Hair Boot Camp Challenge

SandySea

Calling all ladies who, like me, are tired of chasing their tails! Let's be proactive about our hair health and growth and go into "Hair Boot Camp." Personally, I'm at a stand still in my hair progress and I know it's because of little habits that are sabotaging my goals. I've decided that it's time to get intense about sticking to a healthy hair regimen. My initial goal is to stay on this challenge for six months.

So what is the Hair Boot Camp Challenge about: creating and sticking to a regimen that works for your hair. The only rule is to cut out what you know is harmful to your hair and to committ to an intense healthy hair regimen. This means going above and beyond the usual for at least six months.

If you're interested in such a challenge, start thinking about what you may be doing that leads to less than optimal results. Then be proactive and eliminate those habits, replacing them with and intense healthy hair regimen. Remember, everyone's hair is different and what works for one may not work for someone else. Be open minded and willing to use trial and error to find what works.

I think it would be great if we all share a little about the following:
1) Current condition and length of hair.
2) Hair goals.
3) What needs to change.
4) Future regimen

For the ladies who wish to join the challenge, we'll check in at the beginning of each month for the next six months. We'll count March as the first full month and we'll finish in August.

Ready, set, grow...... :weird:

Last edited:

SandySea

Here goes:

1) Currently my hair is recovering from breakage thank to getting over zealous with my first hooded dryer. I fried some of the hair at the top of my hair by using the high (1875 watt) setting. The breakage has stopped, and now it's time for recovery.

2) My goal it to have healthy looking hair with little or no breakage.

3) Change: Stop manipulating my hair so much due to wearing it down frequently. Also, I need to stop using intense heat on my hair and combing it so much.

4) New Regimen: Wash weekly with CON shampoo and follow with Motions CPR and moisture plus. Conditioner wash mid-week, I haven't decided the conditioner yet. I'll do a heavy duty protein conditioner monthly using Aphogee treatment for damaged hair. Moisturize daily with Profectiv breakfree and use Hask placenta leave-in. Wear protectiv styles most of the week and only comb twice a day. Not a complicated regimen, but better than what I have been doing.

baglady215

I'll join you. :)

1) Current condition and length of hair. - Currently a few inches from BSL. My hair is actually doing well. I stopped properly caring for it for much of last year but it has bounced back due to some major TLC.

2) Hair goals. - Growth, retaining length, and moisture. Growth I can't do much for except MTG and vitamins. Moisture is my biggest problem, and it happens to also be the key to retaining my length. I would :love: to reach BSL by the end of this challenge.

3) What needs to change. - I need to take my vitamins regularly and continue with my almost no-heat regimen. Also I would like to stretch at least 12 - 13 weeks.

4) Future regimen - Wash and deep condition twice per week (too many choices of products to list here). MTG/Surge on slow-growing front half of hair. Protein treatments once per month. Relax every 3 months. Save flat iron for *special* occasions.

cocoberry10

I'm definitely in on this challenge.

My condition is okay. It is not unhealthy, but my last 2 relaxers were underprocessed (and this was after stretching 34 weeks without a relaxer (stretched with airdrying and braids) so I've got lots of "new growth." However, trying to work with two textures is difficult. My hair is armpit length in back (it might actually be longer, since it shrinks) and shoulder in the front.

2) Hair goals.
I would like to reach healthy brastrap length this year. I joined in late 2004, and I've had growth, but always something sets back my growth. I would like this year to reach my hair goals. I would also like my hair to be completely even. I don't want different lengths anymore (i.e. shoulder/collarbone in front, brastrap in back). I want it all to be the same even length. My fine hair will look fuller this way.

3) What needs to change.

I've been bunning everyday for the last month. I would love to straighten my hair, but I am resisting the urge to do so, because it would require heat (blowdrying and curling or flat ironing). I want to see "how long" my hair is, especially since there is at least 4" of underprocessed hair, but I am trying to keep away from heat.

I also recently started rinsing my hair almost everyday (sometimes, I'm just too tired/busy). I've found that my 4a/b hair responds really well to frequent contact with water and conditioner or moisturizers. This is making styling without heat a little easier (although it's still sometimes fuzzy looking). But I keep focusing on the goal, and that's been keeping me up.

I will also try to use MTG more frequently and WGO. I hate the smells of both, and what they do to my pillows/sheets. But I do have thin edges, and want to fill in small gaps.

