Hair Aha Moment...

Mom23

What was the moment that you realized you finally figured out what works best for your hair and that you were on the right track? I had been trying alot of different things, but I have finally learned the key to taking care of my hair.

I used to use heat at least 3-4 times a week, but I have mastered rollersetting and braid outs/twist outs and my hair has never been happier. I don't even remember the last time I used direct heat on my hair. That direct heat caused alot of breakage and split ends, but with a nice trim and doing the baggie method a few times a week, I have little breakage and I am retaining length. I am taking care of my ends because that is where most of the old hair is and it will eventually be trimmed off, but I keep them nice and moist. I would rather trim them than have them break!! My hair isn't the length I want it to be, but with all of the wonderful tips and advice I've learned here, I am on my way. :grin:

How about you? What changes have you noticed in you hair??

MizaniMami

I had an "aha" moment one day when I was stalking fotkis as usual. I always would think "aww her hair is pretty, mines will never get like that."

That night I went to sleep as usual and woke up the next day and starting thinking. In all of the nice-haired-fotkis that I stalked I noticed a common denominator-that all of them did no heat with little to no manipulation, moisturized daily, and had set regimens.

So now I decided that I will not use heat but once a month (except to deep condition). I think this is the only way that I am going to retain length very well.

It's only been a month into my journey, but I can't wait to see the outcome six mos down the road.

Isis

I've had many "aha" moments since discovering the hairboards and LHCF. My hair started thriving right away once I eliminated the heat, kept my hair and ends moisturized and learned how to rollerset my hair and do braidouts and buns. I feel I am on the right track since my hair is still thriving and I'm retaining length. I continue to get "aha" moments when I read some of the posts on this board, which keeps me addicted! :lol: .

Kimberly

I'm still waiting for my "aha" moment. I feel like something hasn't quite clicked yet. I don't know what's wrong with me or my hair.:confused:

maryj1584

Isis said:
I've had many "aha" moments since discovering the hairboards and LHCF. My hair started thriving right away once I eliminated the heat, kept my hair and ends moisturized and learned how to rollerset my hair and do braidouts and buns. I feel I am on the right track since my hair is still thriving and I'm retaining length. I continue to get "aha" moments when I read some of the posts on this board, which keeps me addicted! :lol: .

My thoughts exactly, I am soo addicted to this board

atlien11

I had my hair AHA moment when:

1. I realized that i CAN do my own hair and no one does it quite like me (betcha cant do it like me :D ).
2. I have been rollersetting my hair since highschool and I am still using this practice to this very day. and my hair has recovered from many 'stylist' set backs.
3. Trims are GREAT when the right person does it.
4. AHA...stretching my relaxers (+Phyto) do equal thicker hair.

Last edited:

Mom23

Kimberly said:
I'm still waiting for my "aha" moment. I feel like something hasn't quite clicked yet. I don't know what's wrong with me or my hair.:confused:

You will figure something out soon. Trust me it took a while for me to figure out what worked and what didn't. Just keep trying!! :)

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Mom23 said:
You will figure something out soon. Trust me it took a while for me to figure out what worked and what didn't. Just keep trying!! :)

Mom23 is so very right, Kimberly. Hang in there. I know from personal experience.

When I first got to this board I had been doing many of the suggeted techniques for healthy hair for years: no heat, using curl activator, wearing protective styles, conditioner washes, etc. I still had nothing but split ends, dry brittle ends and hair that was dull and dry looking when straightened.

My "aha" moment came in April 2004, four (4) months after I joined the board. I had been using the baggie method for four (4) straight months---on faith, based on one of the members having grown her hair from shoulder to waist length using this method, fully documented in her photo gallery/album.

I had no idea if my hair would get moldy or rotten or would be better or worse for the wear. I was scared and preparing myself for [the inevitable] disappointment [once again]. :ohwell:

I went to the beauty shop with the baggie still on my head. :p She washed and straightened my hair. I still thought there wasn't much of a difference.

Still feeling like maybe nothing would work for me, I took a good look at my pictures and thought, "Wow! :eek: My hair looks full and it has grown a lot in four (4) months." More importantly, my split end problem had been dramatically diminished. :D :grin:

My goal had been to have silky hair. I saw many women on this board go from damaged hair to beautiful, silky hair in 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months. My hair didn't even start to get just a lil' bit silky until after ten (10) months. :( :lol:

Even at that time, it had an improved shine, but it still wasn't silky like many of the ladies on LHCF. Everybody is different.

Some people get dramatic results very fast, and others, such as myself take awhile to get the results we want. I will say though, that my "aha' moment was more obvious to "catch" and see because I documented my progress with pictures. Pictures are so important, especially for helping to truly capture those "aha" moments. You can share your pictures or keep them to yourself. But take them for YOU and that "aha" moment may just be right around the corner.:)

macherieamour

My AHA moment came when i finally found the way to not only grow my hair, but keep it shiny, detangled and moisturized pre and post relaxer. I learned:

Roller setting is the best for my hair. Roller wrapping give me straight full hair with body and bounce and keeps my ends healthy (I have to beg for trims)

My hair benefits most from conditioning when its dry and wrapped with a hot steaming towel

If I do this, I suffer from no breakage, dryness and minimal shedding, My hair is stronger and shinier.

If I do this, I can heat style once a week and retain length, strength and moisture

Wrapping at night keeps my hair straight, silky and hydrated. Minimal product use at night is best

Washing my hair every 6 to 7 days is best for my hair. Too soon and I lose hair, too late and I lose hair

Applying Keracare dry and itchy scalp conditioner to my scalp for a few mins after I shampoo keep the itchies away for a week and my new growth soft

Using products with mineral oil on wet hair will leave my hair hydrated. On dry hair, mineral oil products make it the Sahara :(

Wearing hair up is best

In a nutshell:

Condition, condition, condition
Minimal Manipulation
Steam towel treatments- the only way I condition now
Roller wrapping

Doremie13

My "Aha!" moments:

It's okay to wash my hair more often.
Seeing "naps" when I didn't perm meant that my hair was growing.
My hair still looks nice when it's not combed, brushed, blowdried, flat ironed and curled every week/day.