Wet Bunning and Other AHA! Practices

Christelyn

So, I've been going back and forth with heat/no heat. Of course I know no heat is best, but my twists and wash-and-go's often tangled my fine hair so much to cause breakage, thus, defeating the purpose. So, I decided to adopt a low manipulation bimonthly wash/flat iron practice with some success, but still, there's always some breakage. Now that I have some length I've started revisiting the wet bun idea. BOOM! Problem with heat/breakage virtually solved. Last night I used Aveda Shampure and Condition and combed through with my Denman brush (this is key). Now, all the tangles are out, and will STAY out because the curls no longer twist in on themselves to cause knots. This was my AHA moment. I like to rinse my scalp often because I think it helps keep my pores open and I get more growth. Now I can have the best of both worlds.

Anyone else have an AHA! moment about some practice you might have poo-pooed before but discovered later that it worked great for you?

hmm maybe i'll try wet bunning some day. it just sounds like soggy wet damp scalp for a day, which would cause fungi and itching on the scalp. ewww! lol. and then tangled breaking hair when dried. lol. but obviously that's not true. :spinning:

Never tried wet bunning but I'm open to it. My aha moment was Pinkskates tension method when blowdrying.Can you say "LESS BREAKAGE ON TRANSITIONING HAIR"?
That and Hairveda products!!!!! I can't stress enough how good their line is!!!

Never tried wet bunning but I'm open to it. My aha moment was Pinkskates tension method when blowdrying.Can you say "LESS BREAKAGE ON TRANSITIONING HAIR"?
That and Hairveda products!!!!! I can't stress enough how good their line is!!!

What's the tension method?

hmm maybe i'll try wet bunning some day. it just sounds like soggy wet damp scalp for a day, which would cause fungi and itching on the scalp. ewww! lol. and then tangled breaking hair when dried. lol. but obviously that's not true. :spinning:

NOT AT ALL! And it'd take longer than a day for someone to develop a fungus or anything like that. :)

My AHAs:
pre-pooing with honey and oils

overnight deep conditioning

wet bunning for supreme growth and retention

twistouts on mostly dry hair for less shrinkage

cowashing

figuring out/ watching my hair's signs for when my hair needs protein (not too often)

I had a-ha moments with baggying and the comb chase method while flat ironing.

When I first tried to baggy, I would drench my hair in moisturizer and then put on the bag. In the morning, my hair would be soaking wet and it would look nasty. So of course, I was like...ew baggying sucks. Not so. I just didn't know what I was doing. With baggying, the moisture comes primarily from the bag, not from the product...I just failed to grasp that concept the first time around. So when I revisited baggying, I put just a very small amount of moisturizer, and got perfect results the next morning.

And with the comb chase method, when I flat ironed my hair, my hair would like..squeak and drag a little. Not good...I started getting midshaft splits from the snagging. It wasn't my flat iron, because the plates are smooth as butter and didn't drag when I let a friend use it. And she's natural. So I tried flat ironing with the comb chase method...I used a stiff boar bristle brush though. And voila..no snagging or squeaking. And my hair came out smoother and silkier overall. I was scared to do the comb chase thing before, because I was worried about mechanical damage, but my hair hasn't shown any negative effects from doing it, so that's how I'll be straightening from now on.

Wet bunning was my AHA moment. I can wear my hair in buns and go to the gym Monday through Friday without looking crazy and my hair is growing very nicely since I am not doing too much to it. I just get bored with the style and have to convince myself to keep wearing them.

cowashing/wet bunning when I'm 10+ weeks post. ZERO detangling effort because I comb thru under running water and make the bun in the shower. Then I smell like yummy fresh conditioner all day. This works wonders in the summer and keeps me cool :)

Co/washing and damp bunning. I let it airdry a little before I bun. Also detangling under running water. I got the idea from someone on here that is natural. It works great when stretching.

I started to wet bun as part of the whole bunning experience - then i read it on lhcf! :lachen: I love it though and i need no pins now! so i'm like super excited about my growth :grin:

Back