Semi-perm color with steamer?

starfish

I'm going to do a rinse on my hair for the first time tonight. My stylist uses Clairol beautiful moisturizing line so that's what I'm using.

At the salon I sit under the dryer with the rinse on, but what about using my steamer? Won't it open up the hair cuticle so the rinse will penetrate better?

Also, I have 3C/4A relaxed hair and love to swim, how often can I give myself a rinse?

It's getting to the point where I know I"m going to have to make the decision of whether to swim or have alot of gray hair. My fine-ish hair can't handle demi or perm color AND a relaxer. :(

iri9109

i've never tried that...but it might work? rinses really are made to just coat the hair like paint, while dye chemically opens the cuticle (more than what steam can do) and lifts pigment, so steaming might only slightly intensify the color, or make it a lil bit more longer, but it wont be drastic.

do you use a swim cap while swimming?

starfish

i've never tried that...but it might work? rinses really are made to just coat the hair like paint, while dye chemically opens the cuticle (more than what steam can do) and lifts pigment, so steaming might only slightly intensify the color, or make it a lil bit more longer, but it wont be drastic.

do you use a swim cap while swimming?

Thanks! Yes, I use a swim cap. Two, the first is lycra and it keeps the silicone cap from tearing out my hair.

Yeah I'm just trying to cover the grays, not really put alot of color on my hair. In fact I use a really light color so it won't interfere with my natural hair color, which I love.

My stylist says my grays are starting to resist and I need to start thinking about demi perm. If I have to go to demi perm I can kiss swimming goodbye. :nono:

Charz

Sinister Minister
I wouldn't do it. It will cause harm to the steamer.

When I henned once, the little drip bottle had red fluid in it. That means that stuff is collecting/filtering into the steamer. Not a good look.

starfish

I wouldn't do it. It will cause harm to the steamer.

When I henned once, the little drip bottle had red fluid in it. That means that stuff is collecting/filtering into the steamer. Not a good look.

Wow Charz thank you! I didn't even think about that.

I'll just use my dryer and keep it simple!

shunemite

I have 3C/4A relaxed hair and love to swim, how often can I give myself a rinse? (

To answer this question, I use the Clairol brand (beautiful collections) or Jazzing, and I like them coz they are both ammonia and peroxide free. You can give yourself a rinse as often as you like since it's just coating the hair. I think what will limit you is the cost for how often you do it. If I use it with a dryer it usually lasts me 6 washes, or a month. Since you swim a lot you will probably use it much sooner. I can't give you a good estimate of an exact time frame.

tidit

I’ve had Clairol Beautiful, Jazzing and Cellophanes applied to my hair at a Dominican Salon. My stylist used a dryer and when available she used a steamer. At the time my hair was relaxed. In my experience:
1. Steamer color appeared slightly more intense than dryer color.
2. Steamer color lasted longer (6 washes vs 8 or so washes). I believe that
steamers are intended for use with color.
3. Jazzing was drying. Beautiful was Ok. Cellophanes lasted longest.

Bottom line …yes to using a steamer.