My hair is falling out.... HELP

Tresses

Well for those following. My hair is at a break even state right now. It's not getting any worse or any better, just the same. I poo'd Monday and while my hair was wet I did a strand test and it just ripped apart. You could hear it stretching and breaking apart. eeeeeek

I just laughed it off though. I did another aphogee and I just let it air dry. I'm keeping moisturizer on it everyday and sealing it in with olive oil. Not much styling in that huh. And my social life is hurting from it.

I'm trying to figure out when will be a good time to do a sew-in and how will I know. Because I don't think my over processed hair will ever be revived you guys. I think it's just dead hair that I'm basically trying to keep it on my head. What type of life is that???

I wish I could afford a lace front wig. Now I would do that, but those wigs they sell in the BSS - :nono:

Lioness

Ok so my stylist colored my hair to blond about 3 weeks ago.

I tried to stretch the relaxer as long as I could since it was July 20th since I had my last one.

Today I relaxed my hair with Affirm regular. I rinsed the relaxer out and was about to put the reconstructor on it when I noticed that my side burn area was literally gone. I began pulling on my edges and the hair was just ripping apart.

I put the recon on it and waited a few. I then neutralized and I put a little conditioner on while detangling. OMG, I have clumps of hair coming out. Its all in the shower, everywhere. Every time I comb, all I see is blond hair. I am not over exaggerating either ladies, my hair is literally coming out.

Right now I have keracare humecto con and affirm recon on with a plastic cap. I'm afraid to do anything to it. As you can see in my profile pic, my hair is past shoulder length. What do I do?

Hi Lesley, sorry I'm late in on the thread...

Your hair will recover with some Lov and tender care. My hair was damaged a few years back, and I nursed it to health by :

Praying
Drinking carrot juice to strengthen the roots
NO heat
No manipulation (braids ALL the time)
Deep conditioning every time I washed
Vits (Multi, Amino acids)
Cutting All the damaged hair off.

I do hope you feel better, great thing is that hair always is in the process of change, it is always growing, so hang in there, the breakage will eventually stop once your hair is restored back to health.

I agree with the other posters who have stipulated that protein may not be the best idea right now. Your hair is fragile, and therefore you need to find the optimum balance of moisture and protein.

If your sides are damged badly, you could try BT as the results are noticeable.

****warm hugz****

aloof one

I think the last thing you need is Aphogee. All that protein could be doing more harm than good. If you just use moisture and don't manipulate you should be fine.

Well for those following. My hair is at a break even state right now. It's not getting any worse or any better, just the same. I poo'd Monday and while my hair was wet I did a strand test and it just ripped apart. You could hear it stretching and breaking apart. eeeeeek

I just laughed it off though. I did another aphogee and I just let it air dry. I'm keeping moisturizer on it everyday and sealing it in with olive oil. Not much styling in that huh. And my social life is hurting from it.

I'm trying to figure out when will be a good time to do a sew-in and how will I know. Because I don't think my over processed hair will ever be revived you guys. I think it's just dead hair that I'm basically trying to keep it on my head. What type of life is that???

I wish I could afford a lace front wig. Now I would do that, but those wigs they sell in the BSS - :nono:

Tresses

Ahhh thanks ShiShi. I need as many smooches as possible.

Ok so forgive me for drowning the hair in protein but at this point I don't know what to do so I figured Aphogee would be best.

Summa Bliss - you are not the only one that suggested a cut but can someone answer me this. As you can see in my pic, all of my hair is colored (except for the 1/4" new growth) so am I to assume I'm supposed to cut all of my hair off? I mean because that is what I would be doing.

Right now I am wearing a scarf and I soaked my hair in vitapointe and EVOO. I will back off from the protein but funny during this whole ordeal, my hair never seemed to be moisture depleted. I donno.

I can't stand the thought of starting over from scratch. OMG:wallbash: this can't be happening to me. If I cut all the damaged hair off, I won't have anything to braid :cry:

Is a sew-in possible at this point. Come on lhcf, give ya girl some hope, lol.

gymfreak336

Ok so forgive me for drowning the hair in protein but at this point I don't know what to do so I figured Aphogee would be best.

Summa Bliss - you are not the only one that suggested a cut but can someone answer me this. As you can see in my pic, all of my hair is colored (except for the 1/4" new growth) so am I to assume I'm supposed to cut all of my hair off? I mean because that is what I would be doing.

