hair shedding and falling out is there a difference

natural2008

Hey Ladies,
Is there really a difference between hair falling out and shedding?

Thank You,
Natural2008

soulie

The pros may correct me, I think the distinction is the quantity. Excessive shedding to the point of causing discernible thinning could be called "falling out".

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Yes, shedding is a normal process of your hair cycle and happens regularly. Breakage is not and should be corrected depending on what's causing it.

Usually shed hair is long with a bulb, and breakage hair is shorter with no bulb

Excessive shedding is not normal and should be checked by a doctor.

Last edited:

soulie

Yes, shedding is a normal process of your hair cycle and happens regularly. Breakage is not and should be corrected depending on what's causing it.

Usually shed hair is long with a bulb, and breakage hair is shorter with no bulb

Excessive shedding is not normal and should be checked by a doctor.

I think we're both right; but I thought the OP was asking about falling out from the root, not breakage. Maybe she'll clarify. :yawn:

natural2008

Hey Ladies,
I am curious about shedding and falling out and do no know the difference if there is one. My hair has not been nice lately and has been coming out more than usual and I do not like it. I recently gave myself a protein treatment so i hope it stops. I did that last night followed by the balencing moisturizer and now I am at work sitting with a plastic cap on my head under a bonnet with a cute hat on with some deep conditiner on my head. I get my hair straightened every 2 months or so and plan to go to the sop next week to see if my hair looks really thin. I am so mad. I got my texturizer touched up on DEc 20 and immediately noticed that my hair was coming out with every comb so I washed it a week later and did not comb it until I washed it. that week which was last week I washed it co-wash as always and noticed that my hair was coming out again in large amounts. This did not happen when I first got my texturizer. so last week my stylist gave me a protein treatment and told me to do it again this week if I see that my hair is coming out. I wear my hair in a twist out and only comb it once a week and lastnigt when I washed my hair I did not comb it out before washing, nor before the protein treatment. I know that i am going to have some hair loss since i only comb my hair once a week, but yall this here is not the nor. so I am mad at my hair right now.

soulie

First, look at the fallen hair and determine if it is shedding (with a white bulb on the end) or breaking (meaning broken somewhere on the shaft).

If this started post-texturizer keep up the weekly protein treatments. Aphogee or Nexxus Emergencee are both excellent for stopping post texturizer breakage. Also, do plenty of deep conditioning.