a good chelating shampoo. Kenra Clarifying & Joico K-Pak Clarify are good. Chelating shampoos remove mineral deposits in the hair. This was a no-lye relaxer and they can leave a build up on your hair.

I don't know how much protein your hair can handle but I would use a strong protein or reconstructor, something with keratin protein in it. Joico K-Pak Reconstruct is one.

Then I would use a moisturizing deep conditioner. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose is good.

Use a good leave in like Elucence MBC and seal in the moisture with a hair butter or oil then keep your hair in a protective style and do low manipulation.

Then I would do weekly light protein treatments using Aubrey Organics GPB, deep condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, use a leave in and moisturize and seal and put in a protective style with no-low manipulation. Moisturize and seal daily or a few times a week.

After a few weeks of this then I would assess my hair to see how it's doing.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

Last edited:

Evolving78

jshug

that happened to me when i first relaxed last year. there was a lot of shedding, due to shed hairs not being fully removed and caught up with my natural hair.

i don't think you have anything to worry about. just moisturize and give yourself a light protein treatment. oh and make sure you fully detangle your hair. detangle before you wash if possible with an oil.

dicapr

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. I had a similar expereince when I decided to texlax my virgin hair. What fixed the problem was using a low pH conditioner. That stopped the shedding within seconds. I recommend ApHogee ProVitamin Leave-In Conditioner. It worked very well. Unfortunately my hair had broken off from APL to neck length in a matter of weeks which resulted in my second transition.

Raspberry

A low pH shampoo/conditioner like dicapr suggested could only help. I would use Roux Porosity control shampoo/condish stat.

jshug

Ok back from panic mode, I think it was a combination of shed hair (I hadn't combed it in 4-5 days,mainly wearing w&g's) plus I am 5 wks postpartum. My hair is in great condition prior to this but I think it was mainly the chemical. I did some research and it appears that most people add oils and condish to the relaxer...I didn't. That night I just braided it and left it alone. The next morning I rewashed it with cheapie conditioner, I hear those have a lot of protein, and did an apogee protein treatment. This helped tremendously. I only see a few broken pieces when I comb it. I plan on doing another treatment later on this week. One thing I noticed, a few of my ends turned yellow? Wth? The first pic is the 2nd round of hair after I freaked out, just imagine 3 times worse, the second is my ends, and the third is after the protein treatment etc. pls excuse the tired face:) I'm not sure if I ever want to do this again... I cheated myself bc now I have to transition all over again. Thank you to everyone who chimed in. Anyone texlaxed who straighten, how o you keep it healthy and how often do you texlax?

Attachments

• image-80959491.jpg
    image-80959491.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1153740858.jpg
    image-1153740858.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2546206804.jpg
    image-2546206804.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Dposh167

I texlax.....and u keep your hair healthy just like anyone else with a relaxer. You have to keep up with protein...moisture...and detangling properly. I don't think u should give up that quickly on it. I mean if you chose to texturize..u must have done it for a reason. All the hairs i'm seeing in the sink look like shed and broken hairs from not combing for those couple of days. Quite normal.

WHen i texlax, I do a thorough comb thru. Like even 2 days before. I really make sure that all those shed hairs and tangles are out

jshug

Which relaxer do you use? And do you add oils and conditioners to your mix? I texlaxed bc with the new baby I don't even have an hour to dedicate to my hair. I feel better about it today:)

Dposh167

I use Silk Elements lye...in regular. But i'm switching to mild for my next one. No i don't add anything to my relaxer. i never felt right about adding all this stuff to a chemical like that

karenjoe

it's common after having a baby for some women to lose hair...
a lot of women have a low grade fever after delivery... which can cause their hair to shed. if not right away eventually....
I had an appendectomy as a teenager( low grade fever after surgery)
my hair fell out in clumps.it grew back 2 mos later

pattyr5

I had similar issues after using Alter Ego texturizer. I used Aphogee and Emergencee trying to get things under control and they didn't helped and only seemed to make matters worse. What helped me was regular use of light protein DC's, Ayurvedic Oils and OMG henna!!! Just after the henna application alone more than half of the shedding stopped.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
jshug. You used the wrong texturizer. Those cheap box texturizers will only jack up your hair...cause that's what Pink texturizer did to me, and I had to BC after using it, because it made my hair relaxer straight. I now use Linange Shea Butter Texturizer, and I cut it with 2 tbsp of Aussie 3min Miracle. It's really mild, and I've never had issues with shedding or damaged hair. It also doesn't kill my curls.

Also, don't forget to do a deep moisture DC.

firecracker

jshug your hair and you are beautiful. Thanks for the update and pictures. I also agree it looks like the hair in the sink is just ends and tangles from your comb out. When you texlaxed you probably should have combed out and added conditioner. I usually put it in my conditioner or have Humectress already on my hair as a leave conditioner. Those yellow edges could be from too much protein w/o a good balance of moisture. I only get yellow edges from too much protein as I stated upthread.