Right now I am wearing a scarf and I soaked my hair in vitapointe and EVOO. I will back off from the protein but funny during this whole ordeal, my hair never seemed to be moisture depleted. I donno.

I can't stand the thought of starting over from scratch. OMG:wallbash: this can't be happening to me. If I cut all the damaged hair off, I won't have anything to braid :cry:

I don't know if you want to do that given that your hair is fragile and you would have to braid it to sew a weave in. What moisturizing conditioners have you been using?

locabouthair

maybe you can do a gradual cut. That's what I'm doing.

ladybug71

The ladies on here have given great advice. I can't say anthing that hasn't already been said, but I think your recovery rountine sounds like a winner, just keep at it. So sorry that happened. :hug2:

jwhitley6

As if you guys needed a visual....

And more as I comb.......:nono:

This happened to me about 6 years ago. It was so bad, I couldn't even be mad about it...It was mildly entertaining, actually. Sometimes you just have to let go and realize that it's just hair and it will grow back. You live and you learn....enjoy the transitional phase. Get a cute cut and rock that thang!

As if you guys needed a visual....

And more as I comb.......:nono:

I am so sorry this happened to you! :hug2:

I made a mistake a few weeks ago as well, and I was just able to stop chunks of hair from falling out this past weekend. It will get better before you know it, and you will see beautiful hair swinging from your head again.

I feel a little sad reading ur OP,, I dont have much advice and it think youve gotten a lot of good advice here,, I hope u are able to halt that breakage or shedding,, do u know which it is?,, the color really looks good on you,,, and well you know this.. but it will grow back,, you will have to baby it for a while now...keep us posted:bighug:

changedlife

I am Sorry that happened to you . I know what you're talking about, it happened to me too. Try clarifying poo and conditioner w/ tea tree oil, it will clarify your scalp of any chemicals residue. Giovanni triple treat is the best :yep:. Also apply aloe vera over night and rinse it off in morning, it will heal your scalp, help your hair, and stop loss. You can use aloe life skin gel. Don't forget deep conditioning, Soignee MSM has a wonderful deep conditioner.
I hope that helps!

Tresses

Thank you guys for the continued support. I'm using Kenra & Keracare cons and roux233 as a leave in. I think I have both shedding & breakage.

At this point I'm just disgusted.

janeemat

I read through this entire post last night while under the dryer. First, I'm soooo sorry about your hair. I literally had a pain in my chest for you. All of the ladies have given you good advice. I experienced something similiar in 2005 at the hands of my stylist using demi permanent color. It was a gradual fall out over the course of 3 months until I realized what was going on. I had twa all through my head. The good news is, that it will grow back. Just keep washing and deep cond/protein at least every 3 days and it will definitely become healthy again. Oh, stay away from the permanent color.:nono:

PanamasOwn

Ok so my stylist colored my hair to blond about 3 weeks ago.

I tried to stretch the relaxer as long as I could since it was July 20th since I had my last one.

Today I relaxed my hair with Affirm regular. I rinsed the relaxer out and was about to put the reconstructor on it when I noticed that my side burn area was literally gone. I began pulling on my edges and the hair was just ripping apart.

I put the recon on it and waited a few. I then neutralized and I put a little conditioner on while detangling. OMG, I have clumps of hair coming out. Its all in the shower, everywhere. Every time I comb, all I see is blond hair. I am not over exaggerating either ladies, my hair is literally coming out.

Right now I have keracare humecto con and affirm recon on with a plastic cap. I'm afraid to do anything to it. As you can see in my profile pic, my hair is past shoulder length. What do I do?

I TRULY feel your pain...I went through this 2.5 years ago...I waited the exact same amount of time that you did.. (colored my hair 3 weeks prior and then put on a relaxer) My hair LITERALLY FELL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SHOWER IN CLUMPS. it was sooo bad that I was completely bald in some areas. Like all I had left was some scab hair. For me the solution was to NEVER color my hair again and start all over. Luckily I had enough hair on my head to hide the bald spots. I cried for months. Honestly my advice, stay away from color and relaxers for a while. Let your hair recouperate and grow. I wore wigs for a while to just leave my hair alone, and once I finally got a little bit of hair in those bald areas (6 months later ) I threw in some braids. This really helped my hair grow. I waited for about 1.5 years before I put another relaxer on my head and in June of this year decided to go natural. I NEVER, want to feel that way again. My heart goes out to you..... :sad:

Last edited:

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
:bighug:
This is one of those times I wish we could all posse up and come to your house.