4) Future regimen

I have been taking vitamins, but want to add MSM (as many ladies think it's been helpful). I plan to up the MTG and WGO.

CO wash/hair rinsing everyday.
Bunning
No heat until May 2006 (that's gonna be rough)!
Rolling
Moisturizing 2X a day
Relaxer in May 2006 (that will be an 18 week stretch since my last one which was underprocessed)

SandySea

Welcome aboard to the ladies who have joined the challenge. It looks like you're all off to a strong start. Remember, let's stay intense about our hair care for at least 6 mos. Healthier, longer hair--here we come!

morehairplease

Count me in ladies!

1) Current condition and length of hair:Currently, my hair(TWA) is extremely dry & brittle no matter how much conditioning I do.:confused:
2) Hair goals:I would like to grow my TWA to ear length by the end of this year.
3) What needs to change: I need to up my water intake & take my vits(hair, bition, & multivit). Lately, I have been slacking on deep conditioning, hot oil treatments & steam conditioning.
4) Future regimen: Deep condition once a week for 1-4 hours w/o heat or steam treatment for 15-30 min. Wash hair w/poo every other week making sure to do a pre-poo(night before or for 30 minutes on wash day). Scalp massages for 5-10 minutes a day a.m. & p.m. Apply luqix, an oil & scurl to hair daily. Limiting as much stree in my life as possible. Condition wash every other day(or every other two days).

ChocoKitty

However, I need to find someone I can trust to trim my hair. My ends are looking quite crazy right about know although I have not straightened my hair in a while. I know my hair is past Bra Strap Length. But, I'm not exactly sure of the truw length right now.
2) Hair goals.
Get back in the habit of taking care of my hair in a consistent manor.
3) What needs to change.
Stop being lazy. :lol:
4) Future regimen
Stick to washing my hair at least once a week and condtioning my hair with MTG weekend. Take vitamins and drink lots and lots and lots of water.

Blackbird77

Count me in to!

1) Current condition and length of hair: Natural, APL
2) Hair goals: Brastrap by September 2006
3) What needs to change: I need to remember to moisturize my ends in
the morning instead of just at night and deep condition under hooded
dryer more often

4) Future regimen: Deep condition once a week. Conditioner washes
every 3 days. No heat until June 2006. Water/oil ends 2x daily. Wear
conditioning scarf every night. Continue to not use combs or brushes.

asha

Current condition and length of hair: My hair is somewhat healthy. I need to work on my ends. Not sure of the length. It is texturized and i will be getting a touch up on Friday.

Hair goals: Healthy bouncing and behaving hair.

What needs to change: More protective styles to protect ends, more moisture, wearing head wrap at night.

Future regimen: Protective styles more times then not, Deep conditioning and protein treatments alternating weekly, cover hair every night, lots of water and take vitamins regularly.

Recherché.Beauty

Count Me In Please

1) Current condition and length of hair: My Hair is almost healthy.. I need to get a good trim or cut in. The length of my hair is some what shoulder length I guess
2) Hair goals- Healthy hair that's passed me shoulder blades by the time I reach 20
3) What needs to change- Heat, Heat, Heat...I need to cut it out for these 6 months
4) Future regimen- Co-wash every 2-3 days. Wear more protectives styles. Deep Condition Every 1 or 2 and more protein treatments

nelli711

Im in.

Current Condition & length of my hair: Somewhat healthy. Ends become DRY when they are not moisterized everyday which leads me to breakage. A couple inches below shoulder I'll say because Im 18 weeks post relaxer and I currently in braids until 3/28/2006.

Hair Goals: Brastrap length hair by 6/2007 by retaining the length. Minimal to no breakage.

Things that I need to change: Not moisturizing my hair as much as I should and to stop messing with my hair. (Hand in hair disease)

Future Regimen: Prepoo w/oil overnight. Co. Wash hair 2x week. Wash hair with actual shampoo every 2 weeks. Moisturize my hair ALL the time and always keep my hair in protective styles.

SandySea

Hello again! I'm glad to see the LHCF ladies who have chosen to join the Boot Camp Challenge. I believe that we've all made the first step in the right direction. We've reflected on what we've done or not done that may have led to less than optimal growth, and now we've formed a proactive plan to move forward.

Anyone else interested?