I agree Group Hug! :grouphug: I wish you all the best with your hair. It probably seems worse than it is because you're scared. Just remain calm and act quickly with your protien and moisture treatment. You'll be okay :yep:

bgsix

I hope everything works out for you. I think you should continue to do what you are doing and don't think about a sew in at this point.

:bighug: to you and know that time will make it better.

Tresses

Thanks for all the love and support you guys! It really means alot to me, how much you'll never know. A friend of mine purchases her lacefronts from a vendor for only $200

She's going to email me the info later and I guess I'll be doing that for a protective style. I will slowly cut my hair off in stages. A few inches here and there:cry: and continue to nurse my tresses back to health. I'm trying to research the boards and rearrange my regimen to include vits, healthy eating habits, ect. I won't be relaxing probably until early summer if that.

I may look into going natural. But one thing at a time:spinning:

Thanks for all the love and support you guys! It really means alot to me, how much you'll never know. A friend of mine purchases her lacefronts from a vendor for only $200

She's going to email me the info later and I guess I'll be doing that for a protective style. I will slowly cut my hair off in stages. A few inches here and there:cry: and continue to nurse my tresses back to health. I'm trying to research the boards and rearrange my regimen to include vits, healthy eating habits, ect. I won't be relaxing probably until early summer if that.

I may look into going natural. But one thing at a time:spinning:

You know what that is a great option if you take it. So much of my hair came out that I cannot stretch my relaxer anymore. I didn't want to do a big chop, so now I am transitioning. After reading all over the forum. I came to realize that I can wear my hair in natural and straight styles. So in a few months I will have the best of both worlds. Hopefully you will too.

*Muffin*

Don't manipulate your hair at all. After you rinse the DC out of your hair, just put a satin head scarf over your hair and let your hair rest for a day or two. Be really gentle with it.

scribblescrabble2

All I can really add is that it will get better. The ladies here gave great advice and I think that you will be o.k..

Oh, one thing that *may* help is getting a clear color gloss (you know-like Sebastian colorshines, Clairol jazzing, Adore and those Dominican ones at roundbrushhair.com). I heard that they put a protective coating on the hair to reduce breakage. I am no expert though, so do some research. Good luck.

Dove56

QUOTE=lesley;3121977]Thanks for all the love and support you guys! It really means alot to me, how much you'll never know. A friend of mine purchases her lacefronts from a vendor for only $200

I may look into going natural. But one thing at a time:spinning:[/QUOTE]

Sis, I'm sorry you are going through this. :imsorry: Lord only knows how many issues I've had with my hair, coloring, relaxing breakage and all the rest. I recently had some breakage from some blond highlights and I will never do it again. I just tried to look on the bright side, and thank the Lord that it's only hair and it will grow back. Trust me I've been there too, my breakage was so bad some years ago that I cut all my hair like Halle Berry's and shaved the back. It was the best thing though because it gave me a chance to start again. You are very pretty and you'll have no problem finding a style that will fit you while you are in transition. I also recommend that you give viviscal a try, it'll help you grow your hair back really really fast. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

God Bless and Keep,

V

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

Whatever you are doing, keep it up. Your hair looks pretty doggone good. To be honest, I was expecting A LOT worse.
Ditto. The color looks great on you too.

You might want to consider going natural and keeping the color rather than run the risk of double-process damage again. There are a number of ladies on the board who are natural and straighten regularly (Pink Skates comes to mind) and could offer styling advice.

In the meantime, as so many have said, reduce manipulation and washing until you feel comfortable with how your hair is behaving. You and your hair will both be fine.

Tresses

thanks V and miss tress. I'm actually ok. Didn't really panic about the thing at all, I actually laugh it off because I know it will grow back I'm more p'd at the fact that I'm limited on styling. Better yet restricted to any styling at all so I have to be anti-social. Me and my boo-face haven't been out on any dates lately, my b-day, xmas, and new years is coming up. But it's all good.